Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 399 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

It gives me a lot of faith that the Ontario economic development minister either doesn't understand finances or doesn't mind lying about them.

"“It's not that you're taking money out of the government's bank account,” Fedeli said. “It’s revenue that you're not charging the company for in their taxes. That's really the better way to look at it.”"

Paraphrased, Don't worry, we aren't paying for this plant, we are just not charging a multi-billion dollar company tax so that shortfall will be spread across the citizens as we sure as hell won't cut spending.

It gives me a lot of faith that the Ontario economic development minister either doesn't understand finances or doesn't mind lying about them.

"“It's not that you're taking money out of the government's bank account,” Fedeli said. “It’s revenue that you're not charging the company for in their taxes. That's really the better way to look at it.”"

Paraphrased, Don't worry, we aren't paying for this plant, we are just not charging a multi-billion dollar company tax so that shortfall will be spread across the citizens as we sure as hell won't cut spending.

I for one am happy to see mfg infrastructure return to ontario, even if we have to bleed to get there.

I for one am happy to see mfg infrastructure return to ontario, even if we have to bleed to get there.
If it survives beyond the huge tax subsidies I agree. We have many recent examples of local manufacturing ceasing to exist the second the government stopped footing almost the entire bill (wind turbines, solar panels, etc). The subsidy should be spread out over decades instead of loaded in the first few years with no ass-kicking on the back end when they walk away.

Agreed...but there should be penalties and repayments of the govt money if the subsidy ends on Day 100, and the corp closes the plant on Day 101...

We're no further ahead, and actually way further back due to all that lost money with no benefit except for a handful of jobs for X years.

Agreed...but there should be penalties and repayments of the govt money if the subsidy ends on Day 100, and the corp closes the plant on Day 101...

We're no further ahead, and actually way further back due to all that lost money with no benefit except for a handful of jobs for X years.
Agree. Clawback should extend at least double the subsidy period to give a chance of being a net benefit. i haven't heard of a government that exhibited such foresight and protection. If company was serious about remaining, that would be an easy clause to accept. If they don't want to sign that, it is clearly a loser as they will disappear on day 101 (or extort government again to continue the gravy train).

Last edited:
What a load of tripe.

Toronto's Pearson Airport will be home to Ontario's first public hydrogen refuelling station.

Carlsun will build, own and operate the station, which the two groups said is enabled by a $1 million investment from Natural Resources Canada.

“Through novel investments like this, we're building a sustainable refuelling network for people to use.” GG-wtf, there is no way for a hydrogen vehicle to drive between any two stations in eastern canada. This could serve a purpose for local use only but again, government would rather spout BS than promoting real world practical uses.

There are currently five retail hydrogen stations across the country, four of which are in British Columbia, and the fifth in Quebec

It's a clean-burning fuel, meaning it doesn't produce greenhouse gases or other pollutants. GG-they conveniently left out the vast quantities of power required to make the hydrogen (and the associated emmissions).

The intended customers for the station are a mix of everyday and commercial ground vehicles, as well as a “captive audience” of GTAA vehicles, said Todd Ernst, the GTAA's director of aviation infrastructure, energy and environment. GG - aw, here's the rub, feds will pay for 5 hydrogen cars to drive around the airport and use the $1M+ gas station. Fantastic. Do you know what is orders of magnitude cheaper and better in this application? Bleeping electric cars that are available now. Distances are short, speeds are low, you are always in the same area, this is the perfect application for BEV's.

I like to see the investment (I work for a supplier who's parts are needed for ICE and EVs)

My concern is that the basis for these battery plants is that we have the minerals right here in Ontario and plan to have them out of the ground by 2025. Problem is they are way north of anywhere that has any roads, infrastructure, or population. There will be indiginous issues to deal with. There will be environmentalists to deal with. With the current shortage of workers who will build this massive road? Who will populate and run this massive mining operation 500km north east of Thunder Bay? It's lucky if you can get a house built in 2 years in Ontario.

If it does happen, it could be a new summer motorcycle trip though?

On a brighter note, google the Daytona EV that Dodge is going to make in Windsor. When I heard "front spoiler" I was concerned but the thing looks great.
images

As per a report in the Toronto Sun .....
"Canada’s best-selling electric vehicle continues to be the Tesla Model 3. In 2021, the federal government actually reported 15,841 rebates for the Model 3. As for 2022, the math isn’t hard: the government of Canada spent $54.6 million to help people acquire Teslas".

As per a report in the Toronto Sun .....
"Canada’s best-selling electric vehicle continues to be the Tesla Model 3. In 2021, the federal government actually reported 15,841 rebates for the Model 3. As for 2022, the math isn’t hard: the government of Canada spent $54.6 million to help people acquire Teslas".
Remember when the Ontario gov't was giving away up to 14k for a NEW EV purchase? I remember...because I missed out on that program by a few months.

How much did THAT end up costing us? 14k for rich people to buy expensive cars...FML. I hope the program comes back so I can feel rich and get free money. 14k is more than the CERB I missed out on.

Remember when the Ontario gov't was giving away up to 14k for a NEW EV purchase? I remember...because I missed out on that program by a few months.

How much did THAT end up costing us? 14k for rich people to buy expensive cars...FML. I hope the program comes back so I can feel rich and get free money. 14k is more than the CERB I missed out on.
We bought our volt on that program made it less than a Chevy Cruze

Sent from the future

We bought our volt on that program made it less than a Chevy Cruze

Sent from the future
Same here when I got my 2014. There is a limit on the rebate now so the truly rich aren't getting any taxpayer handout.

Per the Govt' website:

"
  • a passenger car, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000; and
    • higher priced trims of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $65,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
or

• a station wagon, pickup truck (light truck), sport utility vehicle (SUV), minivan, van, or special purpose vehicle, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $60,000; and
    • higher priced trims of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $70,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives."

Same here when I got my 2014. There is a limit on the rebate now so the truly rich aren't getting any taxpayer handout.

Per the Govt' website:

"
  • a passenger car, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000; and
    • higher priced trims of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $65,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
or

• a station wagon, pickup truck (light truck), sport utility vehicle (SUV), minivan, van, or special purpose vehicle, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $60,000; and
    • higher priced trims of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $70,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives."
They changed that after embarrassing news reports came out with very expensive cars getting their owners rebates.

Back
Top Bottom