The city life is tough | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The city life is tough

Wait until you want to go for a ride up north on saturday and it takes two hours to get out of town...
emoji15.png
I used to leave early afternoon Friday but not everyone can do that.
Leaving at 2pm I could get to Coudersport in 4 ish hours dependign on the border but then was leaving from the west end. 407 helped, Audio books helped to reduce the frustration factor.

Even if it costs an extra overnight it's worth it to be able to get up early and go riding on excellent roads for the whole day.
I actually hated coming home especially from the east ....damn sun on the 401 going west was just brutal.

Never minded getting late to the border from the south as low deer risk on the QEW, tho s of Buffalo coming up 16....different story ...

That’s 10am for me…going slowly!

Not a morning person, also not a commute type person. Been there done that. When I came to Canada I had two opportunities…Kingston or Toronto both with pretty good research groups. I chose Kingston based on quality of life, no commute, reasonable house prices. Never regretted it.

Sometimes I miss city life but then I’ll just go and have a City break…..in Montreal since Toronto isn’t all that interesting for me.

Pros and cons to living in rural areas as opposed to the city. Depends on where you are in your life as well. When I was younger, I loved what the 416 offered: everything open at all hours of the day and week, amazing cuisine, entertainment and cultural events. That, and realistically, that's where the good paying jobs are.

These days, I care less about that and more about being able to go hit some awesome roads and trails minutes from my front door, as opposed to having to slab two hours to get to my Moto Entertainment. And then two hours on the slab to crawl back into my bed.

It may change later on as well. I'll take it as it comes.

You're in a good spot. Some awesome roads up in the Ottawa valley. I'd take that over the Big Sh!tty any day.

Pros and cons to living in rural areas as opposed to the city. Depends on where you are in your life as well. When I was younger, I loved what the 416 offered: everything open at all hours of the day and week, amazing cuisine, entertainment and cultural events. That, and realistically, that's where the good paying jobs are.

These days, I care less about that and more about being able to go hit some awesome roads and trails minutes from my front door, as opposed to having to slab two hours to get to my Moto Entertainment. And then two hours on the slab to crawl back into my bed.

It may change later on as well. I'll take it as it comes.

You're in a good spot. Some awesome roads up in the Ottawa valley. I'd take that over the Big Sh!tty any day.

Cities are great when you’re young! I lived in Paris, France for years and Manchester in the UK for a long time. I miss both those places in different ways but I really appreciate what I have now. One apartment in Paris seemed to have been passed through a miniaturization device but 24h bars and amazing public transport rendered that inconsequential.

You'd need to pay me some incredible money to move from my place (north of Kingston) to Toronto. 1/2 hour commute on country roads, then along the lake for a bit. I literally can shoot deer from my back deck (I don't, but I do shoot them from the property across the road). Retiring this year, and if I go to Kingston more than once a week after that I'd be surprised. When I was younger, it was a different story, and the career opportunities are definitely worse here than in bigger centres.

One apartment in Paris seemed to have been passed through a miniaturization device
Haha, yes. People here like to make fun of Toronto's shoebox condos but my 850sq ft 2br is properly palatial compared to the place my brother was renting in St-Germain-des-Prés while he was working there. From memory it was 28 square meters (300 sq ft) and the rent was 1400 Euros... that was 20 years ago.

I couldn't fully sit down on the toilet because leg room was insufficient, and you could shower and cook something on the stove at the same time if you wanted. Good times.

Haha, yes. People here like to make fun of Toronto's shoebox condos but my 850sq ft 2br is properly palatial compared to the place my brother was renting in St-Germain-des-Prés while he was working there. From memory it was 28 square meters (300 sq ft) and the rent was 1400 Euros... that was 20 years ago.

I couldn't fully sit down on the toilet because leg room was insufficient, and you could shower and cook something on the stove at the same time if you wanted. Good times.
He had a stove. That's baller status. Some of the smaller condos now have become closer to a hotel room. Hot plate, no oven, bar fridge with small freezer. They figure the place is so small that you won't be cooking for many people so you don't need to dedicate so much space to food.

Friends used to live in an old TO apartment where the "kitchen." was behind a bi-fold door. About 3' of counter (with a small sink cutout) and a tiny fridge. It is interesting to see what people do with space as the available area shrinks.

If we really thought about it, at lot of us (hell no not me) do not need 2500sq ft for average living.
Our old house was 1000 sq ft. That wasn't ideal as kids play area was also the living room/walkway so we were in a constant state of chaos. I loved that house for two adults and would not have moved. New house is far bigger than we want or need. Once you get past the hurdle of getting on the real estate ladder, stupid principal residence cap gain exemption strongly encourages living in something that exceeds your needs. I know a lot of couples living in 5000 sq ft + houses. Most only use a small portion regularly and the rest just sits empty.

haha, yeah, a lot of the old European cities are tight on space. No space to expand. We rented a place in downtown London once and the bathroom door kept hitting the edge of the bed when you opened it.

I like how the Japanese do it. They have a general purpose Tatami room (lined with bamboo mats) and they use it as a living and dining room during the day. In the evenings, they roll out their futons (a Japanese word) and slept for the night. Then in the morning, they roll their bed up, store it away and use the same room for lounging and eating. So efficient.

When you think about it, it's quite a waste of space to have a dedicated room where you only spend 8 hours of the day in, and you're unconscious for most of that time anyway.

It's not even a space issue. We traveled mainly through rural Japan where there was plenty of land available to build and expand, but the Tatami room was still a fixture in almost all the places we stayed at.

haha, yeah, a lot of the old European cities are tight on space. No space to expand. We rented a place in downtown London once and the bathroom door kept hitting the edge of the bed when you opened it.

I like how the Japanese do it. They have a general purpose Tatami room (lined with bamboo mats) and they use it as a living and dining room during the day. In the evenings, they roll out their futons (a Japanese word) and slept for the night. Then in the morning, they roll their bed up, store it away and use the same room for lounging and eating. So efficient.

When you think about it, it's quite a waste of space to have a dedicated room where you only spend 8 hours of the day in, and you're unconscious for most of that time anyway.

It's not even a space issue. We traveled mainly through rural Japan where there was plenty of land available to build and expand, but the Tatami room was still a fixture in almost all the places we stayed at.
Guest bedrooms are even worse. An entire area dedicated to ~8 hours of occupancy a month. I like the concept of combining low-use spaces. Guest bedroom/listening room can work well if proportions allow. A place the kids are never allowed to play. Guest bedroom/office is another combination with minimal overlap for most people. If I was doing it again, guest bedroom would probably have a murphy bed to allow more flexibility.

I like having bedrooms for those that live in the house. You don't need to take the time to convert back and forth every day, you can close the door if it's messy, etc. I am more aligned with the concept of public and private spaces within a dwelling. They are used, decorated and maintained in distinctly different manners. That being said, I'm not too picky and the "private" spaces in our house are normally visited by guests (especially because kids go everywhere).

If we really thought about it, at lot of us (hell no not me) do not need 2500sq ft for average living.

I agree with this. We have 2500 sq ft and it's more than we need as a couple.

I sometimes wish we could repurpose/reclaim some of that unused room as garage space.

This guy has the right idea:

Ducati%20Panigale%20in%20Livingroom.jpg

I agree with this. We have 2500 sq ft and it's more than we need as a couple.

I sometimes wish we could repurpose/reclaim some of that unused room as garage space.

This guy has the right idea:

Ducati%20Panigale%20in%20Livingroom.jpg
Brian P has the best hybrid house design I have seen. Easy to get vehicles between the garage and indoor workshop (and that is apparently why he chose that house). I'm not sure how insurance would feel if you stored motor vehicles inside the building envelope. If I was planning on keeping vehicles in my house, I would probably build a fire rated partition around that space (or sprinklers).

Guest bedrooms are even worse. An entire area dedicated to ~8 hours of occupancy a month. I like the concept of combining low-use spaces. Guest bedroom/listening room can work well if proportions allow. A place the kids are never allowed to play. Guest bedroom/office is another combination with minimal overlap for most people. If I was doing it again, guest bedroom would probably have a murphy bed to allow more flexibility.

I like having bedrooms for those that live in the house. You don't need to take the time to convert back and forth every day, you can close the door if it's messy, etc. I am more aligned with the concept of public and private spaces within a dwelling. They are used, decorated and maintained in distinctly different manners. That being said, I'm not too picky and the "private" spaces in our house are normally visited by guests (especially because kids go everywhere).

Last month I went down a rabbit hole of researching camper vans.

Now *that* is an extreme exercise in optimization and efficient use of space. Even the living area doubles as a shower by hanging a curtain from the ceiling all around yourself and grabbing the spout from the kitchen faucet which extended out with a hose and using that as a shower head. :oops:

Then you either stand in a kids inflatable wading pool or large bucket to collect your grey water, or have a drain hole in the centre of the living room.

E3C2D668-7771-4483-9C7B-6ADBCC3FB097_1024x1024.JPG

We've done our share of roughing it, but I don't think I could live like that for an extended period of time. Not sure how the #vanlifers do it.

Brian P has the best hybrid house design I have seen. Easy to get vehicles between the garage and indoor workshop (and that is apparently why he chose that house). I'm not sure how insurance would feel if you stored motor vehicles inside the building envelope. If I was planning on keeping vehicles in my house, I would probably build a fire rated partition around that space (or sprinklers).

A lot of newer houses have a suspended slab design for the garage which allows you to use the space below as some kind of rec room or workshop.

I always thought it would be cool to have a double-story garage with a lift off to the side to get your bikes up and down.

And also a firepole to get yourself from the top to the bottom, of course! :love::ROFLMAO:

Last month I went down a rabbit hole of researching camper vans.

Now *that* is an extreme exercise in optimization and efficient use of space. Even the living area doubles as a shower by hanging a curtain from the ceiling all around yourself and grabbing the spout from the kitchen faucet which extended out with a hose and using that as a shower head. :oops:

Then you either stand in a kids inflatable wading pool or large bucket to collect your grey water, or have a drain hole in the centre of the living room.

E3C2D668-7771-4483-9C7B-6ADBCC3FB097_1024x1024.JPG

We've done our share of roughing it, but I don't think I could live like that for an extended period of time. Not sure how the #vanlifers do it.
Why shower inside? Seems like a complicated solution. I get it if you are a girl and alone or if it is minus a whole bunch but most of the time, an outdoor shower seems simpler (you need the wand, curtain and flip flops. Curtain could be your awning setup differently.

Why shower inside? Seems like a complicated solution. I get it if you are a girl and alone or if it is minus a whole bunch but most of the time, an outdoor shower seems simpler (you need the wand, curtain and flip flops. Curtain could be your awning setup differently.

I've done the outdoor shower thing while camping.

No matter what the temps are during the day, when the sun goes down, it gets F-n cold standing outside with the wind whipping around your nads. We always had to time our showers well before sunset to avoid hypothermia.

Back
Top Bottom