Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 67 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Gonna be windy ...
Category 2
  • Destructive winds. Minor house damage. Significant damage to signs, trees and caravans. Heavy damage to some crops. Risk of power failure. Small craft may break moorings.
  • Maximum mean wind speed 89–117 km/h.
  • Typical strongest gust 125–164 km/h.
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at Dec, 11    2023    12.22.23 PM.jpg
and very wet
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at Dec, 11    2023    12.20.57 PM.jpg
Will be a relief...it was 35 on the deck at 10 am today !!

Packing up stuff from the deck now we know close enough to to where and when.

Meanwhile - an RE 40k km review
and the gear he took

Noraly tackling the iffy corrupt economy of Nigeria.
crazy girl...

My son died of this this fall.....maybe down the line there will be a cure. Good read.

•••••
Meanwhile waiting on a cyclone to land.... 29 at 11 pm and muggy as hell. 🥵
Not getting stuff done I had hoped to when it got cooler.
https___prod.static9.net.png

Last edited:
My son died of this this fall.....maybe down the line there will be a cure. Good read.

•••••
Meanwhile waiting on a cyclone to land.... 29 at 11 pm and muggy as hell. 🥵
Not getting stuff done I had hoped to when it got cooler.
View attachment 64795
Immunotherapy shows a lot of potential. Still growing pains in its application here. Course of treatment is five to six figures and has a positive effect most of the time. Unfortunately, in many cases, it is buying weeks or months. Not a magic bullet that gets patients years. At some point, I highly suspect that cost/benefit will limit applications to patients where plausible life extension is longer than x. That is on the public dime, for private payments, go nuts. Some people here are already paying for their own meds when they aren't covered.

Last edited:
1702346209184.png
Silly bugger is loitering offshore and drifting north projected coming ashore 170 km north of us. (y)

....nice and cool at 26 and rain showers. Prepping has turned up a few bits and bobs that had been missing after returning from Canada

1702426594033.png
Pretty much a miss for us...nice breeze, a few gusts and a few rain bands for us....even the dog got a walk.
Stayed up for a TV series and at 1 am was nothing really....woke up to some blowy rain and the girls chit chatting on the deck.

Constant rain and some nice moaning sound effects from the wind.
A few areas lost power. Most places closed
peak for us.rain and wind..
just a side swiped tho it is pissing down and blowing

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at Dec, 13    2023    5.39.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at Dec, 13 2023 5.39.03 PM.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Getting old ....3+ MORE days of rain and we already had 1/2 meter
Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at Dec, 15    2023    1.59.29 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at Dec, 15    2023    1.59.42 PM.jpg
can't really put the place back together til it stops
this is now - heavy rain in the red

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at Dec, 15    2023    2.02.05 PM.jpg

laptop and I got unexpected brief bath as an errant gust snuck in...so far no issue with it.
dog was not amused and we had to lift the couch to safer quarters. 48 more hours of this.
Article Image

‘Disappointing, unacceptable, disturbing’: Looters target during cyclone​

At least eight businesses in Trinity Beach have been targeted by looters on the night category 2 Cyclone Jasper crossed the Queensland coast.

5 am on the 16th and rain is finally tapering down a bit.

Think a chunk of tree is leaning on the outer eaves at the back. Not enough light to see yet. Would explain a large thump we heard during one of the intermittent deluges.

Last edited:
Rain starting fade a bit finally, tho still a fair amount .....got a very lukewarm shower ( courtesty of no sun for the solar water heater.)
36 hours of steady rain forecast tho. BillCat-1.jpg sigh

This is just getting tiresome - buckets to catch all the drips - luckily windspeeds are low
1702736188698.png
woke up to a Major Flood Warning for Cairns 🤪- emergency alert on the phone. Won't affect us but.......damn 450 mm in 24 hours.

Last edited:
Fortunately we are away from the water coming down from the Tablelands so it is "only" local rain 380 mm since 9 am.

Cairns is isolated highway wise and even the airport now closed. The greater region has recieved 1.5 meters of rain :eek:
2fdc5f9d5321448dab33fd24a8bda0a9

Last edited:
Fortunately we are away from the water coming down from the Tablelands so it is "only" local rain 380 mm since 9 am.

Cairns is isolated highway wise and even the airport now closed. The greater region has recieved 1.5 meters of rain :eek:
2fdc5f9d5321448dab33fd24a8bda0a9

i'll take the snow.

wait, what snow?

Well 1" of rain equals approx 12" of snow
.....1.5 meters of rain .....that's approx 60" of rain...x 12
near on 60 feet of snow.....careful what you wish for. :eek: ☃️

BTW the Daintree Rain Forest was never glaciated...one of only two rain forest regions to have survived intact for millions of years. The critters sort of harken back......come visit one.

Cassowary I photographed at Etty Bay.

Last edited:
Well 1" of rain equals approx 12" of snow
.....1.5 meters of rain .....that's approx 60" of rain...x 12
near on 60 feet of snow.....careful what you wish for. :eek: ☃️
i've been wishing for snow for a month; so far, no joy.

Feeling picked on but it has momentarily stopped raining in Cairns - some smalll relief and the dog can out for a pee.
Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at Dec, 18    2023    4.12.14 AM.jpg
Northern beaches still getting dumped on....busted all the records and still supposed to rain until tomorrow.

Noraly happy to be getting out of Nigeria. Insanity with all those road blocks tho the exit area much nicer and gorgeous.
🍿

Back
Top Bottom