Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 81 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Not the worst place to live...Pacific ocean sure moderates the extremes.
Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at Aug, 27    2024    5.08.44 AM.jpg
Riding buddy is back in town after an extended vaca to GB.
Now the weather is more consistent I can at least get him the lunch I owe him.
Doctors appointment today ...juste a follow up on an osteo test.
Nice on deck at 5 am 21 feels like 22 ....no rain forecast.

Day did not go as planned - headed to doctors for 10 appointment and realized no wallet. :(
While I carry a bit of money in my riding jacket it would not be enough for a days riding and lunch plus always the expensive risk of getting pulled over.
In addition it was really blustery wind with gust to 25-30kph so bailed on the day, came home and napped ...was needed.
Tomorrow looking fine but still blowy.

Gonna try for Cape Trib early tomorrow. Have not crossed the Daintree since the cyclone
1724749178414.png
ouch

Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at Aug, 27    2024    6.53.53 PM.jpg
Weather looks okay especially going up with the wind. Might be a slog home. Likely take earplugs as wind noise will be high. Might wear the C3.

Last edited:
Not the worst place to live...Pacific ocean sure moderates the extremes.
View attachment 69496
Riding buddy is back in town after an extended vaca to GB.
Now the weather is more consistent I can at least get him the lunch I owe him.
Doctors appointment today ...juste a follow up on an osteo test.
Nice on deck at 5 am 21 feels like 22 ....no rain forecast.
Brings back memories when I lived in southern California. No furnace or AC in our house (fireplace in the living room) daytime temps of 17C in the winter and 27C in the summer, cool nights, rarely below 13C. Rainy season Dec to Feb with a monthly average rainfall of 2mm.

Weather interfered with riding once or twice a year.

Not quite that good here as far more rain...it is the wet tropics after all.
People up higher on the Tablelands have fireplaces. We rug up ( since my electric blanket died ) but it's very rare to single digits and even low teens.

Good start to the day with Wordle in 4 and Wordiply in 2! :D
Normally a fast run 2 hours to Cape Trib including ferry, lunch and then a struggle against the wind getting home in 3 especially with steady headwinds off the ocean nearing 30kph.
Decent temps tho for the Scott Jacket and it is Gortex in case the "late shower" comes earlier. 22 to 27C so no issue temp wise.
Do wish I had gauntlets of some sort ....left them all in Canada. Most riding with short offroad gloves allows good cooling up the jacket sleeves. Think I have to opt for the C3 helmet given the wind
Not sure what to expect.
It was the wettest tropical cyclone in Australian history and an unprecedented number of landslides occurred. Cedar Bay photo by WTMA.
Cyclone Jasper made landfall on December 13, 2023 near Wujal Wujal, 30km north of Cape Tribulation in Far North Queensland.

It is estimated that in some locations, 3-4 metres of rain fell in 5 days.
Fast ride to Cape Trib. Lots of damaged spots but mostly cleared up now...a few construction stoplights.
Here at 11 am which is good timing for the homeward run. Relax till 12 with toasted salmon bagel then wander home a bit at a time.

60 klicks from home .....wind is blustery but not annoying and helmet is quiet so audio book easy to hear. Taking short break so ease sore ass and slightly sore back.

Got a nap and feel good now despite little sleep last night.
Learned something from a decade ago when I first got the KLR and crossed the Daintree.
Had not yet seen a cassowary but I remember calling partner and asking about these two small striped birds running around in the bush.
Had sort of written it off as not likely then saw this logo
1724838801091.png and realized yeah that's what I saw...tho papa was not around that I could see. Dad takes care of the hatched chicks while mom goes romancing for the next brood. :rolleyes:
I've seen and photoed youngish cassowaries but none in the early striped phase so I was correct in being excited.

Last edited:
1724915112830.png
not exactly colour coordinated. Fit is good tho a bit harder to breathe through my nose. Will see tomorrow on a ride with buddy. He said he did not like goggles tho his buddies ride with them. They have the correct helmets....he has a C3. 🍿
I'll skip the quick connect until I've ridden with them.

Did not ride today for no good reason but came across this shot which I quite like. Shows the range climbing quickly from the flatland along the ocean...almost has an African feel to it. Early morning.
1725180760426.png

Likely going out today ....trying to reach Chillagoe again but not fixed yet.
Still a decent ride and wind not high today 🍿

6.45 am last decent day before some rain sets in. Not enough sleep thanks to bingeing the first two LOTR movies but fell asleep quickly and feel okay.
Have some overdue bloodwork to do early and then I hope a decent ride tho.
At least 100km+ 🍿. Fasting bloodwork so will be hungry when we get back.
Not sure if we are shopping as well

Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at Sep, 6    2024    12.13.35 PM.jpg
Windy and chillycoming up the Gillies to Barrine Teahouse - tiny shower…nice ride tho - will come down the gillies too.
They actually have free wifi now 😃 240 down !!!!
Bit of shinkflation on the scones...we used to get two scones not get one but quite nicely loaded and jam was delicious $8.50 not too bad tho a smaller feed. Ozempic approves :rolleyes:
Gained a kilo over the last while...really need to cut down on the pasta feeds.🍝

Really glad I brought the Scott jacket from Canada...it's Gortex and IS waterproof if I do it up properly.
Always good memories of my kid as we wore matching jackets for a couple of years going to both coasts. The Jackets worked very well for us. Now if Kenz had not forgotten his rain pants and had opted for waterproof gloves would have improved things on the shaky coast. 12 C pouring. Boots, pants and hands were soaked and 100 km of nothing. He was sooooo glad to find a little store we could huddle around the stove for 1/2 hour and munch hot dogs..Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at Sep, 6    2024    12.34.11 PM.jpg
Nearly 10 years ago now and still fresh in my mind as I see the photos all the time come up.
East coast trip not quite as successful but still good...he learned a lesson about cheaping out on a chain....cost me $450 to get that sorted....possible that included a rear tire but was just glad we could get it done somewhere along Lake Champlain.

Glad I got out today ...looking very wet tomorrow. Sunday looks okay tho. I really enjoyed the ride today cept for a stupid tailgater on the downhill Gillies grr.
120 km out and back and not sore at all 1725613316748.png Going to return the goggles.

Last edited:
Lavi and Ollie showing you can adventure on a 125cc bike, camping out all.
Maybe unique to the UK but fun to watch. Lavi doing okay for very new rider and her bike putting up wit lots of abuse.
That was fun to watch.

Marc on the last day in Nepal having some fun in the twists,

I on the other hand stayed up way to late bingeing on 4k UHD Avatar double feature :sleep:

Last edited:
Decent sleep last night so got out early for a ride up to port. We have weeks of gusty but sunny weather coming...30-45 kph makes for interesting riding along the coast. The CB300 is only 150kg so gets bucked around a bit.
One mad bloke was out kite surfing.
Got a nice shot of a young osprey on the nest looking out for a feed.
1726126546528.png
outer limits for the 45/175 ( 350 equiv ) lens from across the highway. Maybe will take the big 100/400 ( 800 eqv ) with me.
Wonder if Hasties Swamp has any wildlife now spring is approaching.
More than 220 bird species have been recorded here, mostly from the aquatic and woodland environments. The best time for birdwatching is during 'the dry' (April to October) as the swamp dries out and the area becomes an important refuge for waterbirds. Up to 1500 magpie geese may be seen at one time.

From the comfort of the two-storey bird hide, you can enjoy uninterrupted views across the swamp. Signs provide species identification and background information about the wetland.
Since we really haven't gotten a "dry" this year....guess I will just have to ride there.
Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at Sep, 12    2024    5.34.33 PM.jpg

Thought there were two but one might have been settled out of the wind. Can hardly top the shots I took a few years ago of that nesting pair and chicks being fed but was worried with the cyclone and their spot so exposed. I guess they could have rebuilt as the nest was looking overgrown last year.
Got my $4.95 breakfast feed from Jacks with a small latte...benefit of getting out early.
Was concerned as was not on the flyer but she rang the deal in anyways.
Bacon and egg and cheese on a toasted turkish roll plus a very tasty hashbrown.
Given my light apetite it's a full meal carrying me through to Bowl's Club tonight.
HJ00664_Turkish_Bacon_Egg_WEB_800x600px_1.png
Hash Brown

Hash Brown
Still sitting at 110 kg despite pasta binges.:rolleyes:
Big benefit from Ozempic is no headaches if I don't eat on time. That use to be a real stress point with partner when travelling as she has no issues missing meals. One of our friends and her sister are real exemplars for "hangry".:eek: if a few minutes late to eat. I wasn't that bad but at the same time happy to be shy of the issue.
110 km round trip. Fueled up now so maybe a longer ride tomorrow.
I'd love to tackle a Palmer River run but coming back against that wind does not appeal . Very hard to hear the audiobook. It's also 430 km round trip....:unsure:

Last edited:
17c at 6 am. Might stay in warm bed a bit longer.:sleep:
Otherwise weather looks decent cept for the wind.🍿
Nice here in the sun watching
don't know how he does it.

Lavi and Ollie fiind the limits of their 125cc VanVans.

Was going to head out but it's only 14 in Atherton....will wait an hour.
or til tomorrow :rolleyes: dodgy digestion so bingeing Long Way Round as compensation.
Interesting I find them driving on the right in the US is disconcerting.
Never again for me.

Last edited:
Ah wet and I'm a bit under the weather - doc appointment tomorrow to go over my blood tests.

Virtual riding - a more traditional ride with 8 guys and a support truck. Even a CB500x in the mix
and two mad men ( bloody good riders ) doing 6,000 km off pavement in 10 days. :eek:
complete with a wild camel hogging the track.
Impressed with the 700 Tenere WR. I wonder if Noraly will choose that as her next bike.
204 kg vs 153 for her 300. :unsure:
A KLM390 weighs the same as her Honda while the 690 ...a significant step up is just a bit heavier but tall 36" vs 34.8 on the Honda and even that she is a bit tippy toe.
The 390 certainly lower at 31.5 ...we shall see. 🍿
I don't think she tents anymore so that might be a factor in her choice.
She is not sticking with the 300 Honda so....

Back
Top Bottom