Did you exercise today? | Page 28 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Did you exercise today?

Do those small bike trainers work well in the off season? I just assume any avid cyclist has one...

Yes they do work but it can be very monotonous. You should also use a special trainer tire as road tires tend to disintegrate on them. Put something under it as sweat tends to be an issue. Protect the bike frame etc. if you sweat a lot. Have a fan blowing on you.

I first used a second set of old rims with the special tire on the rear, rims that the breaking surface was too worn for continued road use. Then I bought another (used) bike to dedicate to the trainer. Then I did not ride the trainer at all this last winter...

Back to sets again. Dropped my squat to 154lbs (3 x 12) and my DL to 94lbs (3 x 12) and no pain. Must be an issue with higher weights...my form goes to poo. Will keep at it.

Also had an ice cream sandwich. Thankfully due to shirnkflation it was tiny.

It was a sacrifice I had to make ... 3 kids ... 1 ice cream sandwich ... sacrifices were made in the name of peace.

Back to sets again. Dropped my squat to 154lbs (3 x 12) and my DL to 94lbs (3 x 12) and no pain. Must be an issue with higher weights...my form goes to poo. Will keep at it.
Quality over Quantity always!

yeah ... i wouldve already but i already own 3 bikes. I don't think i can get that one approved (although in 3 months of bike commuting in winter, id recoup the price of transit...and it would help me keep the weight under control in the cold season). But alsoooo i'd most likely go for a gravel bike type of deal, im used to the position and GTA streets are dry MOST of the winter.
It also will keep me away from trying to ride MTB, hence getting deeper into another hobby
1 - Full Sus MTB
2 - Rigid Fat Bike
3 - Gravel Bike

Problem solved :)

Do those small bike trainers work well in the off season? I just assume any avid cyclist has one...

They do work but a proper stationary bike is better suited if your goal is to stay fit or general exercise. Rollers or a trainer are good if your goal is to get comfortable on a specific bike for a event or such.
I would rather put the wear and tear on a spin bike myself.
FWIW this would be the season to get a good deal on a stationary bike.

1 - Full Sus MTB
2 - Rigid Fat Bike
3 - Gravel Bike

Problem solved :)
I'll meet you from the other end of the spectrum
1- Time trial/tri bike
2- Race geometry roadbike
3- Gravel bike

I regret buying the race geometry roadbike. Fun but painful and I have a lot less legs than I once did. I should have bought the old man variant (Roubaix or equivalent).
The race one ive gotten used to ... its comfortable, feels like home.

The tt bike is CRAZY comfortable on long rides and gives me a false impression of fitness when its my extra aero position (compared to regular bike) that gives me all that extra speed.

The soon to be gravel bike...if i can find a single speed version of it for cheap, will be my mellow enjoyable ride. (you could probably get good money for your race bike)

Hypothetically speaking...how hard would it be to take a ride from Mississauga to Niagara Falls for someone that's not in the best shape...

Hypothetically speaking...how hard would it be to take a ride from Mississauga to Niagara Falls for someone that's not in the best shape...
no idea but imo do half the distance regularly and build yourself up first

It's not "hard" but it is a long day. I rode from High park to NF one day and back the next day. It wasn't all that enjoyable (especially when a navigation hiccup involved descending and then climbing the escarpment) but I can say I did it. Some people do out and back as one ride but that's too long for me (you leave in the dark and get back in the dark).

As BP said, some pre-emptive training is helpful. Also do some reading on fueling. Don't wait until you are hungry or you will lose your legs. Eat something every xx minutes (use a timer). Just keep pedaling and you'll get there.

I recommend for the first pass and not in prime shape to go Niagara Falls to Mississauga, here is why...

-This way you go down the escarpment at he beginning of the ride not up it at the end.
-You have transit bail out points once you hit Hamilton. If you are totally bonked you can jump on a GO train etc.
-You do not need to make it to the end point on any schedule (like to catch a train home, hotel etc.) if you are slower than expected as the end point is home.

I believe you can catch the GO to NF.

I recommend for the first pass and not in prime shape to go Niagara Falls to Mississauga, here is why...

-This way you go down the escarpment at he beginning of the ride not up it at the end.
-You have transit bail out points once you hit Hamilton. If you are totally bonked you can jump on a GO train etc.
-You do not need to make it to the end point on any schedule (like to catch a train home, hotel etc.) if you are slower than expected as the end point is home.

I believe you can catch the GO to NF.
Good call! Plus my emergency ride home (wife) will be closer and closer as time progresses instead of the opposite.

I've done it 2... (or 3)years in a row.
If you can, find someone who can ride your pace to go with you.

You'll def want to be able to ride 80% of that distance "easily" if you don't want the whole distance to be horrid. So increase your mileage slowly but surely, figure out your nutrition and hydration.

Timing wise, there is a GO train that has a bike coach which is very handy..but you gotta make sure it runs properly that weekend, when i planned mine this year i had to choose a different route because the go train wasnt running and the go bus wouldn't accomodate 3-5 bicycles im pretty sure. We've done it as a 515 start from port credit and ride to get there around 11-ish, it does 2 things, gets you home sooner and keeps you out of the potential afternoon heat..oh and there's less traffic early in the morning as well.
(between 120 to 130km depending on the ...)

Routewise.. there is a more direct and less scenic route and then a 10km longer route that is a bit more scenic. In both situations you'll have to climb the escarpment at some point
I'm not convinced I know how to read, I've just memorized a lot of words. 🌙 ☀️ - Lou P's 128.8 km bike ride
more scenic

🌙 ♥️ RIDE FOR HEART 2022 ♥️ - Lou P's 120.0 km bike ride
less scenic

The guys i rode with, some of which have done ride to conquer cancer a few times and know most of the routes, preferred by far the scenic route.

Did some solid hyperextensions and core work today

I added 20% more weight to my military walk today and did the same distance. I think I’m at the limits of what my pack will hold so to save my knees I’ll add distance instead of weight from here most likely.

Back
Top Bottom