Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 83 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Teeth are settled down. That was NOT pleasant.
Got an tentative ride with Eamonn next week. He says the road to Chillago has only 3km of smooth dirt now. Think I can handle if washboard not horrid. Last time I got out there was on the KLR and did the caves in my big offroad boots....a few hundred steps and my shins were sore the next day.
Screen Shot 2024-10-11 at Oct, 11    2024    3.52.09 PM.jpg
He's riding this now ...big jump up from his modified Honda CB500x.

Breakthrough on the pillion bag.
Strapped the Nelson Rigg on and slid it back a bit and can just get my boot to clear. I'll get better at it and like the look
Thaqt raggedy AirHawk could use a new cover.
that's all strapped in, anchors the laptop bag and by moving it back I can just clear it.
imgres.png

1728706255216.png

There is no need to take it off and it just might do without a tank bag. Will dig out the longer strap for the camera tho it does fit in my riding shirt pocket anyways.
So I will skip the pricey GIVI tank bag solution and just use the tail bag with the laptop case under it. Flexibility exercises coming up.
Impressed with the quality of the straps on the Nelson Rigg. ther reflector tape on the back useful too.
I can live with that look . Will square up a bit when laptop and other gear inside. I pulled the straps pretty tight and it distorts the bag a bit. I think it is not waterproof but resistant and comes with a cover.
1728706688369.png
1728706081902.png

Oh joy
they are still fixing the roads from the last one. 🤪
Snip
Our simmering oceans could also lead to the most active cyclone season in years, with the BOM expecting around 11 named storms in the Australian region, including an increased risk of severe (category three or above) systems.

Last edited:
Lovely day - easy ride up the Gillies on the new bike. No traffic and no wind....and no codeine. Excellent scones
Not a hint of sciatica even with the longer ride today and part of that is I can lift off the seat a bit ...have not tried standing ...suspect geometry not conducive to that tho better than the CB300.
Just being able to lift off for a moment helps.
Will wait on any changes until I sort the tank bag...that shortie windscreen appeals a bit,
I think I only need two of the powerful magnets ..just need to sort the adhesive.
This was the recommended brand
1728897823408.png

Last edited:
Itchy Boots refining her classic ride.
Uncluttered dash.-like her choice of luggage too. That Mosko stuff √√√Screen Shot 2024-10-14 at Oct, 14    2024    6.47.33 PM.jpg
Will be much nicer than her previous filming set up for the front as the nav stuff got in the way. This is much more low profile and feels like riders PoV without obstruction.

Last edited:
Proof of living in the tropics - our front garden.

First trip up the Gillies on the Yamaha ....was stunning day and very little wind.
Took it easy on the bike as I was still a bit under the weather from the tooth/codeine treatment and lack of sleep ( self inflicted )
Bike was lively and very easy to pass. No sciatic issues despite saddletime
Up the Gillies to Lake Barrine....wonderful day - very moderate temps.

there used to be a platypus living along the verge there but have not seen in years.
I noticed tho there was a platypus viewing area in Yungaburra so will check out.
Screen Shot 2024-10-15 at Oct, 15    2024    10.01.35 AM.jpg
Trip felt longer - construction I guess. Lucky not a hot day.

Last edited:
Gorgeous day . Off for a ride early.
short ride - forgot my wallet and glasses - did score a better brekkie tho - i had 5 dollars, they were out of bread for their toastie deal so got the turkish roll, bacon and egg for 5 including a small latte :biggrin:
will head home and call it a day - pretty hot n muggy.
tank bag with two cans of pepsi in it stayed solid and seems out of the wind, phone holder blocks some

Screen Shot 2024-10-17 at Oct, 17    2024    10.19.00 AM.jpgstraps too tight for the laptop...still some adjustment to do. Added the bungie back to the tail bag

Last edited:
Clearly my Canadian Bday showed up in Aus. Got a Whopper Jr with a latte for $2.50 on Shake n Win. (y)
Decent little protein fix and needed the caffeine hit....sluggish this am.
1729315401049.png
On and off okay this morning and the tank bag is working well.
Good ride today ....fetched my repaired laptop, got the polish for the forks of the ebike and the anticarbon cleaner....there happened to be an autoparts store where I parked.
Also grabbed a cheapie multitool as the Yamaha came without.
Have traded a less sore ass for a bit of a sore back....I'm hoping that will ease off and not need a riser which looks expensive to do on this model.
Not a bad bday ride. (y)
With the return of the repaired laptop my workspace is intact again instead of plugging and unplugging several times a day.
1729320351339.png

Last edited:
Yum - Sunday roast at Julatten ...

Busy - clearly have been discovered. Lot's more arriving....including lots on motorcycles I was hungry today ...very light brekkie.

Last edited:
Baching it overnight as partner away dog sitting. Getting opportunity to sort through some of the motorcycle gear I brought last year.
Since it is getting warm thought I would try the Thor armoured shirts the kid and I had. He of course looked much better in his but at least with my 44 lb drop thanks to Ozempic the fit is better than a while back in Canada :rolleyes:
It is also much cooler than any of my jackets.
1729487673545.png
Have a Fox riding shirt to wear over it as wll tho sort of prefer just the shirt.
Bit of vinegar on the zippers to get rid of the mould and they are fine. Might be able to sell the second one.
Damn - expensive gear now. did not bring the kidney belt with me....I don't think it fit either my belly or the kids at the time. ;)
Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at Oct, 21    2024    3.20.02 PM.jpg

Reconfigured the storage again on the new bike..put the pillion seat back on and strapped the laptop sleeve further back just with a pair of bungees. Quite secure and stuck a 3L waterproof bicycle bag on top....see if I can clear that now I've sort the problem with the tank bag getting in the way.

Last edited:
Some funny commentary on Noraly from this site - Google translate suggestedScreen Shot 2024-10-22 at Oct, 22    2024    8.55.16 AM.jpg
Have to get ass in gear here as warm humid day coming and I'm still sleepy at 9 am. :rolleyes:
Off to try the revised set up to get on the bike with a little bit of grace.;)

Back
Top Bottom