ducati issues | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ducati issues

I wonder how many VW diesel engines have had their camshafts and lifters destroyed by someone pumping in the same generic 5w30 that they put in every car that goes through. I put 430,000 km on mine and sold it with the original camshafts and lifters because I used the synthetic 5w40 meeting VW specifications that you are supposed to use.

Read ... the ... freaking ... manual ...

What, no Rotella ?

I
Wandering back to bikes ...

There is a difference between the "sensible" choice, and the one that actually turns your crank, sparks your interest, etc.

Someone asks "what car should I buy" - buy a Corolla. Is it a good car? Yes, but I'd never buy one. Yawn.

Someone asks "what bike should I buy" - buy a Honda VFR. Is it a good bike? Yes, but I'd never buy one of those, either, and for the same reason ... Yawn!

Is the Ducati an objectively "better" bike than the Honda? Depends what you are asking about. Let's say the answer is "no". Should that make you buy the dull but stone-axe reliable Honda instead of the interesting and character-filled but slightly temperamental Ducati? Only you can answer that. I don't buy a motorcycle in order to be bored with it.

Thus far, all three times where I've been on a rental bike overseas, it has been one of the BMW F800 series. Great rental bike, but I would never buy one!
To me its simply priorities. I ride from April till the snow covers the road, my bike needs to be rock solid dependable and while I can fix them and do fix up older bikes as a winter hobby, I really don't enjoy temperamental, or spending time repairing and maintaining my primary rides.

Euro bikes do generally win on style however that's the least important factor for me when I make a bike buy.

In no particular order, I think decisions on bikes are based on style, purpose, performance, dependability, TCO. I'll give Euro bikes style, for the other factors the Japanese competitor is almost always better.

Good point on rental bikes. When I rent I usually choose a Ducati or BMW and have never been let down. But I only have them for a couple of days and maintenance is not my responsibility.

The most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned is my 2007 Acura MDX - constant electrical problems causing no-start (and not just from a dead battery). Then at only 170,000 kms, the motor had to be replaced (burning oil in 2 cylinders, one of which had zero compression).

Compared to my "unreliable" bikes:

2002 Ducati 998:
25,000 kms - TPS sensor failed
29,000 kms - timing belts shredded and valves bent (improperly installed by inexperienced dealership tech)
45,000 kms - plastic fuel line quick release started leaking from threads
60,000 kms - cracked plastic coolant expansion tank (might have been pressure cap failing to vent)
65,000 kms - starter sprag clutch failed (my fault for using undersized lithium batteries in near freezing weather)

2015 Ducati Hyperstrada:
20,000 kms - erratic throttle response and limp mode (turned out to be loose battery terminals, but because I was paranoid about the supposed throttle, O2 sensor, ECU, etc. issues I "read about on the internet", I never though to check anything simple).

2007 Aprilia SXV:
None so far at 14,000 km's and counting - no sealant issues, starting problems, or grenading. Just did 500 km's on it a few days ago to Southwood and Big Chute.

The most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned is my 2007 Acura MDX - constant electrical problems causing no-start (and not just from a dead battery). Then at only 170,000 kms, the motor had to be replaced (burning oil in 2 cylinders, one of which had zero compression).

2002 Ducati 998:
29,000 kms - timing belts shredded and valves bent (improperly installed by inexperienced dealership tech)
60,000 kms - cracked plastic coolant expansion tank (might have been pressure cap failing to vent)
65,000 kms - starter sprag clutch failed (my fault for using undersized lithium batteries in near freezing weather)

2015 Ducati Hyperstrada:
20,000 kms - erratic throttle response and limp mode (turned out to be loose battery terminals, but because I was paranoid about the supposed throttle, O2 sensor, ECU, etc. issues I "read about on the internet", I never though to check anything simple).

2007 Aprilia SXV:
None so far at 14,000 km's and counting - no sealant issues, starting problems, or grenading. Just did 500 km's on it a few days ago to Southwood and Big Chute.
My unreliable bikes:

06 FJR 70K, oil, filters, brake pads and tires.
16 DL650 50K, oil, filters, brake pads, chain and tires.

2002 Ducati 998:

2015 Ducati Hyperstrada:

2007 Aprilia SXV:

SXV550 or 450? Was the motor rebuilt? Theres no denying those were seriously flawed from the factory. Once rebuilt though, seen them last a while.

SXV550 or 450? Was the motor rebuilt? Theres no denying those were seriously flawed from the factory. Once rebuilt though, seen them last a while.

It’s a 450, but I also have a 550 set up for road racing using the Ian Newton RRV kit as well as an RXV 450 for dirt. The two 450’s are original orange sealant bikes. I budgeted for a rebuild on the SXV 450 and figured I’d wait until I started seeing coolant mixing with the oil, but it just never happened. The RXV was a basket case that supposedly ran fine when it was traded in. The dealership tech killed the battery and starter trying to start it improperly after it sat over the winter and started taking it apart to figure out what was wrong (without luck). After I got it, I just threw It back together and adjusted the throttle cables for the cold start to work properly and reset the throttle position range - it started on my first try. After that, I brought it in to Corsa Meccanica for some outstanding updates, which they did at no charge even thought the bike was 11 years old at the time. The 550 was rebuilt by Noland before I bought it.

It’s a 450, but I also have a 550 set up for road racing using the Ian Newton RRV kit as well as an RXV 450 for dirt. The two 450’s are original orange sealant bikes. I budgeted for a rebuild on the SXV 450 and figured I’d wait until I started seeing coolant mixing with the oil, but it just never happened. The RXV was a basket case that supposedly ran fine when it was traded in. The dealership tech killed the battery and starter trying to start it improperly after it sat over the winter and started taking it apart to figure out what was wrong (without luck). After I got it, I just threw It back together and adjusted the throttle cables for the cold start to work properly and reset the throttle position range - it started on my first try. After that, I brought it in to Corsa Meccanica for some outstanding updates, which they did at no charge even thought the bike was 11 years old at the time. The 550 was rebuilt by Noland before I bought it.

Sweet. I'd like to own a noland rebuilt 550 someday. Kind of the pinnacle of street supermoto.

My unreliable bikes:

06 FJR 70K, oil, filters, brake pads and tires.
16 DL650 50K, oil, filters, brake pads, chain and tires.
I should also add other roadworthies.
75 GL1000 55K, Oil, filters, tires, brake pads, battery.
69 Triumph TR25 16k miles, cylinder, piston, valves, wheel bearings, speedo drive, clutch, piston/rings, wheel bearings, chain & sprockets, everything electrical, gas tank, everything rubber, clutch, tach, speedo, every gasket and seal.

Reactions: TK4

Back
Top Bottom