Boat Rentals | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boat Rentals

I’d like to do the canal loop in Canada , I’ve only done a few locks , current boat draws 6ft so wrong for the job . We looked at a 26ft Ranger tug which would be perfect , the 200k tag stings a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I’d like to do the canal loop in Canada , I’ve only done a few locks , current boat draws 6ft so wrong for the job . We looked at a 26ft Ranger tug which would be perfect , the 200k tag stings a bit.

Rangers are beautiful boats -- but overkill for an inland cruiser -- and way too compact and expensive for me. Plus I don't like outboards or gennies rachet strapped to swim platforms.

The Canadian canals don't require an ocean-going vessel, my choice would be a gently used but well-maintained beamy full salon cruiser with a flybridge. A lot easier on the pocketbook, and way more comfortable.

Last edited:
@crankcall
Is this at our marina?

There are more videos of that (@mimico_polak had a good one but I don't know where he got it). Lots of bumper boats. I didn't realize that some marinas were the mouth of rivers used for stormwater. As per the other discussion about 10M in cars getting flooded, while I didn't see any boats get damaged enough to sink, fibreglass and gelcoat repairs on most boats in a Marina will be a very big number.

Last edited:
There are more videos of that (@mimico_polak had a good one but I don't know where he got it). Lots of bumper boats. I didn't realize that some marinas were the mouth of rivers used for stormwater. As per the other discussion about 10M in cars getting flooded, while I didn't see any boats get damaged enough to sink, fibreglass and gelcoat repairs on most boats in a Marina will be a very big number.
I sent him one on WhatsApp yesterday. Maybe that is the one you are referring to.
Similar video but from the opposite viewing angle.

I sent him one on WhatsApp yesterday. Maybe that is the one you are referring to.
Yeah. On a lawn, boats moving left to right. Some expensive sounding collisions with the docked boats.

From an insurance perspective, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Do insurers of individual boats go after the dock owner for the money?

Yeah. On a lawn, boats moving left to right. Some expensive sounding collisions with the docked boats.

From an insurance perspective, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Do insurers of individual boats go after the dock owner for the money?
That's the one.

Here are some more pics
1721235666865.png

1721235684515.png

1721235711702.png

1721235727349.png

Oakville harbour got it worse than Bronte, The docks in Navy Flats ( about 750 meters north of Lakeshore rd) were anchored with concrete balls on chain, but add 3ft of water surge and it all floats away. Then they just pinballed thier way out into the lake . Bronte had dozens of 1000lb trees washing down the river , one finger dock sheered off , lots of 'small' damage to rudders and outboards . An 8,000 lb powerboat floating at 8kph whacking another boat gets very expensive very fast . I spent most of yesterday afternoon and early evening helping Bronte marina boat owners get lines secured and boats moved to safety .

The shear number of people with CTC $9.00 fenders and mooring lines made from boot laces was really pissing me off . You tie up a boat like your leaving it for a year , even if your coming back in an hour . The Townies are calling this a 'once in a lifetime storm' . sure... maybe some better dock construction and anchoring will come out of this . This weather will be back.

Yes that's the one. I had to keep occupied with GTAM down!

The video showed the boats still tied to the dock...did the dock let loose and pull the boat...or did the boat pull the dock?

Oakville harbour got it worse than Bronte, The docks in Navy Flats ( about 750 meters north of Lakeshore rd) were anchored with concrete balls on chain, but add 3ft of water surge and it all floats away. Then they just pinballed thier way out into the lake . Bronte had dozens of 1000lb trees washing down the river , one finger dock sheered off , lots of 'small' damage to rudders and outboards . An 8,000 lb powerboat floating at 8kph whacking another boat gets very expensive very fast . I spent most of yesterday afternoon and early evening helping Bronte marina boat owners get lines secured and boats moved to safety .

The shear number of people with CTC $9.00 fenders and mooring lines made from boot laces was really pissing me off . You tie up a boat like your leaving it for a year , even if your coming back in an hour . The Townies are calling this a 'once in a lifetime storm' . sure... maybe some better dock construction and anchoring will come out of this . This weather will be back.
Our sites need to be built to 100 year storm surges to ensure that everything is safe during big rains. Our emergency water channel was about 90% at capacity...but the site and everything around stayed dry...

The insurance bill will be huge, and we can all expect our house / car insurance premiums to go up as a result.

The video showed the boats still tied to the dock...did the dock let loose and pull the boat...or did the boat pull the dock?
Dock is supposed to remain in place. Obviously many of the boats attached to the now mobile dock had sufficient mooring lines to keep them attached to the theoretically fixed object. Obviously I don't know enough to know if the dock floated its anchors or broke them off. In either case, that failure was outside of the boaters control and if an insurance company can dodge paying, I'm sure they'll try. I don't even know how boat insurance works in a mass casualty. Is it no-fault or is it still lawyers suing everybody?

The miniature tidal wave that came down stream from the Kelso dam breach appeared at an alleged 20kph. The chains on the docks just ripped out of the pressure treated frames . Boats , picnic tables and bbqs on the docks , all out into Lake Ontario. The docks are town owned so unless you can argue act of God , I would think they are on the hook for damages .
It was pretty funny ( for those not involved) watching people get ferried out into the lake to drive thier boats home . They had to rehome about 20 boats till they figure out what’s next .

We race tonight off Oakville , I’m more than a bit concerned about debris in the lake , some really big logs are floating around . Keeps things interesting. The SOSA glider club hasn’t been able to get planes up for almost two weeks , drainage on the grass runways is non existent. They need about 10 days of continuing dry to get back to normal.

Dock is supposed to remain in place. Obviously many of the boats attached to the now mobile dock had sufficient mooring lines to keep them attached to the theoretically fixed object. Obviously I don't know enough to know if the dock floated its anchors or broke them off. In either case, that failure was outside of the boaters control and if an insurance company can dodge paying, I'm sure they'll try. I don't even know how boat insurance works in a mass casualty. Is it no-fault or is it still lawyers suing everybody?
Many in the boating community seem to think scuffing the side of someone else's $500,000 cruiser is like NASCAR. So what?
What do you shrug off?

If you race boats , you accept the risk of being scuffed or worse . If you cruise boats any contact is unacceptable. Period . We have a lot of new members in the boating community that have not been coached or trained. It’s a really expensive problem and quite annoying to those that have put in the effort.

We race tonight off Oakville , I’m more than a bit concerned about debris in the lake , some really big logs are floating around .
We ended up keeping someone on the bow to call them out, though there was one leg where we had to hang on to a tack upwind a lot longer than planned to go around a whole bunch of logs and deadheads.

If you race boats , you accept the risk of being scuffed or worse .
We had a Star lose their tiller extension and round up uncontrolled into our leeward side a few weeks ago. Skipper was literally mid-sentence to ask if anyone was to leeward (large carbon genny not good for visibility) when the Star came leaping up the side of the boat like a shark (small 's'). Fortunately, we were heeled over pretty good (and on starboard, thank you very much), so they came up over the deck and only took out two stanchions and a portlight. They were in much worse shape, as our way meant the stanchions cut some pretty big gashes in her bow, and I think the boat was eventually written off (Stars are pretty cheap).

The same race had a Niagara 26 t-bone a Shark at a mark, taking out the entire jib winch and base. I can barely remember a collision in many years of racing there, and we get two in one night.

If you cruise boats any contact is unacceptable. Period . We have a lot of new members in the boating community that have not been coached or trained. It’s a really expensive problem and quite annoying to those that have put in the effort.

I'm kind of astonished at the size of some boats that roll through Toronto with people in charge who clearly have no idea what they're doing. Usually large cabin cruisers, pushing the max wake possible, fenders dragging, tunes cranked, and zero concept of right-of-way.

zero concept of right-of-way.
They have all the concept they need. "I am a rich entitled dick, gtfo of my way". Worst-case they get a ticket that is worth less than the champagne they drank on the cruise.

EDIT:
FWIW, a friend of a friend had a monster yacht in Toronto for a while (80'+). Owner/operator seemed competent and concerned about safety. While gassing up, cops boarded with pictures of people drinking on the boat while underway (not the captain who was stone sober) and handed him the ticket. Ticket was <$500 and he was putting in $3k in gas that they burned on the cruise. Cops suggested red cups as then they don't have any evidence to use and won't bother stopping and writing tickets.

Last edited:
The miniature tidal wave that came down stream from the Kelso dam breach appeared at an alleged 20kph. The chains on the docks just ripped out of the pressure treated frames . Boats , picnic tables and bbqs on the docks , all out into Lake Ontario. The docks are town owned so unless you can argue act of God , I would think they are on the hook for damages .
It was pretty funny ( for those not involved) watching people get ferried out into the lake to drive thier boats home . They had to rehome about 20 boats till they figure out what’s next .

I was wondering what the giant metal pipe was. Apparently that was a debris boom that also broke free. Facepalm.

Back
Top Bottom