Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 241 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

$2.99 for no ads on Prime ...resisted for a while.
Glad I did purchase tho….found a noisy ad in the middle of a good movie unacceptable. grrrr

Decided so see how good LOTR in 4k UHD HDR is ….
spectacular even tho I have the 4k DVDs the feed on Prime is very good.
The HDR in particular just perfect …damn 20 year old movie and still blows me away
Watching the shorter version whcih I thin is actually okay.

Finished Fellowship and really enjoyed it …have the Sennheisers on and the Samsung is doing a good job with the HDR/UHD
I wish all of the transfers were so good.

My only issue is my seating is 3.5m away or near field at 1.5m and needs to be something in between.
It certainly is still very spectacular - the HDR even makes the dark sceens vivid without any wash out.
Not sure I’m up for 3 more hours tonight but given the sleep I’ve had maybe…
🍿

Nice to see the places we visited in New Zealand. What a spectacular country.

Last edited:
Was a bit annoyed when the screen got fuzzy in fast action sequences. Going to check against the br 4K copy. Was noticeable in the helms deep battle and the dam bursting the Ents engineered. Felt like bandwidth throttling

Finished the LOTR cycle with the Return of the King in theatrical version rather than extended and using the Blue Ray 4k UHD disc.
I swear that cycle would bankrupt New Zealand if they had to make it today.

No issue with the battle scenes and the detail eye popping but there is a fundamental issue with 4K UHD discs freezing that might lead to a messy class action. It's across too many players and too many discs. 🍿
A quick search 4K UHD discs freezing leads to hundreds of posts right into 2024

Here's samples

not happy...

At least this worked perfectly
Had the two 4k Blade Runner films I had not opened yet.

Watched them back to back tonight and they were flawless
No freeze, no stutter

Really good with the Sennheisers

It seems such a crap shoot. crumb_head_explode.jpg
But when it all comes together it's wonderful.
Since I have a week of rain gonna open any 4k BR not yet watched🍿

If you want a more seamless 4K experience, rip the disc to your computer. Or download the digital copy if they still do that.

How Big is a 2-Hour 4k Movie? A two-hour movie streamed at 4k Ultra High Definition or at Full 4k DCI will consume 7 GB to 16 GB of high-speed data per hour depending on which 4K setting is chosen. For a two-hour 4k movie that would be 14 Gb – 32 GB.
Lot of drive space and have to buy a 4k BR reader $300 for a Pioneer BDR-XD08B and then need to flash it. Many hoops. Drive space is cheap and I see why many have moved to home servers.
I'll assess when I go through all the 4k BR I have. :rolleyes: 🍿
I was annoyed tonight - just wanted to watch a DVD BR and could get nowhere....brand new disc - correct region but a number of reports of DRM issues with Avatar 4k BR...thought we were past DRM grapes-print.jpg

No luck with Avatar in 4k even tho the bonus discs are fine :unsure:

Dune in 4k however was perfect and the sound wonderful in the Sennheisers. (y)

Recently watched Deadpool and Wolverine.

Very fun movie. Ryan Reynolds on full sarcastic effect. Lots of poking fun at Marvel, and 4th wall jokes, the best being Welsely Snipes as Blade, but was kinda right. Liked this version of Wolverine, very comic book like. Though the main villain was a bit too over powered, I dunno why they have to do this in new movies by taking it too far.
Also not enough screen time for Morena Baccarin. ;)

4k HDR is fabulous on this nearly 50 year old movie.
Close Encounters I saw it first on opening day in Buffalo NY over the holidays in 1978 on a 70 mm screen and was blown away…
the 4k version comes close in overall impact, is better than original in HDR and the sound is superb on the disc
Needed to stay a little back to lose the grain but overall extremely satisfying.
Nice to get all three cuts - I watched the Directors Cut which others say is the best.

I’d forgotten the very opening

The Smithsonian has one of the models on display next to the space shuttle. We tried to find all the easter eggs on it but soon gave up.
Did find R2D2….

Meant to add this extensive article on how Blade Runner was made without CG
The methods used apparently contribute to the sterling quality of the 4k UHD version.

God is a Bullet. Twisted thriller. Based on a true story. I found it entertaining.

Watching 2001 Space Odyssey in 4k UHD. It was produced before the moon landing and a few anomalies show up but certainly do not have a major effect. Noticeably the view of earth - the scale is wrong. Here's t he 1968 earthrise photo

It's not that far off tho.

I've not seen it in perhaps decades and the HDR really makes the film pop without washout. No complaints with the transfer quality. Very happy with the purchase.

Well I have to agree with this

Aside from a few quibbles about the weightlessness portrayals ( The Expanse rules in that regard )
it's incredible feat of cinema.
Early enough for a second movie I think. 🍿

Last edited:
Top Gun 4k UHD - great movie, so so transfer outcome ....poor choice of film stock mebbe.
Part of the problem is that Top Gun is an extremely grainy film. Tony Scott and cinematographer Jeffrey Kimball shot it in the Super 35 format, which was known for being very grainy on film stocks available at the time.23 Jan 2023
Sound is superb. Really good to see Val Kilmer in his prime..some serious physiques in that volleyball game....sad his current situation. :(
He did make it into the new one tho. √

Seems to prove the point of needing the bigger film stock for a good transfer.

Nolan has it correct.

70 mm film (or 65 mm film) is a wide high-resolution film gauge for motion picture photography, with a negative area nearly 3.5 times as large as the standard 35 mm motion picture film format. As used in cameras, the film is 65 mm (2.6 in) wide. For projection, the original 65 mm film is printed on 70 mm (2.8 in) film.

Top Gun is a bad movie soundtrack to have loaded when riding...too much temptation. 🏍️

Last edited:
Really good to see Val Kilmer in his prime..some serious physiques in that volleyball game....sad his current situation. :(
He did make it into the new one tho. √

Val can't speak any more without a voice box. His son dubbed in the voiceover for him in Maverick.

VAL-22.jpg

I saw the interview with him a while back. I'm sure the income from the second film is welcome.

••••

Avatar Way of the Water just superb in 4k UHD and of course more to come.

and I could watch it in near field…better than the cinema.

Lots coming

Last edited:
Back to back Avatars....that was a marathon ...and in the wrong order but that's okay.
They truly are phenomenal.

4k UHD Guardians of the Galaxy perfect even in near field. Been long enough since I've seen it so the laughs are fresh.
I think this is the best of the series. 🍿

the original did not do a lot for me but so far the extended version is improved but Joachim so wooden still.
Certainly spectacular. 🍿
Much better movie...can't wait to see the next longer cut

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom