We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 160 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

2000yds ? I don’t hunt anymore , but would anybody risk a 2000yd shot at anything ? Im not sure I could see a target that far out , I guess unless I’m using that scope .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Because they can? Based on specs for every other rangefinder I have seen, I hight doubt 2000 yard range. Normally they report max range using a reflector and real range is half or less.

Given how many people miss at 40 yards, being downrange of a 2000 yard shot would be disconcerting but probably not a lot more dangerous than walking across a major road.

Because they can? Based on specs for every other rangefinder I have seen, I hight doubt 2000 yard range. Normally they report max range using a reflector and real range is half or less.

Given how many people miss at 40 yards, being downrange of a 2000 yard shot would be disconcerting but probably not a lot more dangerous than walking across a major road.

I’m not sure most run of the mill hunting rifles have the elevation necessary to cant the scope down enough (pointing the barrel up) for shots at extreme ranges. You have to modify the rails a bit (a lot). The super sniper shots you see reported are sometimes using weird periscope/prism type things to see beyond the barrel.

The Ukrainians (and probably Russians) are using tech that automatically adjusts everything for wind speed/temperature etc. Fascinating stuff but out of my pocket change range.

Ok, Thinking about Target Shooting...
Where does one even start to get the appropriate paperwork/license(s)
Or is it not even worth the hassle?

Last edited:
Take a firearm safety course. Buy a safe to store guns. You want guns for target shooting. You do not want guns for home protection.
That's what I said...;)

@GreyGhost has it , couple other things , check your local bylaws , maybe you can target shoot in your back acreage . Small caliber (.22) is fun and very affordable. And you can build tons of crazy targets ( blacksmithing and welding skills lol) and invite us over ….
Gun clubs are a great way to meet helpful folks ( and some nut cases ) and learn stuff , but it’s not free .

@GreyGhost has it , couple other things , check your local bylaws , maybe you can target shoot in your back acreage . Small caliber (.22) is fun and very affordable. And you can build tons of crazy targets ( blacksmithing and welding skills lol) and invite us over ….
Gun clubs are a great way to meet helpful folks ( and some nut cases ) and learn stuff , but it’s not free .

What is this word Free?
Yea, I am not 100% sure as I've never really had any issues in guns, but have some property does raise some interesting idea's.
It's on my list, but towards the bottom for now..

You can actually go through the rigamarole of setting up your own RCMP accredited home range but that’s a lot of hassle. The advantage of that would be restricted use. Otherwise you just basically need a backstop and lots of land far from city limits.

You can actually go through the rigamarole of setting up your own RCMP accredited home range but that’s a lot of hassle. The advantage of that would be restricted use. Otherwise you just basically need a backstop and lots of land far from city limits.
Thats going to be really really tough in a small patch of land without really expensive construction to contain bullets.

Most use a backhoe to make a berm.
If you want a 50 yd range, you are looking at at least 20' tall berm which means at least 40' thick at the base. Alternatively (or in addition) you can build a bullet screen above the range to trap lobbed rounds. Add in side berms and you have used up half your lot. Then a neighbour a km away complains, you violated the noise bylaw and you are shut down. The physical construction is the easy part, the permits, land use and by-laws are the danger. Practically, you probably want >40 acres before you consider building a "range". If you are just plinking targets with a 22, you can probably get away with much less construction but you still have issues with a backstop on a small parcel of land.

Post #3187 , check bylaws . Not sure if OP is in north Halton or Eramosa ? Halton has had no discharge for targets for over 40yrs unless on a permitted range .

What is this word Free?
Yea, I am not 100% sure as I've never really had any issues in guns, but have some property does raise some interesting idea's.
It's on my list, but towards the bottom for now..
The gun firearms safety course (do the 3-day restricted weekend course) will answer pretty much all of these questions. Sign up online to one. Once the course is completed and you submit your paperwork for a license it can take months to a year for it to arrive so better to start the process sooner than later even if it's just something you're considering.

The gun firearms safety course (do the 3-day restricted weekend course) will answer pretty much all of these questions. Sign up online to one. Once the course is completed and you submit your paperwork for a license it can take months to a year for it to arrive so better to start the process sooner than later even if it's just something you're considering.
Thanks, good tips

Post #3187 , check bylaws . Not sure if OP is in north Halton or Eramosa ? Halton has had no discharge for targets for over 40yrs unless on a permitted range .

I believe he is in Erin which does not have a bylaw. Eramosa has a no firearm discharge by law

Sent from the future

Back
Top Bottom