BMW owners movement! | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW owners movement!

Have read a bit about it on ADV, they have a huge thread on the 1250. Curious to see what they bring to the table with the next gen GS, but I wont be moving up to one for a while, just bought a new to me '10 GSA in August, so thats more then suiting my needs and keeps the grin factor high.
I hear you. Mine's an 05, but I'm now running into electrical gremlins [damn that CANBUS crap] to the tune of over $1600... so I'm beginning to wonder where my money would be best spent.

ztu3i9.png

Unfortunately the time has come to rid myself of this wonderful beast. Last year I only got in 1300km and this year with the baby coming it will even be less, a shame to keep such a thing of beauty stored up and collecting dust. So just polling out here to ask...

How much can I get for my 2009 K1300R? Its black silk metallic, 2 bags (tank and rear), BMW Navigator GPS, and Storage Cover. It has every option that comes with the bike (even alarm). Brand new without accessories (it was 23k including taxes) and I have ridden it for 2 seasons.

I hear you. Mine's an 05, but I'm now running into electrical gremlins [damn that CANBUS crap] to the tune of over $1600... so I'm beginning to wonder where my money would be best spent.

If you do upgrade to a newer GS, its really worth it with the new DOHC boxers, the power boost is more then noticeable. I had an '06 GS before and moving to a '10 GSA was a great upgrade power wise, didn't think I wanted more, but having it, I am not complaining.

Unfortunately the time has come to rid myself of this wonderful beast. Last year I only got in 1300km and this year with the baby coming it will even be less, a shame to keep such a thing of beauty stored up and collecting dust. So just polling out here to ask...

How much can I get for my 2009 K1300R? Its black silk metallic, 2 bags (tank and rear), BMW Navigator GPS, and Storage Cover. It has every option that comes with the bike (even alarm). Brand new without accessories (it was 23k including taxes) and I have ridden it for 2 seasons.

Consider that a 2012 base MSRP is under $17k and pretty much fully loaded and taxes included is $22k.

Consider that a 2012 base MSRP is under $17k and pretty much fully loaded and taxes included is $22k.

Bang on thanks... wondering if I should just part the GPS and sell that seperate. We will see.

Bang on thanks... wondering if I should just part the GPS and sell that seperate. We will see.

I sympathise. When I became a dad I put riding on the back burner and stored my bike for nearly 15 years. The last six or so years I've ridden more than I ever did, even when the bike was my only means of transportation. The K1300R is a lovely machine but if you aren't going to ride it you're probably wisest to sell. Advertise well and you should get good value for it.

If all goes well there will be a 12 S1000RR in my garage so count me in for any BMW riding adventures.

What colour are you getting?

You should love the bike. I do.

If you're interested I can tell you what I've added or changed to mine that you might want to consider.

What colour are you getting?

You should love the bike. I do.

If you're interested I can tell you what I've added or changed to mine that you might want to consider.

I want the red/white combo. I'm in love with it. First mod has to be an Akro though:D
Id be interested in your mods and feedback. I always like real world experience thanks!

I want the red/white combo. I'm in love with it. First mod has to be an Akro though:D
Id be interested in your mods and feedback. I always like real world experience thanks!

I have an Acid Green. I like the red/white/black one best of the current colours. Good choice.

I have Woodcraft frame sliders and spools, Pazzo levers, Vortex rearsets, BMW seat cowl. I kept the stock exhaust. The levers and rearsets were big improvements for me. Most S1000RR owners use the Attack rearsets but I prefer the simple profile of the Vortex. The Woodcraft sliders are subtle, which I like.

I have 20,000 kms on mine so far and love it. Handling is precise and quick. Brakes are extremely good. Power is grin-creating.

The ABS is not too intrusive. I almost never feel it come on for the front, not often for the back. Traction control also is not too apparent unless you're riding at ridiculous pace through corners, other than wheelie control which is pretty constant with any strong throttle inputs. I don't find it annoying as it is pretty smooth. The shift assist is very fun and makes a very cool exhaust note when you use it under full throttle.

I sympathise. When I became a dad I put riding on the back burner and stored my bike for nearly 15 years. The last six or so years I've ridden more than I ever did, even when the bike was my only means of transportation. The K1300R is a lovely machine but if you aren't going to ride it you're probably wisest to sell. Advertise well and you should get good value for it.

Thanks so much Griffin. I will definitely look forward to the days when I can just take off without any responsibility and enjoy the ride. I will miss the KR as its such a rare and wonderful bike. I find it to be the perfect compromise between a cruiser, sports bike, and tourer - giving you an all-in-one kind of package. However letting something just sit there for 15 years (assuming that is how it will be) is not fair to the wonderful machine BMW has created. I know there are some collectors out there that would disagree but I believe in using our toys, not storing them - never a bad thing to pass the torch on to another enthusiast.

I have an Acid Green. I like the red/white/black one best of the current colours. Good choice.

I have Woodcraft frame sliders and spools, Pazzo levers, Vortex rearsets, BMW seat cowl. I kept the stock exhaust. The levers and rearsets were big improvements for me. Most S1000RR owners use the Attack rearsets but I prefer the simple profile of the Vortex. The Woodcraft sliders are subtle, which I like.

I have 20,000 kms on mine so far and love it. Handling is precise and quick. Brakes are extremely good. Power is grin-creating.

The ABS is not too intrusive. I almost never feel it come on for the front, not often for the back. Traction control also is not too apparent unless you're riding at ridiculous pace through corners, other than wheelie control which is pretty constant with any strong throttle inputs. I don't find it annoying as it is pretty smooth. The shift assist is very fun and makes a very cool exhaust note when you use it under full throttle.

20K already, thats awesome. Nice set of mods... I'll be sure to let ya know as soon as I confirm!

I'm thinking an RT would be a nice machine in a few years. I prefer the looks of the 1150RT (1100RT's not bad too), but I hear the 1200 is lighter and better.

I'm planning to take my Bandit to the East Coast this summer and was just thinking... "would be great to bring my fiancee along, but I bet she'd get to hate this on my bike." At last year's bike show, she gave me a funny look when I asked her to try sitting on an old 1000 Concours, but then realized how comfty it is...

Anyways, back to the RT's... they're the best-handling tourers around right? Pretty reliable too? Any reason to buy a certain vintage/model (1100 vs 1150 vs 1200) bike?

Last edited:
The RT1100 and 1150 have a few differences. You'll want to look for the dual spark. No dead spots and they run better. I believe the dual sparks came out in 03? I have an 04 and shes a dream. I did a run to Barber in Alabama and did a week at the Dragon, then did the BRP top to bottom no issues at all. All the regular maintenance is pretty easy, the wizzy brakes are not fun to bleed though. Its way easier to work on than my friends K1200R. Just remember its a sport touring..not a sport. Don't expect to run down any sport bikes.
The options on it are pretty good too. I never thought I'd use the power windscreen but I use it all the time on the highway, heated grips, adjustable seat, brake and shifter, suspension is adjusted with a knob, no tools needed, fog light, just about everything you need. okay..sorry for all the fawning..if you have any other questions or want to check it out let me know.

Anyways, back to the RT's... they're the best-handling tourers around right?

Lets just say that most riders are likely to run out of talent before the bike does.

The big bikes are only limited by the hard parts they are scraping. :)

5pea7p.jpg

Last edited:
I'll offer a +1 for the R1150RT. I have on 03 with dual spark. I can't say a negative thing about this machine. Comfortable, great handling, inspires mile after mile and just doesn't disappoint. Like atss2006 said, it isn't a rocket when compared with sport bikes but it offers excellent acceleration and can certainly hold its own. I use all of the amenities on the bike and won't give them up in the future. As it is today, the only bike I would put on the top of the list is the R1200RT.

My wife wouldn't get near my other bikes but she has no problem jumping on the back of the RT and going for long distance rides with me. The adjustable suspension comes in really handy for 2 upping. The R1200RT offers all the adjustability electronically where earlier models are manually adjustable. That's a real nice advantage but I am not shelling out $25K anytime soon.

If you are looking for a sport touring machine you won't be disappointed. Also, BMW dealers allow demo rides, at least Open Road did.

Sounds great! I'd better start saving.

My Bandit isn't by any stretch a sport bike, and it's not like I'm scraping parts off of it. I'd like the ability to do Forks of the Credit and Hockley Valley quickly with the next bike, and it sounds like an RT could do that. (With ***-warmers as an option to boot!)

Are your bikes all at high mileage? (100k?)

Are your bikes all at high mileage? (100k?)
My GS is at 110,000km and the only things I've had done to it so far were under warranty (replace the entire final drive about 4yrs ago). Everything else is original; I've had no problems until a recent electrical gremlin.. but that seems to have fixed itself when I removed the battery from the bike for 3 weeks.

I met a guy on the Cabot Trail who was riding a brand new (at the time 2007) RT and he told me he traded from the 05 GS mainly to accommodate his wife. She apparently LOVES getting on the RT, didn't really like the GS at all (and I always thought the riding position and style would be identical, for highway miles) - and the bonus points for the RT were improved handling, incredible wind cover behind the adjustable windscreen, and increased mileage from under 400km to a tank, to over 550km tot he tank when riding two-up. I'm considering the jump to the RT as well... but I've been considering it for 3yrs and haven't done much beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom