Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 66 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

It was $2200, 1600 is trek trying to clear out inventory.

If I wasn't in a rush, I'd consider low-balling a bunch of bike candidates. Seller asks for 800, offer 500. Some may take it as that's still a decent amount of cash back into the wallet. While 800 is a decent discount from New, in my experience mtb has a huge haircut. Road bikes hold value much better (not sure why).

Ok, going to take a look tomorrow. If it doesn’t fit that’s an easy pass anyway.

Hmmm. Bike was mint but the saddle height on the dropper post was already adjusted to the lowest point and I could just get on the saddle. Once on it was comfy and standing on the pedals and dropping the post the saddle was out the way. Only issue is that I’d like some adjustability in the saddle height to tinker with fine adjustments.

Reach was ok but I didn’t pedal it much and there didn’t seem too much adjustability to shorten the reach near the bars.

A new dropper post looks to be a few hundred bucks.

If I’m honest I think it was one size too large. It might have worked but I wouldn’t have that many options to make things smaller if I needed it.

Bikes are really thin on the ground it seems for particular sizes.

Decathlon online availability is one model, looks reasonable with name brand components called an xc100 at about $1k

A Giant Fathom 2 Fathom 29 2 (2022) | bike | Giant Bicycles Canada. More cash ($1699) but can be purchased with 0% interest.

Then tomorrow I’m going to have a look at a bunch of Trek bikes:

Marlin 7 Gen 3 Marlin 7 Gen 3 - Trek Bikes (CA) $1149

and X-Caliber 8 - Trek Bikes (CA) $1499

Finally another Roscoe 7 @1499 Roscoe 7 - Trek Bikes (CA)

Trawling through the spec sheet

Bikes are really thin on the ground it seems for particular sizes.

Decathlon online availability is one model, looks reasonable with name brand components called an xc100 at about $1k

A Giant Fathom 2 Fathom 29 2 (2022) | bike | Giant Bicycles Canada. More cash ($1699) but can be purchased with 0% interest.

Then tomorrow I’m going to have a look at a bunch of Trek bikes:

Marlin 7 Gen 3 Marlin 7 Gen 3 - Trek Bikes (CA) $1149

and X-Caliber 8 - Trek Bikes (CA) $1499

Finally another Roscoe 7 @1499 Roscoe 7 - Trek Bikes (CA)

Trawling through the spec sheet
If the bike shop has it in stock keep it in mind that they want to move it bad so plenty of haggle room.

If the bike shop has it in stock keep it in mind that they want to move it bad so plenty of haggle room.

Do the dealers of the big brands (Trek/Giant) actually haggle?

Tried a Giant Fathom 2 today and it was nice but I’m now reading complaints about the in house fork.

Do the dealers of the big brands (Trek/Giant) actually haggle?

Tried a Giant Fathom 2 today and it was nice but I’m now reading complaints about the in house fork.
Forget to add before settling on a price check the manufactures site to determine the model year paint scheme and such unless there was a big update like geometry or parts build it probably doesn't mean much to you but if it is a older model you should see a better discount.
Some dealers will just represent it as a brand new bike without telling that its older stock.

Forget to add before settling on a price check the manufactures site to determine the model year paint scheme and such unless there was a big update like geometry or parts build it probably doesn't mean much to you but if it is a older model you should see a better discount.
Some dealers will just represent it as a brand new bike without telling that its older stock.

It looks like all the bikes I’m looking at are 2023 stock right now. I’m going to see if dealer 1 will work to beat dealer 2’s similarly specced bike. Or maybe a discounted fork/brake upgrade/free tubeless conversion or something.

It always creeps me out when i hear someone slowing down behind me when when cycling for no apparent reason.
Here's hoping this guy gets gets appropriate punishment for this.

I’ve been playing with a Garmin Varia radar rear light thing as they were on sale a few weeks ago. It’s awesome. Warns you when there’s a car(s) behind you and then tells you how fast they are approaching and when they are clear.

It always creeps me out when i hear someone slowing down behind me when when cycling for no apparent reason.
Here's hoping this guy gets gets appropriate punishment for this.
As soon as that person got on that bike, they were stripped of their humanity. They are now "a cyclist" and their lives aren't worth anything except a bunch of views on social media

I’ve been playing with a Garmin Varia radar rear light thing as they were on sale a few weeks ago. It’s awesome. Warns you when there’s a car(s) behind you and then tells you how fast they are approaching and when they are clear.
Now get it to control a highly sprung 1m rod with a ceramic/carbide tip. Get within one meter and kablamo. You shouldn't legally have been there anyway so there would have been no contact if you were following the law.

Been bumped once by a car, and run into at speed twice by cyclists, while stopping for the sign at Queens Quay and Stadium years ago. I wonder if cyclists obey the stop there since the bike lanes?

Been bumped once by a car, and run into at speed twice by cyclists, while stopping for the sign at Queens Quay and Stadium years ago. I wonder if cyclists obey the stop there since the bike lanes?
I can tell from a reliable source that it's half and half. That source knows because when they stop they end up having some people passing them and some people stopping with them lol.
And that's allllll along Queens quay. And heck the trail by ontario place too...

I can tell from a reliable source that it's half and half. That source knows because when they stop they end up having some people passing them and some people stopping with them lol.
And that's allllll along Queens quay. And heck the trail by ontario place too...
On a bicycle, if I am not impacting other vehicles, I normally ride stop signs optional. Ride slow enough up to intersection to know if there is cross-traffic or pedestrians. Some of the spots along QQ are ridiculous as they are T-intersections and bikes could not impede any car being driven legally. Again, slow to check for pedestrians as they have the right of way and then go.

On a bicycle, if I am not impacting other vehicles, I normally ride stop signs optional. Ride slow enough up to intersection to know if there is cross-traffic or pedestrians. Some of the spots along QQ are ridiculous as they are T-intersections and bikes could not impede any car being driven legally. Again, slow to check for pedestrians as they have the right of way and then go.
Oh i hear you. And i get it.
But i stop usually... its an hour long commute and in the end, it's a break for me and it's better optics from the cagers point of view

"those cyclistSTSSTSS are always BREkiNg tEH laW"

Picked up a used Specialized Pitch for cheap on Marketplace for my wife to chase the kids on but the front hub bearings are needing replacement? Is that something I can do myself or are special bicycle tools required? Hubs are Specialized Stout.

Attachments

• IMG_5715.jpeg
    IMG_5715.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 5
Picked up a used Specialized Pitch for cheap on Marketplace for my wife to chase the kids on but the front hub bearings are needing replacement? Is that something I can do myself or are special bicycle tools required? Hubs are Specialized Stout.

If it was the back you’d need a cassette tool specific for that cassette but the front might be ok.

Likely "sealed" bearing assemblies not at all hard to swap out just watch a couple youtube videos. You may also need a cone wrench (thin wrench). Some people just tap them in but you can make a poorman's bearing press with some threaded rod, washers, nuts and the right sized sockets.

Back
Top Bottom