Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition! | Page 31 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re staying within speed limits and safe riding practices the biggest risks are road ice and other winter drivers

Road ice is tricky, and hard to see. Just be aware of conditions where it may exist. Road ice needs 2 things: the road to be at 0C, and some moisture. When the air temp is advertised at 5 on your thermometer, the temp at the ground could be 0 or less. Rain, fog, saturated ground, slush or recent snow can provide the moisture.

0-5c. Early mornings till a couple of hours after sunrise on breezy and/or overcast mornings.

Dark sides of buildings or land features - any surface shaded from sunlight it way more likely to have black ice.

Painted areas on roads can also be very slippery and icier than the black asphalt.

Over and under bridges.

To reduce your chances of encountering ice, it’s less likely when roads are completely dry, sunny days, and during full daylight hours.

As for tires… not much you can do to warm them up, at low temps they’ll lose heat as fast as you heat them up. Safe riding has more benefits.

One final thing to remember when winter riding - awareness of motorcycles among car drivers drops significantly in the winter. Drivers don’t see as well with salt covered glass, forget how fast motorcycles accelerate, and not all drivers are skilled in wet and icy conditions.

Increase your spacing to the driver ahead of you, keep to speed limits, polish your spidey senses, and be aware of icing conditions and you can ride Toronto in the winter.

Thanks for the confident booster.

One last question before I stop asking winter stuff. Tires- are normal tires not suitable for riding below -5c? I understand they need some rolling to get heated before I accelerate too fast, but in practice, are they suitable to be driven at -10c? I’m riding with one point lower than the recommended pressure currently due to some internet tips claiming that’ll help increase the contact area.

Be mindful of WHAT you're riding on. Rough textured surfaces like asphalt with create more friction and grip than, say, one of those long metal manhole covers they put down during construction... Smooth steel + cold + wet = potential recipe for a bad time.

But if you're just beating around in the city, where the roads are typically always clear and heavily salted, should be just fine.

Just keep in mind, I'm never leaning, braking, accelerating (or doing anything else that could cause a sudden change in traction) anywhere near as much in the winter as in the rest of the year.

If I normally ride at around an 8 out of 10 level (10 being my skill limit), in the winter I'm riding at anywhere from 6 to 8 out of 10. This isn't for pushing limits for me, this is about getting where I need to be, enjoying the freedom of riding, and keeping sharp so I'm not rusty in the spring.

The ground isn't even frozen yet. Still too warm. I don't thin TO will get snow until mid to end of January. Lake is probably still warm.

Saw a rider heading south on Bayview extension after 7:30 pm
The lake is never really truly warm except middle of summer.
It's been below 10C in the lake for a while now. (i have a group of crazies who do dips all winter long so i get updates on the water temps lol)

You need snowmobile gear at -5.

My ride home this evening was testing. Did not enjoy the ride. I think without any heated gear -5 (feeling like -9) is my physical limit.
Neck gaiter makes a magic difference as temps drop. Add a thin balaclava as they keep dropping. Make sure to stop drafts (cuffs tight, gauntlet gloves over coat, etc).

I'll try the neck gaiter. My major issue is with my palms and fingers. I have a few bent out-of-shape fingers and finding gloves that are easy to put on don't come around easily. Gauntlet gloves are out of the question for me. 😬 I make do with whatever gloves I can use. I'll keep researching 🙂

I'll try the neck gaiter. My major issue is with my palms and fingers. I have a few bent out-of-shape fingers and finding gloves that are easy to put on don't come around easily. Gauntlet gloves are out of the question for me. 😬 I make do with whatever gloves I can use. I'll keep researching 🙂
Try bike gauntlets.

When I rode in the winter I used a heated liner and gloves. If that is out of the question, some type of hippo hands will help a lot. I use something similar for cycling in the winter.

When I rode in the winter I used a heated liner and gloves. If that is out of the question, some type of hippo hands will help a lot. I use something similar for cycling in the winter.

Oh. I checked this. They don't fit well on my Tmax. In 2009, when they designed the handlebar for this model, someone MUST have been smoking weird- absolutely no handlebar accessories fit for the stock handle.

Edit: Interesting. The link shows someone using the muffs on a Tmax. I might try them again.
ks603-hand-protectors.jpg

Oh. I checked this. They don't fit well on my Tmax. In 2009, when they designed the handlebar for this model, someone MUST have been smoking weird- absolutely no handlebar accessories fit for the stock handle.

Edit: Interesting. The link shows someone using the muffs on a Tmax. I might try them again.
ks603-hand-protectors.jpg
Good catch!

Monday and Wednesday not looking TOO terrible

I don't see any mention of these. They are very effective.
View attachment 65090
Never thought to use these. I’ve used them in my mitts and boots on long walks but would never have thought to put in gloves. How would they keep the fingers warm with motorcycle gloves?

Never thought to use these. I’ve used them in my mitts and boots on long walks but would never have thought to put in gloves. How would they keep the fingers warm with motorcycle gloves?
I use oversize gloves with them. No barkbusters, no heated grips. They heat my hands from the back.imho they are better than heated gloves.

I’ve been riding bikes and sleds in the winter since the 70s- never needed or wanted heated gear.

3 years ago my new car came with a heated steering wheel, 2 years ago my Polaris ATV and sled came with heated grips. I love them, and while I still don’t think they are mandatory gear, they sure increase comfort. So much so I added aftermarket grips to my bikes.

I hear I missed some riding weather while we were away - wife and I were on a cruise a few weeks ago, and then I got back and promptly whisked off the next day for 5 days in vegas with another family member - my wife had to work unfortunately.

Spent some time in the desert in vegas, bumped into a few riders out there, most of them were all bundled up in cold weather gear despite it being what I'd consider freakin' almost perfect riding temperatures for the desert, hovering around 18-20 degrees. Certainly more palatable then what those same roads are like in 6 months, I'm sure. It's all in how you're aclimatized I guess, but it was shorts and T-Shirts weather all week for me. Did the hoover dam, the Sphere, a few other things. Wish I'd had a few more days, I'd have probably rented a bike and rode to the grand canyon proper vs the "west rim" nonsense which really isn't the Grand Canyon. With a few more days past that I'd have rode out to Long Beach and checked off another bucket list item, a night aboard the Queen Mary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom