ducati issues | GTAMotorcycle.com

ducati issues

bigpoppa

been duc-curious as of late, what are the common issues that should be looked at/considered before purchasing?

I've heard the valves on them are a pita and buyers should insist on dealer records? timing belts need regular replacement, remember reading something about gas tank issues(maybe someone can elaborate)?

Also what would cause something like this? Bike looks clean otherwise

Does the handlebar cluster go back that far?
I am a huge fan of Ducs so here is my biased review. They do need EXTRA love with belts and valves but only at 12000 MILES so maybe every few years you will have to shell out an extra 700.00. The newer ones have an even longer maintenance time, saving you money. The main draw for me is the sound, feel and looks since they are like art and never seem to look old and dated like a lot of other machinery over time. You can hear a Ducati coming before you can see it.
Gas tanks were prone to leaking but I have never had an issue with the 5 I have owned.

Like most Euro bikes, expect considerably more down time and maintenance costs than a Japanese bike. Ducati's are engineered for beauty and performance first, maintainability and dependability engineering doesn't come close to what you'll find in a Japanese bike.

I love everything about someone elses Ducati - style, sound, performance. The reason I don't own one is simple: I ride more than 12000 miles each year, I need the bike to run faithfully for the whole season. I can do my own maintenance and repairs, but the sexiness of a Ducati is not enough to make me want to tear 1/2 the engine apart once a year for regular maintenance and spend all my beer money on motorcycle parts.

Rather than restate what you'll read a thousand places on the net, read this: 7 Common Problems With Ducati Motorcycles – motorandwheels.com

It's relatively rare to see a duc with high mileage. There's likely a reason for that.

As for the dent in the tank - like everything else, if you own it long enough it's bound to get a few dings and scuffs.

This is my first Ducati Diavel 2012. Carbon Red. 98000Kms. Loved every minute of it.
Took it back for a few recalls. Nothing serious. Depending on your attitude. Lol.
I see your Avatar is Triumph. First bike I ever owned was a Triumph 500 5T 1953. Not new.

Brake and clutch fluid, changed. Side kickstand collapsed. Coolant changed. Internal clutch springs, not the plates. 2 thing a me bobs. All done by Peninsula Ducati in Oakville. The only overnight stop was for the kickstand. The kickstand discussion between Ducati North and Peninsula. With Peninsula always on my side. Win, win for me. .John and Craig always gave me the best care and service.

Other than a few small problems, a frayed cable underneath the handlebars. Quickly noticed by Craig and charged a very decent price. No gouging.
Regular tyre change, every year. Tyres take a licking and keep on ticking.
Motorbikes are a hobby, not cheap but very rewarding.

Tbh when I first sat on the Diavel, I hated it. Great big fat tank in front of me. Used to sports bikes.
Went home did my research on how it was built etc.
Had to have one. Did my first 5000 kms and boy oh boy what is not to like. For me, handles great, fast.
First thing I had to change was the exhaust and immediately lost the ugliness and gained a great sound.
Not sure about other Ducati's. Guess more on the Diavel.
Not sure if this helps any.

Dent on the tank is from the switches on the handlebar. You can adjust (at least on my 09 Monster) the steering stops but I would think the bolt fell out and the owner smashed the tank with the bar.

I personally haven't been due for valves yet but I have done the belts. Really easy job. Probably took longer to get the tank and crap off to remove the belt covers then actually changing them. Haven't decided if I'm going to do the valves myself or not. Doesn't look too bad. Got 6000km to decide.

Certain year range of tanks were expanding due to ethanol in the fuel. I've seen a lot of posts on FB and other forums of people claiming to leave the tank dry and with the cap open for an extended period of time and it shrinks back to size. I think most would of been replaced under warranty anyways.

Love my 09 Monster so far. Perfect balance of weight and power for the street. Sounds cool too. It can be a little finicky to start cold sometimes. Dry clutch looks and sounds cool. Wet clutch probably works better. Part of what I like about these bikes is similar to Harley it is very common to modify them and I'm into that kind of thing. It isn't nearly as refined as a japanese or german bike which is part of fun, that might not be fun to some folks though.

Would buy another for sure. I'm actually trying to talk my gf into selling her R3 for one.

Another thing to mention is I only have 1 key and it's not the key you can use to program another one. That's a little stressful.

Major service (belts, desmo valve adjust) will run $1200-1400.
Some models are pita's - can't get the rear rocker cover off or spark plugs out without partially dropping the motor.
Italian electrics - better than Lucas but that's not saying much.
I wouldn't own one at gunpoint, but to each their own.

32,000km on my 16 Multistrada 1200S with no issues whatsoever. Recently had the first big service 30,000km for valve check/belts/filter and it was $1100 tax in also included new brake fluid front/rear and hydro clutch as well. Not bad at all imo.
Love this bike and would highly recommend any other modern Duc as I know many others with similar results.
Recommend you listen to the actual owners and not the "I read on the internet" guys.

Italian electrics - better than Lucas but that's not saying much.

Errr NOT
Magneti marelli started out as a Lucas knock off.
I'll take Lucas ALL DAY LONG compared to magneti marelli. I worked in auto-electrical for many years; there is NOTHING wrong with Lucas electrics. The problem was/is the people working on it didn't understand Lucas methodology. It's different.

I've had at least one Ducati since 1980 or so. Currently I have 4.
I have a GT750 with about 60,000 MILES on it
I have 900SS with about 50,000 kms (I did have to replace the voltage regulator and the oil pressure sending unit on this 27 year old bike that gets beat up at track days regularly).
I put gas in them and change the oil regularly and they go. No drama, no huge repair bills
My only real complaint is the brakes. I HATE BREMBO, and I HATE DUCATI BREMBO THE MOST. (They work, I just HATE Brembo).

Full disclousure: I will not touch anything made by Ducati after 1996. Ducati lost their way in 1997. The '96 was the last of the Taglioni bikes and anything since has been more hype than horsepower.
The RC51 is proof that Honda can build a better Ducati than Ducati can.

And if you think you want an OLD Ducati, you're probably wrong. You REALLY want a Laverda. All the cool kids have Laverdas. A Laverda REALLY is as good as everyone THINKS a Ducati is.

If you want modern: look at Guzzi's. You can't go wrong with a big block Guzzi.

This is my first Ducati Diavel 2012. Carbon Red. 98000Kms. Loved every minute of it.
Took it back for a few recalls. Nothing serious. Depending on your attitude. Lol.
I see your Avatar is Triumph. First bike I ever owned was a Triumph 500 5T 1953. Not new.

Brake and clutch fluid, changed. Side kickstand collapsed. Coolant changed. Internal clutch springs, not the plates. 2 thing a me bobs. All done by Peninsula Ducati in Oakville. The only overnight stop was for the kickstand. The kickstand discussion between Ducati North and Peninsula. With Peninsula always on my side. Win, win for me. .John and Craig always gave me the best care and service.

Other than a few small problems, a frayed cable underneath the handlebars. Quickly noticed by Craig and charged a very decent price. No gouging.
Regular tyre change, every year. Tyres take a licking and keep on ticking.
Motorbikes are a hobby, not cheap but very rewarding.

Tbh when I first sat on the Diavel, I hated it. Great big fat tank in front of me. Used to sports bikes.
Went home did my research on how it was built etc.
Had to have one. Did my first 5000 kms and boy oh boy what is not to like. For me, handles great, fast.
First thing I had to change was the exhaust and immediately lost the ugliness and gained a great sound.
Not sure about other Ducati's. Guess more on the Diavel.
Not sure if this helps any.
Maybe some feedback on belt change and valve service costs? Did you have any electrical issues?

Wonder why people insist on getting the Ducati valve service done at the dealership, are they more complex? Do potential new owners always expect them to be done at the dealers? Why the fuss about Ducati valve service but never about Honda valves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

been duc-curious as of late, what are the common issues that should be looked at/considered before purchasing?

I don't think there are any brand specific issues, each model and year will have their issues, rocker arm flaking issues in older Superbikes, plastic Monster tanks were deforming, etc.

Overall, they are becoming more reliable. Around the late 90s, the company moved to a Japanese-style of manufacturing, which led to greater efficiency, but also better reliability and build-quality. You can see this by the ever-increasing service intervals since then.

However, IMO, there were certain things that made a Ducati a Ducati. Like Porsche with their rear-mounted normally-aspirated flat-six engine, Ducati did things differently than most manufacturers. I believe that's why they were popular with enthusiasts who were looking for something out of the ordinary.

- Desmodromic valves instead of valve springs
- Trellis frame instead of twin-spar
- 90 degree L-twin engine with one cylinders oriented horizontally
- Dry clutch instead of wet
- Single-sided swingarm

Over the last few years, Ducati has slowly moved away from things that made their bikes unique. There's a common joke about the dry-clutch loose-change-in-a-can rattle where the Ducati owner has to constantly tell everyone: "It's supposed to sound like that". You won't get to make that joke anymore. They're all wet clutches today.

On older Ducatis, the steel-tubed trellis frame was always exposed to show them off. Now, the newer Ducs have a "frameless" design using an aluminum monocoque. And it's all hidden under plastic.

The L-twin engine has now been replaced with a V4, mounted at a 42 degree angle instead of 90 degrees. So, not a twin, and not an L-shape anymore.

On their superbikes, they moved from undertail pipes to a side-mounted exhaust.

At least they still have their Desmodromic valvetrain.

But there's a reason why the rest of the motorcycling manufacturers went a different way, whether it's for cost-efficiency, performance or emissions regulations. Ducati is slowly falling in step with everyone else, but in the process, it is losing all the little things that made them special.

Even Porsche had to compromise on their design philosophy. Air-cooling gave way to water-cooled engines. The normally-aspirated flat-six is now turbo-charged (except for some rare racing models like the GT3). There is talk of a hybrid engines and eventually doing away with the flat-six and going with an electric engine for the future.

If you want to own a Ducati because of the name, a new one will do. They are still beautiful-looking machines and you do get top-level performance.

But Ducati has had such a rich history of marching to a different tune. The new ones - they kinda sound like every other song you hear on the radio these days...

Last edited:
Wonder why people insist on getting the Ducati valve service done at the dealership, are they more complex? Do potential new owners always expect them to be done at the dealers? Why the fuss about Ducati valve service but never about Honda valves?

Because Ducati valves are desmodomic...they have an opener and a closer shim, both need to be adjusted. In theory there is no valve spring, but there is a small clothespin style spring to take up some lash. The "bucket" is also the shim (both opener and closer) where some other brands may have a shim under the bucket, so you need a selection of buckets...not just shims. It is not rocket science but you need to know what you are doing. As an example on some Ducatis (maybe all) you could drop a valve into the motor when doing a closer if you are not careful. I do my own, but as I said you need to know what you are doing.

As for the bike in the pic. My guess is it has been dropped hard enough to bend the bar into the tank, switch controls made the dent. Someone may have fixed the bars etc. (parts swap) but did not have the skills to repair and repaint the tank. I have experience with this, low sided dented tank, bent bars, some easily replaced signal lights and very very minor scuff on the muffler.... (although I fixed and painted the dent as well as replaced the bars...). IMO that dent is too big to be just a stop adjustment issue. Another tell tail sign it was down, turn the bars to lock, if it was down hard the dent is usually not entirely lined up with the current location of the switch gear as the bar bent before hitting the tank (it will be slightly higher or lower) and/or the bars are now different (replaced).

Last edited:
Recommend you listen to the actual owners and not the "I read on the internet" guys.
I do listen to actual owners - your experiences and opinions (of course) may differ.
BTW, Ducati North America's warranty policies suck - don't ever break one just outside of coverage.

Ducati bikes are beautiful machines, works of art really. Only you can decide if their complexity and the relatively high cost of maintenance is offset by the feeling you get looking at it and riding it.

The new bikes are a lot more reliable. Service intervals are similar to the mainstream Japanese manufacturers. Had my bike Ducati Supersport 939 for two years now. Just do the simple oil changes once a year. The desmo service interval is now every 30,000 kms. So a lot more reasonable. I think they have become a lot more reliable over the recent years once VW/Audi group took ownership. If you like the bikes. , I don't think you can go wrong with them.

I do listen to actual owners - your experiences and opinions (of course) may differ.
BTW, Ducati North America's warranty policies suck - don't ever break one just outside of coverage.
Not sure about that. My bike came with a full 2 year warranty. My previous Japanese bike came with only one year.,

Mostly because of Ducati sales hype.
It is a LOT easier to adjust the valve lash on a Desmo Duc than do the valve lash on a shim on bucket. A LOT EASIER.
... and the $1200 valve service actually does a lot more than a valve service.

Part of the problem is Ducati wants $19.75 for one valve shim... and no body ever has the size you need. When I lived in Mississauga I had to drive to Port Perry to get shims (anyone else remember Steve? Didn't he go on to the job of warranty manager for Ducati NA?), because TO Ducati insisted they didn't stock shims. Last year I had to drive from Peterborough to Peninsula in Burlington to get a shim... which was nice as I hadn't talked to John in years, and when we were talking he told me that he doesn't sell a lot of shims as parts, actually I was the last person he sold loose shims to, 12 years earlier, and he gave them to me at a good price. John's a nice guy.

Another thing is that people that buy Ducati WANT to pay more than a Honda owner. It adds to the BS hype. The thought process is: It costs more to ride a Ducati so it MUST be better than a Honda. It isn't.

Ducati made it's name building bikes that were insanely easy to ride (Honda has never been able to make that claim) that were comparatively under powered which gave the rider the confidence to go into a corner with the throttle WFO.
Starting in 1997 they decided they were going to build FAST bikes. It's not working out so well.

Back
Top Bottom