ducati issues | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ducati issues

Hm when did they start making bikes with longer service intervals? When was the split from older style Ducati to modern stuff? Anyone know what years they went water cooled with wet clutches? (Im more curious about the monsters and perhaps their multistradas)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know much about the Monsters and Multistradas, just the SBKs.

IIRC, the 999 had 10K service intervals for valves, then the 1098 went to 12K. So around 2006/2007. Monster now has 15K service intervals, I think around 2013.

The first SBK that had a wet clutch was the 848 around 2008. Last dry clutch was the 1199, by around 2012.

Someone with better research skills can confirm.

been duc-curious as of late, what are the common issues that should be looked at/considered before purchasing?

I've heard the valves on them are a pita and buyers should insist on dealer records? timing belts need regular replacement, remember reading something about gas tank issues(maybe someone can elaborate)?

Also what would cause something like this? Bike looks clean otherwise

Anything italian is exotic and expensive, I would stay away from Ducati bikes. If you think Japanese bikes are too common and want something different buy a Triumph or any of those anglo-american bikes. Buying a Ducati is like marrying a beautiful stripper, she's going to be high-maintenance.

Anything italian is exotic and expensive, I would stay away from Ducati bikes. If you think Japanese bikes are too common and want something different buy a Triumph or any of those anglo-american bikes. Buying a Ducati is like marrying a beautiful stripper, she's going to be high-maintenance.
So how many Ducati's have you owned to gain this wealth of experience? Oh...wait,you read it on the internet.It must be true.Pfft!

And how many high maintenance strippers do you know?

Last edited:
Mostly because of Ducati sales hype.
It is a LOT easier to adjust the valve lash on a Desmo Duc than do the valve lash on a shim on bucket. A LOT EASIER.
... and the $1200 valve service actually does a lot more than a valve service.

Part of the problem is Ducati wants $19.75 for one valve shim... and no body ever has the size you need. When I lived in Mississauga I had to drive to Port Perry to get shims (anyone else remember Steve? Didn't he go on to the job of warranty manager for Ducati NA?), because TO Ducati insisted they didn't stock shims. Last year I had to drive from Peterborough to Peninsula in Burlington to get a shim... which was nice as I hadn't talked to John in years, and when we were talking he told me that he doesn't sell a lot of shims as parts, actually I was the last person he sold loose shims to, 12 years earlier, and he gave them to me at a good price. John's a nice guy.

Another thing is that people that buy Ducati WANT to pay more than a Honda owner. It adds to the BS hype. The thought process is: It costs more to ride a Ducati so it MUST be better than a Honda. It isn't.

Ducati made it's name building bikes that were insanely easy to ride (Honda has never been able to make that claim) that were comparatively under powered which gave the rider the confidence to go into a corner with the throttle WFO.
Starting in 1997 they decided they were going to build FAST bikes. It's not working out so well.
I think Steve changed hats a couple of times after he closed TV.Bought my first Duc from him.He had a 02 Dark 900.I pulled out my visa card and said if it was red,i would buy it.He pointed to a pile of red bodywork and tank in the mezzanine and said ok.
cqgGHBW.jpg

Hm when did they start making bikes with longer service intervals? When was the split from older style Ducati to modern stuff? Anyone know what years they went water cooled with wet clutches? (Im more curious about the monsters and perhaps their multistradas)

Can’t tell you the year off hand BUT for the more modern bikes you would be looking at Monster 797,821 and 1200. Multistrada 1200 and 950. Those are all water cooled wet clutch bikes with longer intervals.

Alright checked the years quick.
Monster changed in 2014 with the 1200. The 821 and 797 followed a year after.
Multi changed from the older air cooled bike to the newer gen in 2010. I believe 2016 is updated as well.

Maybe some feedback on belt change and valve service costs? Did you have any electrical issues?

Not to jinx myself.
The only electrical problem was I had a frayed wire between the tank and the steering arm. $98.00 Cheap at the price as opposed to a complete wiring loom.
The valve job and belt change was $1200. Plus I had an oil change.

I do listen to actual owners - your experiences and opinions (of course) may differ.
BTW, Ducati North America's warranty policies suck - don't ever break one just outside of coverage.

Never had a problem with Ducati North. I think it was because Peninsula Ducati had my back. That included outside the warranty..

Last edited:
Reactions: TK4
Wonder why people insist on getting the Ducati valve service done at the dealership, are they more complex? Do potential new owners always expect them to be done at the dealers? Why the fuss about Ducati valve service but never about Honda valves?

Ducati's use a very different type of valve actuation than most engines. It was purposeful a few decades back as it overcame valve float issues, enabling engines to rev higher. Over time, metallurgy advancements conquered the float issue and motorcycle manufacturers got springs working dependably over 20kRPM.

Much like the Harley Vtwin, Desmodromic (Desmo) valves are a heritage necessity, not really a technical advantage for Ducati's.

Desmo systems use a cam and rocker to return the valve instead of a spring. Desmo systems have extra frictional wear on cams and rockers, as well as the belts that drive them.

With respect to dealer service, it's not so much that it's difficult (it can be), for me it's familiarity. I've seen it done several times, I watched a Duc race mechanic do a couple end-to-end services (7 hours on a Monster, 9 on a Diavel), they spotted things that needed attention but were not in the service procedures (I recall him noticing distorted keepers, worn chrome that necessitated rocker arm replacement ($150 per). Had he just re checked the valves a catastrophic failure was likely before the next valve service - I would never know that if I had been doing service on my own bike.

...................Buying a Ducati is like marrying a beautiful stripper, she's going to be high-maintenance...............

Please, you're just killing us with these observations, are you speaking from personal experience?

Guessing triumphs (modern street/speed triples) have regular valves and non of the extra maintenance needs of a Ducati?

The Duc or the Stripper?

I don't have a Duc or a stripper.............. Let Pegassus explain this, I just don't know.........

When I was looking for a modern version of the V65 Magna, I tried everything. The "only" bike that did all the things of the Honda, was the Ducati Diavel. You sit in the bike not on top, it was light 473 dry. Lots of power. Most cruisers were too heavy and lacked power, adventure bikes were too tall. If you guys can think of a bike for me like that, that's not a Ducati, I will definitely go have a look at it. I haven't really had any real problems with Ducati, but I would love to find something like that in a Honda.

When I was looking for a modern version of the V65 Magna, I tried everything. The "only" bike that did all the things of the Honda, was the Ducati Diavel. You sit in the bike not on top, it was light 473 dry. Lots of power. Most cruisers were too heavy and lacked power, adventure bikes were too tall. If you guys can think of a bike for me like that, that's not a Ducati, I will definitely go have a look at it. I haven't really had any real problems with Ducati, but I would love to find something like that in a Honda.
Did you look at the big dog in the power cruiser category, the VMAX?

been duc-curious as of late, what are the common issues that should be looked at/considered before purchasing?
Its an Italian designed and largely built race bike :| are you an Italian race bike enthusiast, if yes you will love it,
if no then you will find things to complain about. Probably something small like how little they seemed to care when they wired the horn.

Yep, if you don't know your way around a motorcycle really well,
and you don't ride your motorcycles spirited enough to even know consumer performance from superlative performing and handling motorcycles, you probably should stick with something other then a Ducati, MV Adusta or Aprilia.

:unsure: how did you come up with "anglo-american" to describe a British company building motorcycles in Taiwan?

Back
Top Bottom