Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 66 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Had a good physio at 8.30 am but was already hot and muggy and the city stinks tonight....must be an inversion.
Ugh still 29 on the deck at 7 pm - was bingeing Harry Potter in 4k UHD but THAT will have to wait. Reading in the cool room is in order. :coffee:
1701423503460.png

Damn my local walk Bowls Club now has all day dining AND free wifi. $16 for a roast and gravy, apple sauce with mashed and veg all in is a deal and good exercise for my leg.
Price is always all in in Aus and there is no tipping.
Crumbed-Steak.jpg
Seafood-Basket.jpg

It is our normal Thursday night meet up for friends but partner is enjoying some R&R in Sydney to see Brian Cox ( the scientist ) as part of her 70th BDay present so I'm giving myself a treat. She is also staying at the W :oops: fortunately not paying full fare....dottor rates.
It's too hot to ride so saving money from thos outings and I am hungry. This will do as the main meal today. Yum

Might have to hobble a little faster to get home dry
Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at Dec, 2    2023    1.20.14 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Noraly back in Africa ..Nigeria :eek: and the two noobs racing across eastern Russia with long days in the saddle. 🍿

Not even a thought of riding except to physio ;(
33 on the deck at 9.30 am and fan on high.

It's cyclone time again. :rolleyes:

Cyclone Jasper forms off Queensland coast as an early arrival for summer​

Tropical Cyclone Jasper is near the Solomons and tracking south

Still a long ways away but it takes time to prep the house.

Riding to physio today but rainy and a social lunch means nothing distance. Tomorrow looks like a maybe.

Last edited:
Couch potato exerciser

Just fits under my desk...I used one at th recovery clinic....can read or watch media and get some exercise.
Maybe a mcycle ride tomorrow.

Cyclone planning proceeding slowly....ANY mention of a possible Cat 5 is disturbing. Should be an interesting discussion around the Thursday night Bowls Club meet-up.
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at Dec, 7    2023    4.10.37 AM.jpg

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Jasper at 10:00 pm AEST:​

Intensity: category 3, sustained winds near the centre of 140 kilometres per hour with wind gusts to 195 kilometres per hour.
Location: within 55 kilometres of 11.5 degrees South, 157.2 degrees East , 380 kilometres southwest of Honiara and 1370 kilometres east northeast of Cairns .
Movement: south at 8 kilometres per hour .

Tropical Cyclone Jasper is at category 3 intensity and is expected strengthen further, while tracking south-southwest into the Coral Sea overnight. Jasper is forecast to reach high end category 4 intensity later Thursday and possibly category 5 on Thursday night. Over the weekend, Jasper is likely to weaken but will remain as a tropical cyclone next week.

Jasper is forecast to gradually move to in a general southwesterly track towards the Queensland coast early next week. At this stage the highest risk of a cyclone impact is the region north of Mackay but the timing and severity of the coastal impact remains highly uncertain at this stage.
Cyclone Yazi was near the size of the continental US so even a miss has risks
While it missed us by 150 km I still recall how scared partner was over the phone when Yazi blew out the weather station off shore on Willis Island that was hardened to Cat 5.....so no one knew where the damn thing would come ashore.
Then the phones and power went....tense night. :eek:

Pace of preparation increased but it's still a ways out tho that right turn is dismaying. 🍿
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at Dec, 7    2023    11.23.36 AM.jpg
Glad I did not spend much time redoing the cabling on my setup in the corner...that will totally be dismantled
1701912714051.png

Last edited:
Nother pair looping Australia - paired Himalyans and a long trek to Uluru. Neat campsites underground at Coober Pedy. Most homes are underground as the temps get off the chart.

I'd like a Himalayan for around here but not in the cards.

Girl is a P plate rider...... ambitious.

Having two bikes makes packing a lot easier.

Last edited:
Catching the national news....the house is okay up to Cat 4 .....not so much after that.

Forecast to stay enough south of us but ....

Projection showing where Cyclone Jasper may impact Australia.

Last edited:
Catching the national news....the house is okay up to Cat 4 .....not so much after that.
How's your insurance? When my parents had a place in Florida they were always hoping to get wiped out. Insurance payout was roughly quadruple fair market value (and half of replacement value). If they got wiped out, they would move on. Some neighbours got hit. They never got damaged.

Good luck MD. Hopefully this is worrying but relatively painless.

Thanks - we are fully insured and it would have to be a direct hit with a cat 5 to take out the house. All houses by have to be built or upgraded to survive a Cat4. Will know more as the bugger creeps closer. Don't have a feel for the size of the storm yet. Yazi was stupid big.
Overlaid on the US.
1701934315723.png
It was still a Cat 1 1,000 km inland

This is feeling threatening now
1701934436873.png
Will accept a Cat 2 head on.
However, the bureau also predicts the system to weaken back to a category 2 by the time it begins to make landfall around Cairns some time next week.

Cat 5 are rare anywhere let alone any that come ashore. Yazi was exceptional for its size and damage done.

This thing could peter out or swerve away or grow into a monster but it certainly looks we will get some effects.
Cyclone tracker: When, where monster storm likely to impact as winds hit 260km/h
Tropical Cyclone Jasper is now a Category 4 storm with wind gusts of 260km/h and authorities say it could still intensify and reach Category 5 by time it impacts Queensland.
ec1e69a0598dad0ae1ba65dc6c2b39f7

It is barely moving now.
1084.jpg

Defined eye but still not overly large and it is still 1,200 km away - that's like from GTA to North Carolina but it seems to be funnelling to us.
It's unusual to see a Dec cyclone on an El Nino year.

Last edited:

Bureau of Meteorology staff on remote Coral Sea island to be evacuated as Tropical Cyclone Jasper threatens direct hit

Bureau of Meteorology staff on an idyllic, and very remote, island are to be evacuated amid fears it could see a direct hit from Cyclone Jasper.
Benedict BrookBenedict Brook
@BenedictBrook
2 min read
December 8, 2023 - 3:44AM
[URL 1702028857722.png
Pretty good Cat4

Last edited:
Swell on the gold coast will be amazing for a week or so, surfers are gonna cream their pants.

Yeah - especially if it loiters which it is doing. Should be some good surfing photos showing up. Still a coin toss for where and when landfall....if ever.
Lot depends on the highs to the south where they are having a serious heat wave.....joys of Australian weather.

Yeah - especially if it loiters which it is doing. Should be some good surfing photos showing up. Still a coin toss for where and when landfall....if ever.
Lot depends on the highs to the south where they are having a serious heat wave.....joys of Australian weather.
What do you do with the bike during a storm? Iirc it lives outside. Tie it to a fence? Lay it down gently so it doesn't fall over? Thankfully I haven't had to deal with 200 km/h winds on a parked bike.

What do you do with the bike during a storm? Iirc it lives outside. Tie it to a fence? Lay it down gently so it doesn't fall over? Thankfully I haven't had to deal with 200 km/h winds on a parked bike.
Good excuse to park it in the living room without getting too much heat from significant other. Then just keep parking it there, just incase another cyclone suddenly sweeps through

Hehe - luckily have not had to deal with a strong storm ...last threat I parked the ST1100 beside the house in a sheltered area....have a pic somewhere of it peeking out....that was a brute to back into the space.
The CB300F is a lightweight by comparison.
Partner thinks we put it up against the front of the house then bring the CRV in tight to it.
With a low Queenslander there is little difference parking in the compound or on the extended house deck.....compound likely safer.
If it picks up the CRV we would be well departed to a shelter by then.
There is still some talk of a Cat 5 but apparently there is a batch of dry air that will suck some power out. 🍿

Gorgeous clear night with a sliver of a crescent moon and 23 temps. Could not be a nicer night with pretty much zero wind.

1702084868705.png
🍿
Council is offering sandbags now ...also a King tide is expected on Tuesday forward ...oh joy.:rolleyes:
We have some very low lying new suburbs that in our view should never have been allowed. Regardless of what happens there will be a lot of rain next week and will test their fancy dan pump system.

Joys of Australian weather

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom