Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 402 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Wow ... thankfully the last paragraph will save the taxpayers:

"Needless to say, it appears that the DC government has been taken for a ride here. Thankfully, someone somewhere down the line was awake—the contract states that DC will only pay the $680,000 once all 40 units have been shown to be working."

Wow ... thankfully the last paragraph will save the taxpayers:

"Needless to say, it appears that the DC government has been taken for a ride here. Thankfully, someone somewhere down the line was awake—the contract states that DC will only pay the $680,000 once all 40 units have been shown to be working."
Maybe. The definition of working is critical. Blinking red light is working, pay up. We didn't guarantee 60% range increase.

Random things.

I saw an Ioniq 6 yesterday. It looks better on the road than in photos, although I'm still not a fan of the droopy-butt styling with the beltline going down towards the tail.

On this past Saturday's motorcycle road trip to Port Dover to have lunch ... I lost count of the number of Chevy Bolts that I saw on the road. Usually it isn't like that, but there must have been at least 10 spotted.

And ... There's an email from GM circulating to Bolt owners indicating that they're bringing the Bolt back. "More information later". We know it's not continuing production in Lake Orion MI ... the plant space is allocated to other products. Shipping tooling to Mexico (or Brazil) and continuing production there? The Bolt EUV was recently (March 2023 ... four months ago!) introduced to the Brazilian market (reference: Conforto, tecnologia e sustentabilidade, conheça o Bolt EUV ) and that's a strange thing to do for a vehicle supposedly ending production in half a year.

The other possibility is for a full-redesign replacement of Encore/Trax/Bolt (which are all loosely platform-related) with an Ultium-battery-based vehicle, but there's been no chatter about anything smaller than BEV3 (Equinox) yet, which means this would be years off.

Or maybe they're shipping the tooling to Ramos Arizpe MX and figuring out how to integrate a downsized Ultium battery with the existing Bolt bodyshell and mix-and-match parts to make it work ... all the Ultium powertrain stuff is supposed to be modular.

I've also seen an Ioniq 6 and yeah not a fan of the droopy butt also.

What shocked me yesterday was seeing a Vinfast at the local grocery store mall. I looked back as it went by and saw a weird plate on it but couldn't catch much more on it.

I've also seen an Ioniq 6 and yeah not a fan of the droopy butt also.

What shocked me yesterday was seeing a Vinfast at the local grocery store mall. I looked back as it went by and saw a weird plate on it but couldn't catch much more on it.
There is at least one Vinfast driving around with manufacturer plates.

q44izp7g7bt91.jpg

I've seen one Vinfast with a dealer or manufacturer (forgot which) plate on it. It was a different colour, so it wasn't that specific one.

Rumour is that they ain't selling very many.

Donut Media has some thoughts on the Vinfast.

Random things.

I saw an Ioniq 6 yesterday. It looks better on the road than in photos, although I'm still not a fan of the droopy-butt styling with the beltline going down towards the tail.

On this past Saturday's motorcycle road trip to Port Dover to have lunch ... I lost count of the number of Chevy Bolts that I saw on the road. Usually it isn't like that, but there must have been at least 10 spotted.

And ... There's an email from GM circulating to Bolt owners indicating that they're bringing the Bolt back. "More information later". We know it's not continuing production in Lake Orion MI ... the plant space is allocated to other products. Shipping tooling to Mexico (or Brazil) and continuing production there? The Bolt EUV was recently (March 2023 ... four months ago!) introduced to the Brazilian market (reference: Conforto, tecnologia e sustentabilidade, conheça o Bolt EUV ) and that's a strange thing to do for a vehicle supposedly ending production in half a year.

The other possibility is for a full-redesign replacement of Encore/Trax/Bolt (which are all loosely platform-related) with an Ultium-battery-based vehicle, but there's been no chatter about anything smaller than BEV3 (Equinox) yet, which means this would be years off.

Or maybe they're shipping the tooling to Ramos Arizpe MX and figuring out how to integrate a downsized Ultium battery with the existing Bolt bodyshell and mix-and-match parts to make it work ... all the Ultium powertrain stuff is supposed to be modular.

From a linked article ...

“We have experienced unexpected delays in the ramp because our automation equipment supplier has been struggling with delivery issues that are constraining module assembly capacity,” Barra said during the company’s second-quarter earnings call Tuesday.

Wasn't us! The BT1XX and BV1HX equipment that I had involvement with was late, but someone else was later. I know they can't get batteries to build as many Silverados and Brightdrops as they want to build.

What a brain dead cock up. If it it going to be successful it can't disappear and reappear later continuity would increase the chances of surviving.

Sent from the future

The EUV was just introduced in Brazil months ago, which isn't something you do with a product that's stopping production months later. I don't know where they are building those destined for the Brazil market ... afaik Lake Orion was the sole Bolt assembly plant worldwide, but Brazil has high import tariffs. It's possible that they're moving production equipment at least partially to Brazil with the intent of continuing production there, in which case they could continue supplying North America with Brazil-built vehicles (although they would lose the tax incentive). It's possible that with the start-of-production delays for BT1XX that they'll just continue building Bolts at Lake Orion until BT1XX gets its headaches straightened out. I know that my customer which builds some critical under-body chassis components for Bolt, has that space in the plant allocated for something else later this year, which means something's gotta give. It's possible for this equipment to be shipped elsewhere and run there ...

Bottom line, I think GM is going to juggle things around to continue production of the current Bolt EUV, if not both body styles, until they come up with a second generation.

On another forum, it was pointed out that Honda and GM had both previously announced that they were going to collaborate to build a sub-Equinox EV, a.k.a. a replacement for Encore/Trax/Trailblazer/Bolt, which means they might already have something in the works, and perhaps the Bolt nameplate will continue as part of that ...

wtf bmw. I would love to see this design brief. "A modern interpretation of the Pontiac Aztek but we want to sell it for 250k.". I will admit that it looks ok from some other angles but woof. For 250, it shouldn't have an angle this bad.

363324680_6218450108277494_6919851838323164164_n.jpg

Happy to see the Bolt return (did it ever leave yet?), as that will most likely be my first full EV. It's the only one in my price range, and while I like the Model 3...Tesla's track record of customer service and support of their vehicles makes me shy away.

Just want those stupid 300km in -20C. Is that too much to ask for!?

Reactions: LBV

Back
Top Bottom