Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 64 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

Dumpster in cyclist’s death illegally blocking bike lane​

When I was in Montreal a few weeks back the dedicated bike lanes they had were something Toronto should strive to.

When I was in Montreal a few weeks back the dedicated bike lanes they had were something Toronto should strive to.
But people in Toronto will say "but but but... The winters"

Little did they know, winters in Toronto are some of the mildest

A criminal negligence causing death charge against the bin driver would clean that up quickly. No permit, no bleeping way I am putting a dumpster there.

Car bike racks appear to be eye wateringly expensive. Last one I had years ago was an unwieldy heavy rusty thing that suspended the bikes from the frame top tube. Looking at platform ones that will accommodate a bike with fenders. Is it worth the $$$ for a Thule one? Seems that the one I’m looking at will also hold a heavy e-bike if I get one in the future and has a plate and lights relocator. Amazon has interest free payments on them so slightly less painful.

Also is hitch install from U Haul reliable? Their cost is substantially less than most other places.

I've had good luck with Sport Rack racks over the years. Not nearly as fancy as Thule and lacking some advanced features, but they get the job done for half the price.

As for hitches at Uhaul, they're probably fine. Depending on your car, installing a hitch can be incredibly easy. I just put a Curt hitch receiver on my parents Elantra on the weekend. From start to finish (including installing the wiring harness) it took about 30 minutes. Tools required : socket, file (to slightly ovalize the pre-drilled holes in the frame) and ramps/jack stands.

I've had good luck with Sport Rack racks over the years. Not nearly as fancy as Thule and lacking some advanced features, but they get the job done for half the price.

As for hitches at Uhaul, they're probably fine. Depending on your car, installing a hitch can be incredibly easy. I just put a Curt hitch receiver on my parents Elantra on the weekend. From start to finish (including installing the wiring harness) it took about 30 minutes. Tools required : socket, file (to slightly ovalize the pre-drilled holes in the frame) and ramps/jack stands.

Cost to install a Curt at U Haul is $100 a bit more with a wiring harness I think. Seems very reasonable to me and their hitch prices and harnesses also seem very reasonable. Looking at $5-600 ish all in. SUV is a Highlander and there doesn’t seem to be a problem with trim or anything from reviews. I have no idea if it messes with any sensors.

Car bike racks appear to be eye wateringly expensive. Last one I had years ago was an unwieldy heavy rusty thing that suspended the bikes from the frame top tube. Looking at platform ones that will accommodate a bike with fenders. Is it worth the $$$ for a Thule one? Seems that the one I’m looking at will also hold a heavy e-bike if I get one in the future and has a plate and lights relocator. Amazon has interest free payments on them so slightly less painful.

Also is hitch install from U Haul reliable? Their cost is substantially less than most other places.
I got the uhaul one, and bought a swagman rack, takes 2 bikes (i dont have an SUV so can't take more) and wasn't as expensive as thule back then. I think i may have bought it through rack attack.

It has been reliable over the past 3 ish years ive used it. Has had all my bikes on it but sometimes because one of the securing points is one of the tubes (top or down tube) it might be a bit of lego to get two bikes of the same size on it
I wouldve loved one that secures on top of the tire/wheel but that was just not in the budget

There’s a hydro line route near Cloyne that’s popular with all kinds of off-road vehicles.
My cottage was only accessible via that hydro line - I was the last property right where the dam separates Lake Skootamata and the Skootamata river. It's not all that tough of a track, a lot of sand and bedrock, it's maintained well enough that 5-ton bucket trucks can easily run the line.

When leaving one weekend, beavers had dammed a creek that flooded the road. I had my wife's 1 day old Jeep TJ -- silly me tried to fjord the flooded roadway like I was making a Jeep commercial.

Who'd have thought water was tougher than a connecting rods?

I have a swagman that grabs the top tubes. It can tip away from the vehicle so you can open the vehicle hatch without removing the rack. It is decades old and other still works fine. It is heavy.

EDIT:
For top tube racks, on bikes with steeply sloped top tubes (like mtb's) you need to remove the front wheel or it is uncomfortably close to touching the ground. The second issue is for bikes with strangely shaped top tubes (some carbon bikes), it is hard to get it clamped well so that it cannot slide to release pressure without putting too much clamping pressure on the bike.

Last edited:
I got the uhaul one, and bought a swagman rack, takes 2 bikes (i dont have an SUV so can't take more) and wasn't as expensive as thule back then. I think i may have bought it through rack attack.

It has been reliable over the past 3 ish years ive used it. Has had all my bikes on it but sometimes because one of the securing points is one of the tubes (top or down tube) it might be a bit of lego to get two bikes of the same size on it
I wouldve loved one that secures on top of the tire/wheel but that was just not in the budget

Can’t get the top of wheel/tire one as there’s fenders on the bike. There is a workaround that involves padding etc but I don’t like the sound of it with aluminum fenders. The Thule is pricey but even on Kijiji they seem to hold their value if I ever needed to sell it. There’s a version that clamps down on the top tube but that seems to be a no-no for certain frames if I get another bike in the future, it would be fine for my current one though. The Thule epos or easy fold has multiple clamp options and three point contact so looks very secure. The epos has a plate and light kit in case anything is obscured.

A criminal negligence causing death charge against the bin driver would clean that up quickly. No permit, no bleeping way I am putting a dumpster there.
While I agree the accident would not have happened if the dumpster wasn't there... the city does issue permits to obstruct bike and traffic lanes, so permit or not that dumpster could well have been there either way.

I'm a bit tired of cyclists blaming everyone for everything that happens to them. I don't ride a bicycle often, but when I do I'm as careful as when riding my motorcycle. I can't imagine a situation where I'd swerve into a live traffic lane without shoulder checking for 100% safety -- and I can't imagine missing a dump truck when doing a proper check before taking a lane.

While I agree the accident would not have happened if the dumpster wasn't there... the city does issue permits to obstruct bike and traffic lanes, so permit or not that dumpster could well have been there either way.

I'm a bit tired of cyclists blaming everyone for everything that happens to them. I don't ride a bicycle often, but when I do I'm as careful as when riding my motorcycle. I can't imagine a situation where I'd swerve into a live traffic lane without shoulder checking for 100% safety -- and I can't imagine missing a dump truck when doing a proper check before taking a lane.
I agree that most of the blame seems to rest on the rider and the city does allow lanes to be blocked almost routinely. All that being said, the penalties for blocking the lane without permission are trivial. If they want lanes to remain open, the hammer needs to be huge. Maybe $100K daily fine for blocking without permission and $20k for a permit to block? Attach a significant cost to screwing up infrastructure and people can be pretty resourceful with alternate solutions.

Can’t get the top of wheel/tire one as there’s fenders on the bike. There is a workaround that involves padding etc but I don’t like the sound of it with aluminum fenders. The Thule is pricey but even on Kijiji they seem to hold their value if I ever needed to sell it. There’s a version that clamps down on the top tube but that seems to be a no-no for certain frames if I get another bike in the future, it would be fine for my current one though. The Thule epos or easy fold has multiple clamp options and three point contact so looks very secure. The epos has a plate and light kit in case anything is obscured.
Which thule are you talking about?
And yeah the brunt of the weight of mine is in the trays (with ratcheting locks) and the top tube thing is more to hold it in place

I personally don't know HOW the accident happened...but a truck like that is loud as heck... its a freaking scary noise when one passes you so i doubt that she just veered into the truck. My educated guess is that she went into the live lane, ahead of the truck ...and the truck didnt notice her and rolled on top of her. Kinda like if you change lanes and a car going a bit too fast doesn't notice you and rear ends you.

Sure with our moto spidey senses we're used to spotting things like that but someone on their daily commute might not have anticipated that and it cost her her life. Sadly not everyone has that "danger sense" and they rely on other people to survive

edit) cant spell

Last edited:

Here is a eyeful

Back
Top Bottom