BMW owners movement! | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW owners movement!

Hey Thanks for posting the Training Seminar advertisement! I joined the club back in Sept. when I bought a 2011 F800R. But about 3000 kms on it before storing it for the winter and it's really fun to ride. Hope to see / meet some of you guys in the spring! Cheers, - Andrew -

Wouldn't mind doing some touring around Canada, a little bit of off-road. I ride a 250 now, just started riding, and will work towards the bigger bikes and i hope one of these BMWs will be in my future.

I went from a ninja 250 to the F650GS twin (predecessor to the new 700). No regrets at all. Easy to ride, comfortable and lots of accessories to waste your money on!

I joined the club back in August, replacing my Ducati 900 with a the 650 Sertao. Less power, obviously, but capable of riding over pretty much anything terrain I want to. Very comfortable on long trips as well. 10 000kms since I picked it up and no regrets.

8195562450_01bb1bfcf1_z.jpg

Currently considering a 2012 F800 R or a slightly used 2008 R1200r (about the same price) to replace my FZ1.

I like the R8R as it is nimble for around town and on the back roads and twisties, but not certain how it will take to the 400 highways I use to get to those good roads. The Gen 1 FZ1 was almost the perfect bike except for around town riding, but I did little of that, with over 60 000 ks it is time for a new bike (sold)

Feeling that the R12r may be better for me as I like to do all day trips up north and the odd weekend tour to PA and NY, will it be too sedate? Will it keep up with the F8R on the technical roads?

Have looked at the Triumph Tiger 800, BMW GS 700 and the New Vstrom. My safe pick could be a Gen 2 FZ1 (2008 or newer -Best bang for the buck)

Input is welcome especially from those who own or have owned one or both of these bikes.

Last edited:
Currently considering a 2012 F800 R or a slightly used 2008 R1200r (about the same price) to replace my FZ1.

I like the R8R as it is nimble for around town and on the back roads and twisties, but not certain how it will take to the 400 highways I use to get to those good roads. The Gen 1 FZ1 was almost the perfect bike except for around town riding, but I did little of that, with over 60 000 ks it is time for a new bike (sold)

I'm a 2011 F800R owner and put on 25,000 km since I got it. It's absolutely fantastic in town and on the twisties. It's not bad on the 400 series highways; I'll typically ride out of Toronto on them to get to the twisties faster. You get lots of wind since it's naked (and the "windscreen" doesn't do much) but it's manageable. And kind of nice when it's quite hot out.

The biggest issue for me was the handlebar vibrations above 4000 rpm. I fixed this by getting the heavy Throttlemeister bar ends ($180 shipped). Vibrations reduced to the point where you don't even notice them.

Try beamer boneyard. Search on Google for their website.

Last edited:
I joined the club back in August, replacing my Ducati 900 with a the 650 Sertao.

8195562450_01bb1bfcf1_z.jpg

Nice shot!
I'm toying with idea of trading my F800s for a Sertao this spring...

F800s is a terriffic all-round bike (last summer alone I put on a good 20k and the tires didn't even know what a chicken strip looked like), but i'm itching to take the roads less traveled after renting an Enduro in Chile..

Happy to hear from a (local) satisfied Sertao owner.

ggelements, personally, the bike is a perfect fit for me as I don't miss the power and agility of a "regular" bike. The Sertao is like a mule, it gets to where it needs to go at its own pace but is a good alternative to its more off-road oriented competition like KTM. If you're into riding at a quicker pace you might find the Sertao a bit sedate. The 700 or 800 might be better options. That said, I've never been left behind by any of the other GS's.

Here's an update on my Sertao:

8596803992_a9bb31ba38_c.jpg

Last edited:
New owner here also. Picked up my S1000 last Saturday. Managed to get a kms in before this weather hit.

Picked up an 07 F800ST last November and managed to get a couple of rides in prior to the end of the season. It's a big difference from my 2002 Suzuki 600 and I'm loving it. My better half prefers it as well when we're 2 up. Now I have to fight the urge to get all the cool accessories that are on the market for it.

Attachments

• New Toy.jpg
    New Toy.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 55
Hi everyone. I just got my first beemer (HP4) this side of the pond (I got an old K100 I keep in Germany for touring around there). The Sertao and F800ST are excellent for what they are made for and very versatile. I was toying with an F800ST for a daily driver, but having always wanted a side-car bike, I went bought an Ural (gasp!) and will use that for around town and commuting...I live downtown, so I didn't want to ride a 190 hp sportsbike around with all the streetcar tracks...in fact, the HP4 is kept in the suburbs for track days.
Anyhow, are there any regular BMW rider meetings in Toronto???

Back
Top Bottom