2024 Day Trips | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2024 Day Trips

Went out yesterday morning with the hopes that the long weekend crowd must have settled. People who are leaving the city must have already reached their destination and people who are staying in might not venture out as it's a Sun. My guesses these days are as good as the weather forecast lol. It was a great day to ride though.

Was hoping for a 5-6 hour ride that became an 8-9 hour ride. Again, no new routes, just one of the ones that I pulled from Shane's big map. Below is the route in case anyone would benefit.

View attachment 69601

For every ride, I try to squeeze in a road that I have not been to or can't remember having been to. This time it was Blairhampton. Wouldn't recommend. Lots of gravel, and loose asphalt particles on the road. Hwy 35 from Pine Springs to Dwight was a hoot to ride, a BMW 330i (E46 I believe) became the pace car. Kushog Lake Rd was in great shape, and very technical (and scary). Aspdin Rd was fun, finished the ride off with Southwood Rd.

The skyline park was busier than usual. I remember a couple of years ago, it used to be just me and maybe one more visitor, and I used to ride there very often.

View attachment 69602

Along the way.

View attachment 69603

View attachment 69605

View attachment 69604
Nice run. Ever since you let the cat out of the bag about skyline park. I go there all the time now. (y)

Did a bit of a run yesterday along HWY 17 from Pembroke to North Bay.

Morning started out rough with tons of fog and cold. But cleared up.
Headed towards Haliburton, via some back roads and eventually HWY 35 to take Deep Bay rd between Moore Falls and Minden, thanks @shanekingsley, good road I like that one.

Then onwards to Haliburton and skyline park, @voyageur.
01 skyline park.jpg

Still very green @bigpoppa
02 skyline park.jpg

Off to Maynooth via Elephant lake road. The road is in the best shape I've seen it, except the far north end is a bit bumpy but the rest is great and you can go pretty quick now.
03 elephant lake.jpg

Onto Combermere to take Old Barrys Bay Rd, stop to see the mounment again
04 polish monument.jpg

Then onward to Wilno, then Golden Lake, I was curious about Golden Lake, but felt I didn't have time to stop and look around. Push forward to Pembroke. Stopped at the water front but forgot to take a photo. I did stop midway along HWY 17 to North Bay.
06 hwy 17.jpg

HWY 17 isn't as interesting as HWY 60 through Algonquin.
Quick stop in Mattawa to see this guy
07  mattawa.jpg

Finally made it to North Bay
08 north bay.jpg

Then run down HWY 11 home.

Just wanted to add:
I know some country drivers have been getting some bad rap lately around here, but from what I saw from this ride, they are still way more patient then anyone around the GTA. I expected some douchery with a few situations yesterday, nothing happened to my surprise, never got tailgated, or cut off.

Earplugs with this helmet, wow what an improvement, highway riding is much better with the wind noise practically cut out.

Last edited:
Great ride.

What was timing like or kms count?

Debating b/w Dover or similar to @sburns route on Friday. I've got a tentative day off so will make the final call tomorrow later afternoon / early evening.

As always, it's fly by wire as I haven't gotten around to getting a solid GPS so I'll run with a phone for the GPS and just let it go as it comes.

Great ride.

What was timing like or kms count?
It took me the whole day, I'm not as quick as Shane, close to 1000 k's I still don't have my GPS hooked up to the bike to share a route, just winged it, but the route is fairly straightforward. I could have saved some time by not taking some back roads up to Halliburton, but with the morning fog I think it was better to do it.

It took me the whole day, I'm not as quick as Shane, close to 1000 k's I still don't have my GPS hooked up to the bike to share a route, just winged it, but the route is fairly straightforward. I could have saved some time by not taking some back roads up to Halliburton, but with the morning fog I think it was better to do it.
I did the same run a few weeks back and my timing was the same. Left home at 7am and returned home at 7pm. 1,000km round trip. Good pace but did stop for a fair amount of breaks as well as going north of NB to do the 533. Hwy 17 is imo rather boring and I thought with it being so close to the water there would be nice scenery but no.

Just did the map for my proposed ride...about 700km so it'll be an early start if it happens.

Just waiting for confirmation from work that all's cool and then will decide 100% by mid-day tomorrow.

@sburns that's how I remember that park to be from before... :) Thanks for sharing! I have never been all the way up to North Bay so far. Maybe one of these days, I'll aim for that.
Oh my photo is a bit misleading and lucky. When I parked there was a pickup behind me. I snapped the photo just before they got out. They left soon after, 1 other car showed up, I talked to them, while that was happening 2 other cars showed up. It was basically non stop until I left. 😞

Leaving Mississauga around 6:15-6:30am tomorrow and running toward Peterborough if someone would like to join.

Expecting 700km or so give or take.

So 401 -> 115/35 -> Peterborough -> toward Barry's Bay and some roads -> 60 through Algonquin -> 35 down through Dorset -> 118 WB -> home

Shooting to be home by 4pm so it may be tricky, but if I find I'm running late I'll cut something out.

Message me if you're interested.

793.5km…I’m pooped. It was a touch and go in the morning as I didn’t really feel like going solo…but I ended up going and it was fantastic riding! Absolutely fantastic!

Left at 6:30am from the gas station and got home about 4:05pm…loop rd, elephant lake rd, Dino rd, old Barry’s bay, highway 60, highway 35 and 118 before I bombed home.

Was already running late so I skipped Southwood Rd. Maybe another time.

Bike was fantastic. Didn’t skip a beat, took everything I threw at it. Solidly on point with perfect handling. The spring is still at the highest setting and I felt more comfortable after 800km than I did after 300.

1726260266412.jpeg

1726260282138.jpeg

1726260297558.jpeg

1726260310806.jpeg

Now let’s see how low those 407 cameras go. My tail bag obscures it and I didn’t want to deal with 401 traffic so late in the day.

5 fuel stops 🤦🏻‍♂️ stupid tiny tank.

793.5km…I’m pooped. It was a touch and go in the morning as I didn’t really feel like going solo…but I ended up going and it was fantastic riding! Absolutely fantastic!

Left at 6:30am from the gas station and got home about 4:05pm…loop rd, elephant lake rd, Dino rd, old Barry’s bay, highway 60, highway 35 and 118 before I bombed home.

Was already running late so I skipped Southwood Rd. Maybe another time.

Bike was fantastic. Didn’t skip a beat, took everything I threw at it. Solidly on point with perfect handling. The spring is still at the highest setting and I felt more comfortable after 800km than I did after 300.

View attachment 69724

View attachment 69725

View attachment 69726

View attachment 69727

Now let’s see how low those 407 cameras go. My tail bag obscures it and I didn’t want to deal with 401 traffic so late in the day.

5 fuel stops 🤦🏻‍♂️ stupid tiny tank.
Nice Ride!
See any leafs turning up north yet?
:)

Wow nice run @mimico_polak and pretty much on track for timing very impressed.
Scrambler getting some runs (y)
Is that first pic in Peterbourgh memorial park?
Thanks. No the pic is from a lookout point just past maynooth.

Nice Ride!
See any leafs turning up north yet?
:)
Yes it’s starting! A few red around but rest are just starting to turn.

Back
Top Bottom