Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 486 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Gardena self retracting hoses ftw! We have two, one front and one back. Expensive but they work really well. No kinks, makes garden nice and neat. Comes in 120ft versions too I think. Costco occasionally has them for a reduced price.
For 100' hoses I want 3/4". Costco is 1/2" iirc.

Gardena self retracting hoses ftw! We have two, one front and one back. Expensive but they work really well. No kinks, makes garden nice and neat. Comes in 120ft versions too I think. Costco occasionally has them for a reduced price.
They are great. I also have 2.
However the one in the back which is shorter do the 2 doesn't seem to retract the last 5-8 feet of the hose.

Is there a way to reteach it how much hose it needs to retract?

Never tried the self retracting ones. Will look into it.

Thought that all hoses were the same standard size so I got the kit for fixing them and was planning on shortening some to go through the garage to the front from a faucet in there…turns out 13mm is not the standard size so now need a larger one. Effing hell.

Trying to create my own CN Tower glass floor

EDlW69W.jpeg

Also has anyone ever looked into these $70 PVC marble look-a-like sheets you can buy on Facebook Marketplace? I've decided I don't want to paint this window so I'm looking into cheap options.

They are great. I also have 2.
However the one in the back which is shorter do the 2 doesn't seem to retract the last 5-8 feet of the hose.

Is there a way to reteach it how much hose it needs to retract?

Yes. Unfurl the entire hose. Clean the outside to make sure there’s no dirt build up. Make sure it doesn’t wrap around itself when it winds up. If that doesn’t work I think there’s a YouTube video showing how to replace/rejig the mechanism.

Also has anyone ever looked into these $70 PVC marble look-a-like sheets you can buy on Facebook Marketplace? I've decided I don't want to paint this window so I'm looking into cheap options.

We have tile on our bay window. Easy to clean and looks good. It’s a sort of plank ceramic thing. Didn’t cost a lot at all.

1718853224026.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a bit of free time so did a bit of reading about blinds since I’m blown away how such simple things can be so pricey. Unsurprisingly it seems that most of the top manufacturers get their materials from 1 or 2 companies and many are comparable depending on whether you get the bottom tier line or not.

Anyone know what kind of commission the “consultants” are getting that come round to your house to discuss the things?

I had a bit of free time so did a bit of reading about blinds since I’m blown away how such simple things can be so pricey. Unsurprisingly it seems that most of the top manufacturers get their materials from 1 or 2 companies and many are comparable depending on whether you get the bottom tier line or not.

Anyone know what kind of commission the “consultants” are getting that come round to your house to discuss the things?
It has been a decade plus since I bought blinds... but even back then the sticker shock from the "blind places" was steep so I ended up just going with big box/Ikea/hardware store blinds and I made them work.

Sure theirs are better, but not 5X to 10X better.

It has been a decade plus since I bought blinds... but even back then the sticker shock from the "blind places" was steep so I ended up just going with big box/Ikea/hardware store blinds and I made them work.

I just bought some at HD, had them cut to size...and be done with it. I'm not spending 5-10x for someone to come in and install blinds for me.

The commission will include a cut from the manufacturer, a cut from the installer, and potentially a cut from the distributor depending on how they set up their contacts. But I think it's hard to get a hard number.

Our house came with eclipse shutters. I can't imagine how much they cost. I hate them. They look and function fine but 95% of them are never closed. They just block half the light from the window and make you feel like you are in a prison. If it was up to me, I would carry most into the attic so they could be reinstalled when we sell. My wife told me that isn't happening.

Our house came with eclipse shutters. I can't imagine how much they cost. I hate them. They look and function fine but 95% of them are never closed. They just block half the light from the window and make you feel like you are in a prison. If it was up to me, I would carry most into the attic so they could be reinstalled when we sell. My wife told me that isn't happening.
I was also told they they are not good for your window.
They won't allow the windows to breathe and create more condensation than normal.
Not sure if it's true.

I was also told they they are not good for your window.
They won't allow the windows to breathe and create more condensation than normal.
Not sure if it's true.
Since mine are always open, that's not an issue. If you close them, there is substantial heat buildup in the cavity. I haven't had a condensation issue. I'm sure there are situations where they make condensation worse (eg. high indoor humidity when cold outside and shutters closed so cavity is cold and glass gets below dew point).

White acrylic/plexiglass, cut to fit in the window's base. Caulk the edge.
I would just do it same as he said...1/4" maple plywood and be done with it.

Or if he wants to get fancy...get some nice cedar / gorgeous wood and put that as the base.

I'm still bitter my wife decided to paint all our solid wood trim (with a pink hue) were painted white instead of a clearcoat to make the trim pop.

When / if I get into it and have nothing better to do I'll rip it off, and then strip the paint and leave the wood exposed.

It it's anything like our roof and you have a rich postal code, The posh executive company wanted $23K. I figured they pay the sales rep 1/3, the company gets 1/3 and 1/3 goes to the sub trade.

I found the sub trade and got the roof done for less than seven grand.

Taking a page out of @mimico_polak life.

FML
Washing machine broke today.
Kenmore (made my LG) showing OE error. Problem with draining water.

Two things in my favour.

1. Parts readily available and inexpensive on amazon and already orderd. Will be here when I will be snoozing away in the middle of the night.
2. I have experience with this as I already performed such repair on my neighbors same model washing machine.

They bought theirs not long after we did (just before Sears went belly up). They are a larger family with more wash loads .
It makes sense with the timing of when their failed and when my failed.

Crappy part is that it is stacked with dryer on top and built-in cabinets. Only access to it from on side.

Back
Top Bottom