Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 67 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

It always creeps me out when i hear someone slowing down behind me when when cycling for no apparent reason.
Here's hoping this guy gets gets appropriate punishment for this.

I think that was a thing a little while ago.. I saw a bunch of vids of people hitting cyclists...
they killed a retired police chief last year while doing it... on video.

Likely "sealed" bearing assemblies not at all hard to swap out just watch a couple youtube videos. You may also need a cone wrench (thin wrench). Some people just tap them in but you can make a poorman's bearing press with some threaded rod, washers, nuts and the right sized sockets.

Pro tip: hit the center of the hub with some heat (heat gun/hair dryer). The heat will creep outwards to the Al hub's bearing flange and it will expand faster than the outer race of the bearing. Light tap and they will pop right out. Reverse when installing the new ones.

Why do some intersections need separate traffic lights for cyclists?
FB_IMG_1724773975902.jpg

Why do some intersections need separate traffic lights for cyclists?
View attachment 69517
My guess is to avoid conflicts. That intersection would be rough for both drivers and cyclists. A vehicle coming towards the camera and turning left would have a hard time spotting a bike going in the same direction but straight through. Without bike specific lights, both could have a green at the same time. Similarly for vehicles going away from camera and turning right. Bike comes up quick and there would be a lot of crashes.

I would say that it is a terrible idea for a normal rider. If someone is racing, maybe? Can you generate slightly more power in a sprint if you slide the cleat a little back? Can you vary the muscle strain by sliding the cleat on a long ride to target/relieve the stress on different muscles? On a similar vein, it wouldn't be that much harder to have offset pedals so you could vary effective crank length during a ride. All mostly useless wankery for recreational riders but when money gets involved, maybe there are small gains to be had.

Took a ferry in Quebec the other day. We were some of the only people not in cycling gear with bikes and also some of the youngest on the ferry. Pretty impressive, it’s a huge social scene. Big groups of friends off for a tootle. I noticed quite a few e-bikes among them too though.

Last edited:
It is the constant quest for marginal gains at the elite level. Good or bad these trickle down...if the pros use (or do) this then it must make me better....

As for being clipped in, when I started riding (motorcycle) it was actually a bit weird to me not being clipped in on two wheels...

It is the constant quest for marginal gains at the elite level. Good or bad these trickle down...if the pros use (or do) this then it must make me better....

As for being clipped in, when I started riding (motorcycle) it was actually a bit weird to me not being clipped in on two wheels...
When I hurt my ankle and couldn't unclip for a few years, I switched to flats on my mtb. It's still weird. I'm trying to get used to it and there are some advantages but decades of being clipped in are hard to overcome.

When I hurt my ankle and couldn't unclip for a few years, I switched to flats on my mtb. It's still weird. I'm trying to get used to it and there are some advantages but decades of being clipped in are hard to overcome.
I consider the sound of SPDs engaging and disengaging to be a zen sound of summer...

Still can't get used to mine yet. Riding with one foot clipped in at a time so far. Seems difficult to unclip at times but I was sure I adjusted the tension all the way. Maybe the screw has a few turns left in it.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Still can't get used to mine yet. Riding with one foot clipped in at a time so far. Seems difficult to unclip at times but I was sure I adjusted the tension all the way. Maybe the screw has a few turns left in it.

I suspect you will find it is more technique than spring tension. When setting up, lean the bike against something (a work stand would be better or you could hang it from the front wheel) and clip shoe into pedal without your foot in it. flip it over so you can see the pedal and bottom of shoe. Depending on shoe design, cleat location and pedal design, you can get in a situation where the grip knobs on the shoe get caught on parts of the pedal which inhibits rotation and release. A quick modification with a knife and the problem is solved.

I suspect you will find it is more technique than spring tension. When setting up, lean the bike against something (a work stand would be better or you could hang it from the front wheel) and clip shoe into pedal without your foot in it. flip it over so you can see the pedal and bottom of shoe. Depending on shoe design, cleat location and pedal design, you can get in a situation where the grip knobs on the shoe get caught on parts of the pedal which inhibits rotation and release. A quick modification with a knife and the problem is solved.
These are 5-10 shoes with sticky rubber around the cleat section. I seem to have to exaggerate the twist to get my foot out.

These are 5-10 shoes with sticky rubber around the cleat section. I seem to have to exaggerate the twist to get my foot out.

A shim to move the cleat out a bit may ease rotation. I can't remember what pedals you bought. Do they have adjustable pins for grip? If I have the pins too long, releasing is very difficult.

My tips,

Back off the tension on the pedals.
When first starting out with clipless you should also just be very conscious and exaggerated unclipping until it becomes second nature. Even well before a planned stop, start with many short rides around the block.
Shim the cleats if that is the issue.
You can also try multi-release cleats.

When they got popular is was always entertaining watching people who switched from toe clips to clipless. They stop and would panic trying to pull the shoe back out of the clips until they fell over....

When they got popular is was always entertaining watching people who switched from toe clips to clipless. They stop and would panic trying to pull the shoe back out of the clips until they fell over....
I vividly remember an embarrassing toe clip crash. I had them tight as I'd been on a long ride and I pulled up to a stop sign. I tried to slide my foot back but there was no way to get out and with my feet at 12 and 6, not enough power to get going again. The slow tip of shame. Once laying on the ground I could release the straps and get out. That's what I get for stopping at a stop sign.

My tips,

Back off the tension on the pedals.
When first starting out with clipless you should also just be very conscious and exaggerated unclipping until it becomes second nature. Even well before a planned stop, start with many short rides around the block.
Shim the cleats if that is the issue.
You can also try multi-release cleats.

The shoes came with thin shims. I'll see if I can find them.

Back
Top Bottom