Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 487 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Painted a wall in my daughters room.
White onto white. Same shade of white.
She had these heart shaped gold decals on the same feature wall. Probably a hundred of them in a straight lines horizontally and vertically.
She didn't want the hearts anymore so we needed to add a new fresh coat of paint on it as you could see the outlines from the hearts when removed. One corner was worse then the rest of the wall as that's where the sun hit through the windows.

1719098866728.png

PRO TIP:
Don't argue with the designer (a.k.a wife) when she tells you the 9 year old paint is no longer good. Regardless if the lady at the local Benjamin Moore said it would be fine. (she mixed it up and said it should be good)

I thought that I could use the remaining half gallon of the paint we bought specifically for this wall when we moved in, in 2015.

Stupid me argued. At least she didn't send me back to the store as punishment's. She was nice enough to get the paint while I prepped the wall.

Also glad that my 20% off discount still works at the local BM.

Taking a page out of @mimico_polak life.

FML
Washing machine broke today.
Kenmore (made my LG) showing OE error. Problem with draining water.

Two things in my favour.

1. Parts readily available and inexpensive on amazon and already orderd. Will be here when I will be snoozing away in the middle of the night.
2. I have experience with this as I already performed such repair on my neighbors same model washing machine.

They bought theirs not long after we did (just before Sears went belly up). They are a larger family with more wash loads .
It makes sense with the timing of when their failed and when my failed.

Crappy part is that it is stacked with dryer on top and built-in cabinets. Only access to it from on side.
And just like that the washer is fixed.
My suspicion of bad drain pump was correct.

And just like that the washer is fixed.
My suspicion of bad drain pump was correct.
How did you know it was that issue? Maybe I missed that part (outside of your neighbour having the same issue).

How did you know it was that issue? Maybe I missed that part (outside of your neighbour having the same issue).
OE error on display which means issue with draining water.
I checked the filter which was clean. Not clogged with anything. The rest is just tubing and the motor.

Had I not dealt with this with the neighbours washer (same model) I would have probably been doing more research online and opening up the washer prior to ordering parts.
Our laundry/mud room is small so having a washer taken apart in pieces would not have been ideal.

I'm quite impressed with the overall outcome. Had I been home earlier today, I would have had the whole thing fixed within 24 hours of it going down.

Agreed, good ideas from many people but spending $2k on heating a $300 pool isn’t really a very viable option for me at this stage considering how little the pool gets used.

Looking for lower cost options at this stage as we are not a pool type of family. Not yet anyway.
What's going on with the pool? Here is a cheaper option. Bring a few trailer loads of wood home from the cottage as this won't be efficient but it will be cheap.

448783058_3297248437237874_6011837592452756267_n.jpg

Salt water system for the pool died. It had a pretty good run (more than six years for sure, maybe more than 10). Of course the existing system is obsolete and every other system has their own plumbing configuration. Cut out all the plumbing downstream of the heater and put in new system. Plumbing is done now, I'll do wiring when I get a minute.

Added some bike and ski hooks in the garage to get stuff off the floor. The old ski setup was good for four pairs. The new setup can hold at least 14 and possibly more than 20 depending on weight, tip profile, etc.

Salt water system for the pool died. It had a pretty good run (more than six years for sure, maybe more than 10). Of course the existing system is obsolete and every other system has their own plumbing configuration. Cut out all the plumbing downstream of the heater and put in new system. Plumbing is done now, I'll do wiring when I get a minute.

Added some bike and ski hooks in the garage to get stuff off the floor. The old ski setup was good for four pairs. The new setup can hold at least 14 and possibly more than 20 depending on weight, tip profile, etc.
I just keep putting a new cell in our obsolete jandy unit so far so good we're on cell number 3 in 8 years. Hoping the electronics keep going

Sent from the future

I just keep putting a new cell in our obsolete jandy unit so far so good we're on cell number 3 in 8 years. Hoping the electronics keep going

Sent from the future
Old one was a zodiac. Cell was in rough shape and electronic box stopped listening to buttons. New cell was over 700. PSC had a full system for 950. Choice wasn't too hard.

Well this is interesting. I recall a while back I was casually looking at CoM rules and garden suites were specifically not allowed in our back yard.

Apparently now they are...would be a nice side project for the MIL as I do have space available, and once the kids get older there will be even more space considering the playground and trampoline will disappear...

I see this becoming more and more of a viable option as cost of living keeps growing, and parents / children of our generation will need somewhere to live where they can afford it.

They even have pre-approved plans!

Well this is interesting. I recall a while back I was casually looking at CoM rules and garden suites were specifically not allowed in our back yard.

Apparently now they are...would be a nice side project for the MIL as I do have space available, and once the kids get older there will be even more space considering the playground and trampoline will disappear...

I see this becoming more and more of a viable option as cost of living keeps growing, and parents / children of our generation will need somewhere to live where they can afford it.

Brick veneer? F me. Obviously affordability was not high up the priority list for those plans.

200k for these things...

Not sure which is better....200k for a pre-fab separate building. Or 300-400k for an addition to my house.

It's not quite a fair comparison. The cheaper option gives you a complete dwelling that you can rent out. I'd do two bed, one bath if possible. That makes it viable for a family and shpuld rent over 2k. Most people don't want renters in their house but a separate dwelling mostly solves the issue.

The addition you had planned gives the owners more space to live.

I'm not sure how the options pay out when you sell. There is so little experience with garden suites and most people are at max budget when they buy. Mathematically, the garden suite should allow them to pay about 200k more due to rental income but if they could afford to borrow 200 more, is suspect most would buy a larger house to live in.

Last edited:

MIL?

Blinds update: Bali blinds from Home Depot. Double cell (Hunter Douglas ones were single cell) decent quality. The guy from Home Depot talked us out of motorized ones (even though they would be more) due to having to charge them and the room needed for the motors and the reliability etc. Half the price of the Hunter Douglas quote, came in at $1900 taxes in installed. Signed there and then. 12 months interest free payments. Sorted.

Blinds update: Bali blinds from Home Depot. Double cell (Hunter Douglas ones were single cell) decent quality. The guy from Home Depot talked us out of motorized ones (even though they would be more) due to having to charge them and the room needed for the motors and the reliability etc. Half the price of the Hunter Douglas quote, came in at $1900 taxes in installed. Signed there and then. 12 months interest free payments. Sorted.
I'm interested in blinds for a sliding patio door so expect a split arrangement for the fixed / moving sections. Right now the morning sun (God's searchlight) hits me in the face during morning coffee.

You may be lucky and can replace the igu with one containing integrated blinds. Much cheaper and easier than a full door replacement. Not sure if you can get one that works with the thickness available.
Mine works on a magnet system, built into the frame. Not sure how the replacement glass, with blinds inside would operate?

Back
Top Bottom