The city life is tough | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The city life is tough

I've done the outdoor shower thing while camping.

No matter what the temps are during the day, when the sun goes down, it gets F-n cold standing outside with the wind whipping around your nads. We always had to time our showers well before sunset to avoid hypothermia.
Clearly you’ve forgotten your Serengeti experience. Always best to have someone else dumping hot water on you. 😎

Clearly you’ve forgotten your Serengeti experience. Always best to have someone else dumping hot water on you. 😎
Bleeping lions. That's the closest I have ever been to one while unprotected. Having an outdoor shower and opened the curtain to find footprints within 10'. That could have been a definite downside to an outdoor shower.

Bleeping lions. That's the closest I have ever been to one while unprotected. Having an outdoor shower and opened the curtain to find footprints within 10'. That could have been a definite downside to an outdoor shower.
We slept in the park for part of our tour. Heard the hyena chattering all night and those water Buffalo are loud AF. Woke up to footprints right outside our tent.

Took this photo that morning, blew it up and hung it on the wall.

Was surprised to find out water Buffalo are ‘king of the jungle’.

We were camping in a nature reserve in Malawi, one of the few where there weren't any predators so no fear of being eaten during the middle of the night.

They did warn us of elephants though, so high danger of being accidentally (or purposely) trampled.

Anyway, in the middle of one night, we heard some loud stomping and rustling outside our tent. Definitely an elephant.

Both of us had to go pee, but didn't want to venture outside for fear of being stepped on in the dark.

We waited for quite some time for the noise to disappear and once we were sure the elephant had left, we stepped out of our tent.

It was pitch black so we had to use our camping lamps to light the way to the primitive washrooms on the campsite. Ladies need the facilities, y'know?

One the way there, we passed by this one tree and I shone my light at the roots.

It looked like the tree had toenails at the bottom where the roots were supposed to be.

It wasn't a tree. It was the leg of an elephant, and it was sleeping.

OMFG.

Peed right then and there on the spot.

We slept in the park for part of our tour. Heard the hyena chattering all night and those water Buffalo are loud AF. Woke up to footprints right outside our tent.

Took this photo that morning, blew it up and hung it on the wall.

Was surprised to find out water Buffalo are ‘king of the jungle’.

Nice.

But also... F-n ballers in this thread!

Here's our other encounter with wildlife:

kasane-XL.jpg

The shower was very needed as our driver managed to get stuck in the mud. Took us almost an hr to flag down another land cruiser to drag us out.

Haha, nice.

The safaris were definitely a highlight of the trip, but my wife is also an avid birder. We took a makoro (canoe) ride down one of the flooded plains after rainy season in Botswana:

DSC_9803-X2.jpg

Nice thing about the canoe is it's so silent, you can sneak up on the birds to watch up close. Got some amazing close-ups:

DSC_9851-XL.jpg

We realized that the game Angry Birds with all the different colours are all African birds. You never see colours like this in North America.

Here's our other encounter with wildlife:

kasane-XL.jpg

Is this in Halton Hills? I think I've been down that road last season.

We have a guy down the road at the cottage who wanted a killer garage and had no room on his lot for one. He purchased an irregular slice of property that was non lakefront that had been for sale for years with no takers. He then planned a 60' x 40' garage / shop building with 14' ceilings. Then finds out that the land was not zoned for garage only buildings, so back to the drawing board. His draftsman added a full 2nd story to the 2,400 sq. ft. garage, included a septic system as well to get it approved. So now he has a 2,400 "guest house" bungalow over a full 2,400 heated garage space about 5 minutes from his cottage. Great space. Needless to say, this guy has money to burn, so why not indulge himself, he spends a third of his time there puttering around on various projects.

Is this in Halton Hills? I think I've been down that road last season.

LOL! Yep, those are two of the regulars from the local Walmart in town. Or at least they're the same size...

We have a guy down the road at the cottage who wanted a killer garage and had no room on his lot for one. He purchased an irregular slice of property that was non lakefront that had been for sale for years with no takers. He then planned a 60' x 40' garage / shop building with 14' ceilings. Then finds out that the land was not zoned for garage only buildings, so back to the drawing board. His draftsman added a full 2nd story to the 2,400 sq. ft. garage, included a septic system as well to get it approved. So now he has a 2,400 "guest house" bungalow over a full 2,400 heated garage space about 5 minutes from his cottage. Great space. Needless to say, this guy has money to burn, so why not indulge himself.

I'd just move into the 2400 sq ft "bungalow" so I could be closer to all my toys.

Just dreaming of all the things I could fill all that space with... 😍

Outdoor showers were what first convinced me that being part of the European Union as a Brit was a very good thing. It was my first camping trip to mainland Europe as a college student….and it was being woken up by two noisy Dutch girls having an outdoor shower that convinced me. Also…there didn’t appear to be a shower curtain.

Outdoor showers were what first convinced me that being part of the European Union as a Brit was a very good thing. It was my first camping trip to mainland Europe as a college student….and it was being woken up by two noisy Dutch girls having an outdoor shower that convinced me. Also…there didn’t appear to be a shower curtain.

I married a tall blonde Dutch girl.

Pros and cons to living in rural areas as opposed to the city. Depends on where you are in your life as well. When I was younger, I loved what the 416 offered: everything open at all hours of the day and week, amazing cuisine, entertainment and cultural events. That, and realistically, that's where the good paying jobs are.

These days, I care less about that and more about being able to go hit some awesome roads and trails minutes from my front door, as opposed to having to slab two hours to get to my Moto Entertainment. And then two hours on the slab to crawl back into my bed.

It may change later on as well. I'll take it as it comes.

You're in a good spot. Some awesome roads up in the Ottawa valley. I'd take that over the Big Sh!tty any day.
I’ve found the same thing. Running into Toronto was fun when I was younger, socializing, DVP runs at midnight, food, bars.
Now I pretty much hate going anywhere there’s a stoplight.

im surprised no one here thinks moving to timmins and working in a mine or logging (a la mad mike style) is a brilliant career move :unsure:

Last edited:
As much as I’d love not having to ride 1.5 hours in traffic to escape the city, having to get in my car to drive to grab milk, other groceries, grab a pint or have an amazing meal would be much more of a nuisance for me. Not to mention the commute to work….people may be working from home now, but that’s going to end. No WAY I could commute in/out of the city. No thanks.

Going into the city is something I still love even after having lived downtown for 20 years. Don't want to live there any more, but I'd go nuts if I couldn't get my regular roti/momo/New York Subway fix in. And I can't work remotely for much longer either, so back in I go every day, but at off peak hours.

As much as I love nature and spending time out in nature, I love the city life! Maybe when I retire in 15 years I'll feel differently.

Going into the city is something I still love even after having lived downtown for 20 years. Don't want to live there any more, but I'd go nuts if I couldn't get my regular roti/momo/New York Subway fix in.

Gentrification happens quite quickly, even out in the sticks.

Remember that Punjabi place I took you to? A new Dosa place opened up just around the corner. It's pretty good.

Obviously we don't have the variety and selection of the big city, but it's slowly getting better.

Biggest issue for me these days is how slow deliveries take when online shopping. Evo orders a helmet yesterday and it's being delivered today. An order like that would take minimum 10 days to get to my front door.

An annoyance, for sure. But very small IMO compared to what I'm getting in return.

Gentrification happens quite quickly, even out in the sticks.

Remember that Punjabi place I took you to? A new Dosa place opened up just around the corner. It's pretty good.

Obviously we don't have the variety and selection of the big city, but it's slowly getting better.

Biggest issue for me these days is how slow deliveries take when online shopping. Evo orders a helmet yesterday and it's being delivered today. An order like that would take minimum 10 days to get to my front door.

An annoyance, for sure. But very small IMO compared to what I'm getting in return.
Mountains > 1 day deliver.

Back
Top Bottom