Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 484 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Ya, it would look like a patchwork type of repair (which is what it would be). I can't afford 15-20k on a driveway re-asphalt right now (assuming that'll be the cost considering the size of my driveway).

I’ve got a similar issue. One technique I saw was to fill the hole, lay plywood over the top and then drive the car back and forward to level it. Rinse and repeat to bring it to the same level as the rest of the driveway.

Would injecting expanding foam work in this case?

It works well for concrete. I don't have nearly has high hopes for asphalt. The thin layer of driveway asphalt is just not very stiff. If you got really unlucky, the foam would turn the depression into a rise and may tear.

I don't think so. Different application. One way I've read is to literally cut the asphalt, bring in new base layer material. Tamp it down, and then put on the cold patch asphalt to level it out.

If I could get it done for 5k or so...I'd even be tempted to bite...but it's not going to cost me 5k.

Ya, it would look like a patchwork type of repair (which is what it would be). I can't afford 15-20k on a driveway re-asphalt right now (assuming that'll be the cost considering the size of my driveway).
Looks like anything you do will be a temporary fix, I'd look for the most cost effective solution and do it on a hot/dry day.
Cold patch might be the easiest and repeatable as the patch will surely come loose over time.

I don't think so. Different application. One way I've read is to literally cut the asphalt, bring in new base layer material. Tamp it down, and then put on the cold patch asphalt to level it out.

If I could get it done for 5k or so...I'd even be tempted to bite...but it's not going to cost me 5k.

This stuff looks good. I think I'll give it a try at some point.

Please let me know if you do, and how it works out! I've got a handful that need attention.

I used a cold patch before for some cracks/gaps near the sidewalk but this stuff looks way better. I don’t know if I can be bothered doing everything that guy does in his video but even if it just fills a few gaps and cracks and doesn’t come loose it’ll be good.

I used a cold patch before for some cracks/gaps near the sidewalk but this stuff looks way better. I don’t know if I can be bothered doing everything that guy does in his video but even if it just fills a few gaps and cracks and doesn’t come loose it’ll be good.
My big issue is the large trees over the driveway...they'll keep shedding stuff as I'm doing the work.

But this is totally within something I can do in a weekend...or two.

Just need to make sure my wife never sees this video.

I used this two years ago to fill some scrapes in the driveway and it works easily and lasts. Two winters now with the snowblower going over it and it hasn't moved. Driveway sealer over it and you'd never know it was there.

Spoke with my wife last night. She said she doesn't see an issue with the driveway that needs to be done right away....

But I'm frustrated with the depressions in the concrete so am looking for something that I can put ATOP the existing asphalt. If I need to cut it out...then so be it, but that means sealing also.

Will probably push it off to next year. I have a feeling for Father's Day I'm getting a new notebook for the 'Honey Do List' as the big project has given me excuses not to do the smaller jobs...that excuse is now running out.

Spoke with my wife last night. She said she doesn't see an issue with the driveway that needs to be done right away....

But I'm frustrated with the depressions in the concrete so am looking for something that I can put ATOP the existing asphalt. If I need to cut it out...then so be it, but that means sealing also.

Will probably push it off to next year. I have a feeling for Father's Day I'm getting a new notebook for the 'Honey Do List' as the big project has given me excuses not to do the smaller jobs...that excuse is now running out.
The stuff @Hardwrkr13 posted looks good. Cheap, designed for your problem and a personal review that it works.

Our driveway is about a third the size of your and cost $2000 plus tax in 2017. I have no idea of where prices have gone since then.

When I patched asphalt I used the sandy type instead of the type that uses a larger aggregate. The larger aggregate will be anywhere but the low spot within a day or two.

I prime the spot with roofing cement mixed with varsol, then tamp the cold patch with a jackhammer.

I specified on my quotes the repair was a PATCH because that's what it looked like . Also I was filing in a deep cut which was easier than a low spot. Anything larger than a small patch doesn't tend to last when cold patch is used.

There are companies that do hot mix patches. They will stand up longer but will still look like a patch. Applying a sealer will fudge it a bit but it's still a patch.

It won’t be too long before the boy dog can’t get up stairs easily. So..arranged a meeting with a blind fitter to come and fit blinds to the front room bay window so I can sleep down there with him when that time comes as he’s a clingy little bugger and would try to get up the stairs most likely if no one was with him. That’s also why I was asking about the ceiling fan as that will be in the same room. The little guy is not too bad right now but in the morning he’s now developed a weird habit that he’ll only go down stairs if I watch him.

The appointment is through Costco for Hunter Douglas blinds. I want motorized ones but we’ll see how much that want will cost.

Let us know. I expect a shocking number.

Why motorized? Hard to access location? Want automation?

5 panel bay window will be awkward to manipulate 5 different blinds plus the nerd in me would probably go nuts trying to make them all even manually. Then the best reason is the blinds are likely going to be white material so sticky/dirty fingers on them (which will happen) will probably not be a good thing.

I can also pretend I’m a Bond villain by having them all go up at the same time in the morning while I survey my kingdom.

Expecting 1k ish perhaps. More would be shocking, less would make me happy.

5 panel bay window will be awkward to manipulate 5 different blinds plus the nerd in me would probably go nuts trying to make them all even manually. Then the best reason is the blinds are likely going to be white material so sticky/dirty fingers on them (which will happen) will probably not be a good thing.

I can also pretend I’m a Bond villain by having them all go up at the same time in the morning while I survey my kingdom.

Expecting 1k ish perhaps. More would be shocking, less would make me happy.
I might be lazy and drop one big panel in the plane of the wall. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper in parts and labour.

Back
Top Bottom