Boat Rentals | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boat Rentals

@Priller , what are you racing on in Toronto? I’d rather fix some gell coat than have somebody standing on the bow all the way up wind . Unless you actually hit a deadhead and hole the boat. Having a log sticking out of the bow would be very slow .
Stars are cheap until you want a new one , Hamilton fleet beater boats $2500 . New Star $140k us . Same with Etchells , 25k for a race ready boat used, new boat 180k US ( no sails ) . At least sharks have stayed sensible, 15k for a boat that could win a world championship, 8k for the boat that would be 2nd . 6k buys an entire inventory of sails , should have kept my shark …..

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

See my post in jokes! We must be seeing the same FB pages!

I don't always get notifications about all the threads that I am subscribed to.

@Priller , what are you racing on in Toronto? I’d rather fix some gell coat than have somebody standing on the bow all the way up wind . Unless you actually hit a deadhead and hole the boat. Having a log sticking out of the bow would be very slow .
Stars are cheap until you want a new one , Hamilton fleet beater boats $2500 . New Star $140k us . Same with Etchells , 25k for a race ready boat used, new boat 180k US ( no sails ) . At least sharks have stayed sensible, 15k for a boat that could win a world championship, 8k for the boat that would be 2nd . 6k buys an entire inventory of sails , should have kept my shark …..
Whoops, somehow missed this! I'm crewing on my dad's Viking 34, mostly grinding the genny and swearing at him when he throws a surprise tack our way. He sails out of QCYC, and has done since he was a kid, as my grandfather was also a member there (sailing a 6 Meter). He's a dinghy sailor at heart, mostly International 14's until he aged out of them into a Shark. He raced that around Ontario for a number of years until he aged into the Viking. He won't sail anything without a tiller, so the Viking is likely the last stop.

New anything is expensive, but not necessarily better! When I was hunting for a Limestone, the new ones were between $120k and $180k, but I'd have a lot more faith in the Ontario-built Hinterhoeller and Medeiros hulls than ones built to a budget in Tennessee (plus, they look hideous with an outboard tacked on to the transom)...

I've seen a transPac 52 with a tiller , if you have arms like Popeye . Viking 34 is a lovely boat , Its great that you go sail with dad. My Dad was a powerboat guy, love the hydroplane races and the Labbatt cup stuff . He liked sailboats ok, but could not get his head around the costs of keeping one competitive . He also didnt drink so sailing ......

I've seen a transPac 52 with a tiller , if you have arms like Popeye .
Ha! Sailing one of them around Lake Ontario would be like driving a Formula 1 car in a mall parking lot, I suspect. It's also hard enough to round up a crew of five every week on the Viking, can't imagine trying to staff one of those...
Viking 34 is a lovely boat , Its great that you go sail with dad. My Dad was a powerboat guy, love the hydroplane races and the Labbatt cup stuff . He liked sailboats ok, but could not get his head around the costs of keeping one competitive . He also didnt drink so sailing ......
It is a very pretty boat, which is definitely his priority. He could easily afford something much larger and newer, but his preferences are simple and old-school. Also had to be built in Ontario, as his brother worked in that industry out of Niagara for many years.

As for sailing with Dad, it's a long a complex relationship. When I was younger, he really wanted me to race with him, but he could also be a bit of a Captain Bligh when racing, lots of red-faced yelling and swearing and literal stamping of feet (he was known for this around the club, it wasn't exclusive to me, to be fair). For teenage me, that was a bit of a fun-killer, so at a certain point I basically told him to get bent and didn't race with him for years and years.

A big part of us moving back to Ontario from BC a few years ago was for me to spend more time with my parents, now well into their seventies. So I decided to let bygones be bygones and accepted his offer to do the weekly club races. Turns out, he's mellowed massively, and now I'm the one who has to bite his tongue when I catch myself barking orders because the grinder on the starboard side screwed up a tack or the foredeck crew is a bit slow about getting the pole on. We all have those moments when we hear ourselves sounding like our parents (especially when dealing with our own kids), but to discover I have a bit of the Captain Bligh myself was a bit of a shock and something I've had to consciously swallow occasionally.

As for drinking and sailing, one story my dad likes to tell of sailing with his dad is how they'd head out to do a lap of the islands with four on board, my dad and his brother (far too young to drink), and my grandfather and one of his buddies. They'd have a full two-four in the cockpit on departure, would return empty, and you could trace their route by connecting the dots between the bobbing stubbies they tossed in their wake. Different times, for sure...

So I guess this may be a silly question…but if someone was interested in helping out on a boat around the Lake…what’s the best way to get involved in that?

Assuming one has zero knowledge…

So I guess this may be a silly question…but if someone was interested in helping out on a boat around the Lake…what’s the best way to get involved in that?

Assuming one has zero knowledge…
Don’t know what it’s like these days, but back when I was on the lake, catching a crew job was easy - but expect to work. The less you know, the ******** the work. On a charter fishing boat you’ll clean, serve guests beer and food, and maybe clean fish. On a sailboat you’ll polish, clean and handle orders barked at you.

@crankcall can probably hook you up - I think he’s a commodore (Grand Poobah) at a west end club.

If I were you, I’d sign up for a dinghy learn to sail program, many clubs have them. $500 gets you lessons and a lot of sailing time. You’ll finish with enough experience to crew on cruises.

I'm not sure I would ever go near a fishing charter operation as new crew, watching guys drink and puke all afternoon is not my idea of a good time , and most suck at much else .
Dingy saling would let you know if you liked sailing as a sport, sailing a big boat is less sport , more lifestyle. You'll probaly pay more than $500 for a course these days , but the sailing skill is transferable . You wont have enough experience to crew anything else as a cruiser. That whole anchoring , docking ,learning nav bouys, boat systems is a different course.
The fastest way to learn to sail a big boat is free, you need zero experience and people are always looking . Check local yacht clubs web pages for the "crew bank" , its race fleet boats looking for crew, they train you , help you get up to speed, and its free. You can help out to whatever level you want . The caviat , sometimes a boat thats looking for crew has a reason that skipper is always looking for crew,
@mimico If you just want to go out for an afternoon/eve sail on a 30ft boat to see if you like sailboats come over to Bronte and we can go for a ride.

Humber Bay is doing some great programs and the value is there IMO. So is my old C&C 32 and shes a delight to sail lol.

Riding my bike along Toronto waterfront most weekends, through some marinas and boat spots. Is it physically possible for a woman between 18-45 in a bikini or similar not to have her phone in her hand taking selfies, panning the phone around to show their followers where they are?

Riding my bike along Toronto waterfront most weekends, through some marinas and boat spots. Is it physically possible for a woman between 18-45 in a bikini or similar not to have her phone in her hand taking selfies, panning the phone around to show their followers where they are?
1723050735664.png

If you know, you know.
1723078360737.png

Its a no wake zone and they are compliant.

Back
Top Bottom