BMW owners movement! | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW owners movement!

on the other hand you can just pick it up and carry it out of the mud...

Just test rode an S1000RR on the weekend during the BMW Toronto Motorrad Children's Aid event. Although it was a sedate demo ride overall, there were a few opportunities to accelerate and lean it over...all I can say is 'wow'. And here I was thinking that my bike kicks a**.

There was a brief window of thinking about a second bike but unfortunately the bank (i.e. wife) nixed that idea after she was told that it is basically a full on race bike made legal for the street.

Sadly will have to do with my K1300S. ;-)

That's sorta funny because I also love the K1300S and wouldn't mind one as a second bike. You got a nice ride.

I am still riding my 2000 Cocnours, but have a 2010 K1300GT with only 6800 km on ODO. Still thinking about either selling the bimmer or may be keeping it and selling the Concours instead. If I be doing a lot of touring, there would be no question, I would keep the K1300GT, however, I mostly commuting in Toronto. On the other hand I have a dream someday to make a ride to Grand Canyon, which is not for the Concie, I would say.

Keep the GT. why isn't commuting on the GT am option ?

It is an option, indeed. I am just not sure about BMW maintenance cost. Is it a lot? Otherwise, the gas mileage is better and overall fill is better, except it is harder to hold my horses. I mean I sometimes accelerate too fast when I am riding it. Just for fun. Though I think it will subside if I will be riding it regularly. The other question is: is it safe in Toronto to leave parked on street?

It is an option, indeed. I am just not sure about BMW maintenance cost. Is it a lot? Otherwise, the gas mileage is better and overall fill is better, except it is harder to hold my horses. I mean I sometimes accelerate too fast when I am riding it. Just for fun. Though I think it will subside if I will be riding it regularly. The other question is: is it safe in Toronto to leave parked on street?

From friends who ride beemers:

1) Maintenance cost works out the same in the long run. Why? because the scheduled maintenance periods are often way longer than the jap bikes.. ie. You may have 1k service, 10k server, 20k service on the Beemer and the jap bikes maybe 1k, 6k, 12k, 18k etc.

2) Labour per hour at BMW dealerships are more than at "generic" garages, but there are shops that have BMW Qualified techs (ie. Pro 6 Cycle) so there is an option.

3) Theft/Parking - The most stolen bikes are Super Sport bikes, and mainly from Condo parking lots. You rarely get bikes stolen from downtown Toronto off the street. There are tons of BMWs parked downtown. Your biggest worry (for any bike) is hit and run parking jobs.

Why steal a bike? to make money from reselling parts or the whole bike. A non SS bike is harder to part out or sell, so stealing a GT would be a pain as the resale market is smaller, and its not really a track bike.. ;)

Hey Sunny that looks mint, looks like you have kept it sheltered since the last time we rode together. :lmao:. Got to organize another one bud. Message our buds from f800riders forum also the two fellas from the US mike I think is his name. Also remember Roberto aka Gladiator his bike had a major rear wheel bearing failure. It's in the shop.

wjyush.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Also remember Roberto aka Gladiator his bike had a major rear wheel bearing failure. It's in the shop.

Thats cos he rides too slow. :)

It is an option, indeed. I am just not sure about BMW maintenance cost. Is it a lot?

It's the parts that cost a fortune. Example, a simple replacement oilpan drain bolt for my bike.... $32

Last edited:
As another F800s owner, the parts are expensive (...and BMW labour is a bit more than Rosey Toes), but the service intervals are much less frequent. For me it's an oil change every 10K (at Rosey Toes) and a valve check every 20K (dealer) -so it actually works out cheaper (or on par) with my old Suzi.

Last edited:
BMW raises the bar yet again....

the new 2013 F700 and F800GS..... now with traction control (ESA) and stability control (ASC).

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-f700gs/

I have both ESA and ASC on my '10 GSA. I dont think I have ever noticed the ASC or if its ever activated, but the ESA is amazing. I never thought I would use it, but this weekend I was constantly switching between the different settings. Was in the Adirondacks and down to the Catskills, so switching to sport mode over and over as the endless winding twisty roads came.

ESA is fantastic, I would now not buy a bike without it. The ASC, well I have never noticed it and assume its never activated while I ride so I could do without.

Trying to trade in my '05 GS and the stealer told me they need to replace a few items to the tune of 1/3 of the cost of the new bike so I'm trying to track them down used and save considerable coin. Please let me know ASAP if you have any of the following for sale:

- front cast wheel (not bent or warped)
- front and rear rotors (any condition except totally used) non-ABS
- front headlight assembly
- used (less than 75%) front Heidenau OR
- used (less than 75%) rear Anakee OR
- used front & rear matching rubber (any make; used less than 75%)
- used stock GS muffler
- used or new clutch assembly (they want $2k in the shop!!!)

Please contact me ASAP if you have any of these, or a lead on where I could look/ask!!

Trying to trade in my '05 GS and the stealer told me they need to replace a few items to the tune of 1/3 of the cost of the new bike so I'm trying to track them down used and save considerable coin. Please let me know ASAP if you have any of the following for sale:

- front cast wheel (not bent or warped)
- front and rear rotors (any condition except totally used) non-ABS
- front headlight assembly
- used (less than 75%) front Heidenau OR
- used (less than 75%) rear Anakee OR
- used front & rear matching rubber (any make; used less than 75%)
- used stock GS muffler
- used or new clutch assembly (they want $2k in the shop!!!)

Please contact me ASAP if you have any of these, or a lead on where I could look/ask!!

Have you tried beemer boneyard? www.beemerboneyard.com?

The cast wheels usually go pretty quick, and are not cheap. An option to look at for that is Woodies, they repair as well as sell, and seem to have a pretty good reputation on advrider.

I had to replace the clutch on my old '06 GS a few years back, with the install the price came to $1500, and that was a BMW dealer shop time plus parts, not sure why they would charge $2K for just the parts.

Trying to trade in my '05 GS and the stealer told me they need to replace a few items to the tune of 1/3 of the cost of the new bike so I'm trying to track them down used and save considerable coin.

Sounds like you are not going to be getting much for your bike. Have you considered selling it as is...might find someone willing to do the repairs themselves... that way they could take their time to source the parts.

On a friends F800S the dealer wanted $1100 + labour for the parts to repair the stator. BMW wants to replace the entire assembly, flywheel and stator. I found the same parts for $800US and even better we sourced a rebuilt stator ( better than the original ) for a little over $100 US and installed it ourselves.

130.jpg

What's the intended use? Both decent machines but there is not a lot of adventure bike areas in any kind of decent range and they are not particularly light or low tho there are lowering options.

First bike or??

Wouldn't mind doing some touring around Canada, a little bit of off-road. I ride a 250 now, just started riding, and will work towards the bigger bikes and i hope one of these BMWs will be in my future.

K- there were some terrific deals on the BMW 650 single that Mimico was considering. Nice farkles on them.
The twins are better for touring but a bit of a bear in the dirt unless you are tallish and strong.

Those Honda new Honda 500s would be sweet for one up as well if you want new and move up. I think it's the X.

Back
Top Bottom