Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 497 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Getting paranoid, was it a test cut to see if it was noticed and come back later if not.
The screen was bent out. They pulled on it. Poking a screwdriver through would have worked too and made less damage. Very curious. I hate screens on windows that never get opened. If he doesn't open them, I would put the screens somewhere safe (attic is a good spot) to let more light in. Number the screens and windows if you do this to make it easier to replace before selling house.

I have a Canadian Tire Simonize 2000psi electric, I’ve beaten that senseless for 6 years. Other than o-rings in the hose and wand, no trouble.

I also have a gas BE 2400psi brand from Home Depot. Same thing, change oil once a year, use no ethanol gas and it’s been a 1 pull start for 5 years.

Had a couple of Karchers, too many brittle plastic parts that break, parts are crazy expensive. I won’t buy another.

Unless you’re using it for work, the big box specials to hold up to household duty for years.
Trying out this one. Good reviews and I’ve been impressed with anything Craftsman lately (B&D owned but the ones I’ve gotten are solid).

Day started off great with good progress. I think dad got lost when it turns out I can do most of the work and he had to wait to shape and fill the vertical joints.

Overall looks alright, but brick is brighter than yesterday because we rushed.

1725054645124.jpeg

Unfortunately I noticed there was a weird way he was filling the vertical joints. ‘This is faster’.

and this is now the result…

1725054708777.jpeg

I can’t scrub off the vertical butterfly wings….

FML

Day started off great with good progress. I think dad got lost when it turns out I can do most of the work and he had to wait to shape and fill the vertical joints.

Overall looks alright, but brick is brighter than yesterday because we rushed.

View attachment 69574

Unfortunately I noticed there was a weird way he was filling the vertical joints. ‘This is faster’.

and this is now the result…

View attachment 69575

I can’t scrub off the vertical butterfly wings….

FML
You're looking too close. Looks great and no will ever see that but you.
I do the same thing. One tiny imperfection and it's all I can see. Relax and have a cold one . You did good.

Wire brush on a small 4” grinder ?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Will try that thanks for the tip!

You're looking too close. Looks great and no will ever see that but you.
I do the same thing. One tiny imperfection and it's all I can see. Relax and have a cold one . You did good.
You’re right. Wife didnt even notice until I mentioned to her.

Started cleaning my shop , found three things a bought seconds of to replace them , 4 1/2 diamond wheel , set of winch pawls , the box of 3/16 x 2 stainless bolts . Not being tidy has a second price .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Looks like the bbq at the cottage has finished its useful life. Cannot turn the tank off underneath as it gets so hot through the rusted bottom that my wife was concerned it would explode.

How difficult is it to convert one from natural gas to propane? Is it even possible?

I can potentially convert the home one to take propane and buy a new / used one for the house.

Looks like the bbq at the cottage has finished its useful life. Cannot turn the tank off underneath as it gets so hot through the rusted bottom that my wife was concerned it would explode.

How difficult is it to convert one from natural gas to propane? Is it even possible?

I can potentially convert the home one to take propane and buy a new / used one for the house.
A good BBQ place should have a NG to LP conversion kit (or Amazon). There are plenty going the other way but havent seen many going the way you want.

so....yes, it is possible.

The official answer is maybe, but read this first.

The primary difference between Natural gas and Propane is energy density. Propanehas a lot more BTUs per cubic foot, to you don't need as much to run your bbq. Since you don't need as much, the gas valve on a propane BBQ has a smaller jet (orifice).

With all options, you must change the feed hose to an Propane type with the regulator. Salvage that off the old BBQ. You may need a coupler if the thread sizes are different.

Best Option: Some brands have jets available for both NG and LPG, others have run wide open on gas but include a factory regulator set regulator that can be used for propane.

Eastern European option: Run with the same jets - it will work but run a lot hotter. Upon first startup the flame will be sooty because there isn't enough air getting into the burner, set air vents to wide open. If the propane regulator is adjustable, remove the black plastic cap then turn back the adjuster (counterclockwise reduces pressure). Your BBQ will run much hotter so you need to be careful.

Always remember gas is dangerous. Like with electricity, I always say 'if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it'.

I'd look for a Marketplace for a nice used LPG BBQ with a spare tank for $50. Here's one in your hood, setup for both gasses. Log into Facebook. Stainless BBQ's shine up nicely with degreaser or citric acid cleaner.

Thanks @Mad Mike, I've been also looking on Kijiji and FBMP for a replacement. The one I have here was given to me by GTAMer a LONG time ago and is working great to this day.

The one at the cottage has been there....10-20 years or so...time for it to die unfortunately. I don't want anything too fancy as it'd be a shame if it got stolen. But something needs to be done as the current one is...not great.

Mike had a good writeup. Be careful as old regulator may be what has screwed up and caused the bbq to run hot. I don't know what the pressure is supposed to be on a bbq and haven't seen an adjustable reg in one in a long time.

Weber used to sell conversion kits for $100. They stopped doing that and tell you to buy an entirely new bbq to change fuels. Much more profit in new bbq.

My first and third (current) house were both hard plumbed for NG to the BBQ. It's pretty sweet not dinking with propane tanks and the fact it never runs out.

My first and third (current) house were both hard plumbed for NG to the BBQ. It's pretty sweet not dinking with propane tanks and the fact it never runs out.
The flip side to that is if you forget to turn off the bbq, the bill is unlimited. FIL went out to warm up the bbq one winter and it was free of snow. On high for a week or two as he turned it up to burn off the grill and forgot about it. Bbq is out a side door that sees very little use in winter. Most bbqs can consume gas faster than your furnace.

Back
Top Bottom