The city life is tough | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The city life is tough

Mountains > 1 day deliver.

Exactly. And realistically, how often do you shop online and have to wait on stuff to be delivered?

Oh waitaminnit...

Everysinglegodamday in my case... 😭

All the delivery truck guys know me by name.

But also.. every day is like Christmas, because I'm always getting stuff I don't even remember ordering because it was so long ago!

As much as I’d love not having to ride 1.5 hours in traffic to escape the city, having to get in my car to drive to grab milk, other groceries, grab a pint or have an amazing meal would be much more of a nuisance for me. Not to mention the commute to work….people may be working from home now, but that’s going to end. No WAY I could commute in/out of the city. No thanks.
It does nothing good for your commute but if you live in a village outside of the GTA, you can often be within walking distance to some groceries and watering hole/restaurant. You're not going to have a lot of choices so you hope you like the one or two you have. On the upside, it really helps build community as you see the same people repeatedly and most live in the area. You are free from traffic at the end of your driveway. Good roads are hit and miss. Trails for a dirtbike are closer than most good roads for most people.

Last edited:
Gentrification happens quite quickly, even out in the sticks.

Remember that Punjabi place I took you to? A new Dosa place opened up just around the corner. It's pretty good.

Obviously we don't have the variety and selection of the big city, but it's slowly getting better.

Biggest issue for me these days is how slow deliveries take when online shopping. Evo orders a helmet yesterday and it's being delivered today. An order like that would take minimum 10 days to get to my front door.

An annoyance, for sure. But very small IMO compared to what I'm getting in return.
That was a good place! I could eat there once a week for sure.

And the gentrification is absolutely hitting the smaller towns at a really quick rate lately. It's pretty cool to pass by some super small town and see an ethnic food spot calling.

On the upside, it really helps build community as you see the same people repeatedly and most live in the area. Y

This was the biggest culture shock for me, moving to a smaller town - seeing the same people over and over again.

Also, it reminds me of back in the pioneer days where everyone had a defined role in the village, and that's what they were known as. There's Joe The blacksmith, Bill The baker, Sarah The seamstress... Emphasis on "The"...

I see my students all the time, Paula lives in the same neighbourhood and I see her at the grocery store all the time. Becky works the counter at the bakery I go to. And they all know me as GeneTheMotorcycleInstructor (all one word).

It's a weird feeling being primarily defined by the role/function you provide to the village you live in. You feel a lot more like a critical cog in the machine.

In Toronto, I'd teach a student and reasonably be assured that I'd never ever see them again, unless I run into them at L&L on a Thursday night.

This was the biggest culture shock for me, moving to a smaller town - seeing the same people over and over again.

Also, it reminds me of back in the pioneer days where everyone had a defined role in the village, and that's what they were known as. There's Joe The blacksmith, Bill The baker, Sarah The seamstress... Emphasis on "The"...

I see my students all the time, Paula lives in the same neighbourhood and I see her at the grocery store all the time. Becky works the counter at the bakery I go to. And they all know me as GeneTheMotorcycleInstructor (all one word).

It's a weird feeling being primarily defined by the role/function you provide to the village you live in.

In Toronto, I'd teach a student and reasonably be assured that I'd never ever see them again, unless I run into them at L&L on a Thursday night.
My wife works in healthcare and always tries to work a little away from home. She doesn't need nor want to know too many health details about the neighbours. It just gets awkward.

My wife works in healthcare and always tries to work a little away from home. She doesn't need nor want to know too many health details about the neighbours. It just gets awkward.

And that's the downside. The gossip is rampant in a small town where everybody knows everybody else.

If I'm gonna talk about someone (a student, or someone else I know) in a public place, I *ALWAYS* have to look around to make sure they're not sitting in the booth behind me.

So NOT used to that.

That is why people in the country don't put strange things in their rectum.

da3b51767717c8b5d02a468a1c698d1d.jpg

That was a good place! I could eat there once a week for sure.

And the gentrification is absolutely hitting the smaller towns at a really quick rate lately. It's pretty cool to pass by some super small town and see an ethnic food spot calling.
Sadly the Guyanese restaurant that opened here a few years ago didn't survive covid. They introduced us to roti and the best rice&beans ever. Deeply missed.

Our old house was 1000 sq ft. That wasn't ideal as kids play area was also the living room/walkway so we were in a constant state of chaos. I loved that house for two adults and would not have moved. New house is far bigger than we want or need. Once you get past the hurdle of getting on the real estate ladder, stupid principal residence cap gain exemption strongly encourages living in something that exceeds your needs. I know a lot of couples living in 5000 sq ft + houses. Most only use a small portion regularly and the rest just sits empty.
My daughter's 90 year old house is on a 600 SF footprint, two story. Allowing for walls, stairs and halls she is well under 1000 SF usable space. The previous owner raised five kids there. So why do we need so much space today?

We have more toys and, agree with it or not, kids don't play in the street like they used to. If you don't keep them active they rot, one way or another.

Everyone has their own computer / cell phone and study plan. Mom works and drives her own car.

Capital gains on a big house is more than a small one.

We own more stuff and need places to store it.

In some ways the good old days and ways were great but turning the clock back doesn't work.

That is why people in the country don't put strange things in their rectum.
Many, many, many stories about people going to ER for ‘stuck’ objects…I’m sure @GreyGhost has heard a few if his wife’s done a shift in emerge.

My daughter's 90 year old house is on a 600 SF footprint, two story. Allowing for walls, stairs and halls she is well under 1000 SF usable space. The previous owner raised five kids there. So why do we need so much space today?

We have more toys and, agree with it or not, kids don't play in the street like they used to. If you don't keep them active they rot, one way or another.

Everyone has their own computer / cell phone and study plan. Mom works and drives her own car.

Capital gains on a big house is more than a small one.

We own more stuff and need places to store it.

In some ways the good old days and ways were great but turning the clock back doesn't work.
That house was 22x24 outside of brick. Wife wanted each kid to have their own bedroom so my office got pushed to a corner of the basement. I would have put both kids in one room.

That house was on a collector road and kids were little so front yard playing didn't happen.

We definitely have issues with too much stuff. I am not happy if I want to fix something and don't have what I need to do it. Kids get so much crap. They could get a tenth of the crap and still have too much.

Last edited:
That house was 22x24 outside of brick. Wife wanted each kid to have their own bedroom so my office got pushed to a corner of the basement. I would have put both kids in one room.

That house was on a collector road and kids were little so front yard playing didn't happen.

We definitely have issues with too much stuff. I am not happy if I want to fix something and don't have what I need to do it. Kids get so much crap. They could get a tenth of the crap and still have too much.

Awkward point. When travelling out west I typically stay with relatives and feel I should reciprocate when they visit here.

Then I calculate the cost of running the extra space when it only gets used a couple of weeks a years (Zip with Covid). I could put them up at a hotel cheaper but then do they feel awkward about me paying their bill? Family guilt trip history.

when my wife was interning at St Mikes ( very long ago ) in Toronto they had a file of shame in ER of xrays they kept to giggle at . GI Joe, dinky cars , unusal shaped vegetables.

@nobby, let your C&C48 guy know a set of sails from a big name like North would be about $60K. for base material. 25-30K would get you offshore junk. As long as he never left the great lakes they might last 3-5yrs.
Care and feeding on a 48 is going to be 10K at least, if nothing breaks or needs replaced. That landfill 48 is 35?yr old minimum , it will need new everything.

@nobby, let your C&C48 guy know a set of sails from a big name like North would be about $60K. for base material. 25-30K would get you offshore junk. As long as he never left the great lakes they might last 3-5yrs.
Care and feeding on a 48 is going to be 10K at least, if nothing breaks or needs replaced. That landfill 48 is 35?yr old minimum , it will need new everything.

Someone who knew from wretched personal experience told me a "good deal" or "steal" old boat is like a hole in the water...... you just pour money into it and it never fills up.

Back
Top Bottom