The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 406 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

@mimico_polak I'm tired of finding bikes for you. Can you just please buy one.

This is a good one

View attachment 69437

That's a reasonable deal.

I'd ditch the following:
  • AirStream WindShield - had one, they bobble more than our Finance Minister.
  • BarkBuster Hand Guards - 2 broken hands/wrists if you ever go over the bars. OE guards are excellent.
  • BMW Mirrors - WHAT? Those big square OE mirrors on a V are the best ever.

That's a reasonable deal.

I'd ditch the following:
  • AirStream WindShield - had one, they bobble more than our Finance Minister.
  • BarkBuster Hand Guards - 2 broken hands/wrists if you ever go over the bars. OE guards are excellent.
  • BMW Mirrors - WHAT? Those big square OE mirrors on a V are the best ever.
I like my Givi . But it's the Air flow model. I believe it's the same.

Last edited:
Kawasaki design department really took to the task of making a motorcycle nobody would want to steal when they created that generation of Versys.

Imagine taking it out for a ride with a Multistrada 620, and any BMW GS? A parade of the fuglies.

I can supply the GS.
I don’t know… that Kawi has a certain charm for me. I think it would grow on me. Especially at $2K.

The Multistrada of that vintage on the other hand - don’t think I could ever come around to it.

I don’t know… that Kawi has a certain charm for me. I think it would grow on me. Especially at $2K.

The Multistrada of that vintage on the other hand - don’t think I could ever come around to it.

But even if you like fugly, which I get, cause like I said, I'm a GS owner. It's still just so-so.

For $1k more you can get this versys with half the miles and ohlins suspension

But even if you like fugly, which I get, cause like I said, I'm a GS owner. It's still just so-so.

And just a quick hop to North Bay for it!

I like the look of that gen of Versys…not sure why but I dig it.

BarkBuster Hand Guards - 2 broken hands/wrists if you ever go over the bars. OE guards are excellent.

Mandatory in Supermoto. 3/4 of the Enduro/XC/recreational woods riders run them. You hear about a handful of broken wrists a year, max.

Maybe with some cosmetic surgery, but then it wouldn't be much of a tourer any more:

naked-ducati-mulstistrada-1000ds-inspiration.jpg

naked-ducati-multistrada-1000ds-inspiration-2.jpg

Firstly, I don’t get your disdain for the GSes. I love them. But then a lot of people don’t like the 14 Multistrada, and I bought one and think it’s gorgeous.

For people shopping in the 2-3K price range, Ohlins may not be the deciding factor. That $1000 - a full 50% more - just might be. Especially when the more expensive bike needs a new rear tire. And for a well maintained Japanese bike I wouldn’t be concerned with the mileage on either bike.

I think you're only looking at 1/3rd the picture. People who are on tight budgets (or just cheap af, like me) aren't just worried about the buying cost, we're worried about upkeep costs, how much we can actually buy the bikes for, and how much we'll lose on resale.

Upkeep costs on a bike with 60k km vs 22k km? Hmm...

How much we can actually get the bike for? 60k km Versys is in Toronto, a big market, lots of potential buyers, really low price point, so probably not much wiggle room. But that 22k km Versys is in North Bay, a tiny market, higher pricepoint, very few potential buyers, probably a lot more wiggle room on price. I'd bet you could get it for $2,500.

Resale value? Say you put 10k to 15k km on either motorcycle before you want to move on. One Versys will have 70-75k km, the other would have only 32-37k km. The lower mileage should easily sell for $1,000+ more than the higher one.

So in the end, paying an extra $1,000 (or maybe just an extra $500) doesn't just pay for itself, it pays you. You also get a better, newer, motorcycle, that comes with 1/3rd the mileage, and full 3 piece hard luggage. It's a no brainer to me.

Last edited:
lol, fair point. If we're going down that rabbit hole, there's also the BMW so fugly, even James Bond couldn't make it cool.

au018-bmw-r1200c-bl.jpg

The 1200C... I think the C stood for Charmless.

How much we can actually get the bike for? 60k km Versys is in Toronto, a big market, lots of potential buyers, really low price point, so probably not much wiggle room. But that 22k km Versys is in North Bay, a tiny market, higher pricepoint, very few potential buyers, probably a lot more wiggle room on price. I'd bet you could get it for $2,500.

Resale value? Say you put 10k to 15k km on either motorcycle before you want to move on. One Versys will have 70-75k km, the other would have only 32-37k km. The lower mileage should easily sell for $1,000+ more than the higher one.

So in the end, paying an extra $1,000 (or maybe just an extra $500) doesn't just pay for itself, it pays you. You also get a better, newer, motorcycle, that comes with 1/3rd the mileage, and full 3 piece hard luggage. It's a no brainer to me.
I’d say you’re assuming you can buy the North Bay bike for $2500. That much isn’t known. If you’re going to make that argument, then you should also factor in the time and expense it’s going to take the GTA rider to get to North Bay and have to trailer it back since it’s not safetied. . And then the risk of going to North Bay and finding the bike isn’t what it seemed in the pictures or was sold and returning empty handed.

And if two bikes of the same mod and vintage are X$ apart in price today, they will be less than X$ apart tomorrow because their values will converge, all things after purchase being equal. That should be true regardless of what accessories are on it, and what the mileages are, except for maybe edge cases like collectible bikes.

Your point about the luggage being of value is a good one, I didn’t recall whether the other bike had luggage (it didn’t). OTOH the Toronto seller was offering the possibility of selling with a safety, whereas the North Bay bike needs a new tire (at least) to pass safety. I know from selling my last bike that has a big effect on how many people will be interested.

Anyways, it’s all moot. The Toronto bike is sold.

I thought this was reasonably priced till I saw the mileage

Back
Top Bottom