Pickup Trucks | Page 28 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pickup Trucks

Here's a decent tow test comparing the Maverick, Santa Cruz and Ridgeline towing a 4000 lb trailer up a mountain in Colorado. They all perform pretty similarly, though the Maverick temps are climbing, which makes sense as it's the only one maxed out. The Ridgeline struggles at altitude without a turbo, but otherwise does okay:

Got to use my rear locker for the first time (other than testing it for fun) yesterday! Some torrential downpours late July really did a number on some logging/seasonal roads in my area. One hill in particular was especially washed out, and climbing it nice and slow in 4wd-low suddenly both my front and rear tire lost grip and just started spinning. I could have backed up and gave it another go with more speed since I really was just crawling, but got a chance to use the fancy rear-locker button and it continued it's slow crawl up the hill without issue.

When I downgraded from my power wagon to the 1500 I was a little worried about losing my front locker and winch, but I guess I don't wander off-road as much as I used to since this is the first time in 4 years I ever had to use the rear locker.

The 1500 disengages from 4wd low and rear locker much easier than the power wagon did. As per the power wagon manual, sometimes I would have do do a "reverse S pattern" to get the lockers to disengage... with the 1500, i've never had a problem with sticky lockers when coming out of 4wd.

That Dukes of Hazzard orange is awesome enough that I'm almost regretting not waiting for a 2025. Those rims, on the other hand, are some of the ugliest I've ever seen. Could also do without the Lego chunky tow hooks...
I like the looks, but agree some styling is very subjective. I find this in most new vehicles, there is always a few "points" of discussion to be found.

I like the looks, but agree some styling is very subjective. I find this in most new vehicles, there is always a few "points" of discussion to be found.
I personally love the design of the Santa Cruz (obviously), but can also totally see why people would hate it. One thing it's not is boring.

Hyundai's styling in general has been more 'out there' lately, I suspect to avoid the brand becoming too bland. Toyota has been similarly aggressive, as they'd gone so far down the 'reliable but boring' path that it was affecting sales. Sadly, if the RAV4 fuel pump issues and other problems are any indication, they seem to have given up a bit of the reliable rep in the process as well.

I personally love the design of the Santa Cruz (obviously), but can also totally see why people would hate it. One thing it's not is boring.

Hyundai's styling in general has been more 'out there' lately, I suspect to avoid the brand becoming too bland. Toyota has been similarly aggressive, as they'd gone so far down the 'reliable but boring' path that it was affecting sales. Sadly, if the RAV4 fuel pump issues and other problems are any indication, they seem to have given up a bit of the reliable rep in the process as well.
I’m gonna set up a test drive of the Santa Cruz just for kicks.

But I’m starting to lean more and more toward a Bolt or Mustang Mach-E.

All this extra money monthly ($100/month) from reduced rates is burning a hole in my pocket.

All this extra money monthly ($100/month) from reduced rates is burning a hole in my pocket.
Let us know your thoughts on the Santa Cruz if you test drive one, but if you have your heart set on something else I would focus on that.

The dealer sending me home with ours for an afternoon is what sold me, as for all my yapping about towing above, it really is a daily driver first and foremost. Coming from a Civic, it feels like a rocketship, but may not compare so well to a GTI.

The packages options are small, basically Limited, Limited with Trend Package (adds so many options it's functionally another trim), and Ultimate. We were able to find a few year-old certified pre-owned Ultimates with very low miles for $12k+ under new, which depending on the date the vehicle was registered, can actually get you a longer warranty than new (they tack a year on to the powertrain if it's CPO).

The main differences with the upcoming 2025 refresh is a slightly truckier front end (more flat and vertical) and a totally changed dash. Pros of the new dash is more knobs over flat-panel buttons, cons (depending on taste) is it's got the more common screens glued to the dash look over the more integrated look of the old one.

Wrong thread, but I really wanted an EV this go-round, but needed towing more. Have a look at the electric Kona while you're at the dealership, in my cursory window shop of EV's, it seemed to be the best value (if you can handle the looks)...

The dealer sending me home with ours for an afternoon is what sold me, as for all my yapping about towing above, it really is a daily driver first and foremost. Coming from a Civic, it feels like a rocketship, but may not compare so well to a GTI.

The packages options are small, basically Limited, Limited with Trend Package (adds so many options it's functionally another trim), and Ultimate. We were able to find a few year-old certified pre-owned Ultimates with very low miles for $12k+ under new, which depending on the date the vehicle was registered, can actually get you a longer warranty than new (they tack a year on to the powertrain if it's CPO).

The main differences with the upcoming 2025 refresh is a slightly truckier front end (more flat and vertical) and a totally changed dash. Pros of the new dash is more knobs over flat-panel buttons, cons (depending on taste) is it's got the more common screens glued to the dash look over the more integrated look of the old one.

Wrong thread, but I really wanted an EV this go-round, but needed towing more. Have a look at the electric Kona while you're at the dealership, in my cursory window shop of EV's, it seemed to be the best value (if you can handle the looks)...
Thanks for that. You're literally the person that's pushing me toward exploring it more and more.

I don't need big, and I don't need fast (I just like it). But towing small things, and a potential camper that my wife wants to buy is on the horizon. While the Odyssey does it...I'd like something that I can use, and not leave her stranded as right now, she still won't accept driving the GTI due to the 6MT.

I've had my fun. Time to grow up (I hate those words).

Got to use my rear locker for the first time (other than testing it for fun) yesterday! Some torrential downpours late July really did a number on some logging/seasonal roads in my area. One hill in particular was especially washed out, and climbing it nice and slow in 4wd-low suddenly both my front and rear tire lost grip and just started spinning. I could have backed up and gave it another go with more speed since I really was just crawling, but got a chance to use the fancy rear-locker button and it continued it's slow crawl up the hill without issue.

When I downgraded from my power wagon to the 1500 I was a little worried about losing my front locker and winch, but I guess I don't wander off-road as much as I used to since this is the first time in 4 years I ever had to use the rear locker.

The 1500 disengages from 4wd low and rear locker much easier than the power wagon did. As per the power wagon manual, sometimes I would have do do a "reverse S pattern" to get the lockers to disengage... with the 1500, i've never had a problem with sticky lockers when coming out of 4wd.
I tested mine in Port Perry a couple weeks ago. My wife's first time riding in the truck she pointed to the drive selector/mode pushing it in the process which activates the rear locker. Dash popup told me to slow to 30 if I wanted the locker so I dismissed it thinking it'll only come on if I push it below 30. Nope when I entered town and stopped for a red it came on automatically (I didn't notice the locker light in the corner of the dash lit). Realized it was on after a couple chirping turns in town.

I tested mine in Port Perry a couple weeks ago. My wife's first time riding in the truck she pointed to the drive selector/mode pushing it in the process which activates the rear locker. Dash popup told me to slow to 30 if I wanted the locker so I dismissed it thinking it'll only come on if I push it below 30. Nope when I entered town and stopped for a red it came on automatically (I didn't notice the locker light in the corner of the dash lit). Realized it was on after a couple chirping turns in town.
Are they not auto locking anymore my GMC locks if it detects spin and unlocks after.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Here's a decent tow test comparing the Maverick, Santa Cruz and Ridgeline towing a 4000 lb trailer up a mountain in Colorado. They all perform pretty similarly, though the Maverick temps are climbing, which makes sense as it's the only one maxed out. The Ridgeline struggles at altitude without a turbo, but otherwise does okay:

Thanks for the video...good watch.

I don't know about GMC, but for Dodge they call that "traction control", and it's disabled in 4WD low.
Not traction control g80 lockers throws a locking pin when one wheel is spinning faster. When the tension is off the pin retracts. Every GM truck I have had has had one. A Guide to the Eaton G80 Locking Differential

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ford gives you the ability to lock diffs manually so that you don't need to lose traction to gain traction.
Both systems are rugged and dependable.

I prefer the GM mechanical locker, it's tougher, simpler proven itself more dependable over the long term -- important if you want to keep a truck for 10 years. GM's also kicks in and out automatically when you need it -- a big benefit when encountering unpredictable conditions or when someone unfamiliar with the locking differentials pilots the truck.

May also be that I swore off Ford after watching a few colleagues pay to replace clapped-out phasers, turbos, -- I can't imagine dumping $20K into an engine and transmission of a 3-year-old grocery-getter pickup with 120,000km.

Mileage at 11.6 now in mixed driving and some playing in Sport Mode (holds onto gears much longer, etc). No premium fuel required. Engine still loosening up at 2300km. I’m not complaining one bit.

Attachments

• IMG_5631.jpeg
    IMG_5631.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom