Pickup Trucks | Page 25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pickup Trucks

When I ordered the AWD 2.0 turbo XL Maverick the wait time was the same for all models, the Mexico plant couldn't keep up - 8 months.
That may be better now.
The only ones you find on the dealer lots are fully pimped, but I think that goes for just about anything.
2,000 lb. towing capacity is plenty for me, I'm getting 9.9L/100kms no matter how I drive (old man mode).
With the tailgate down I've got almost 6 feet - fit a friend's Ducati Monster in it no problem.
Yes, I wouldn't want to haul across Canada that way but from Collingwood to Toronto it was just fine.
Your results may differ...

Yeah, the profit is in the high-spec packages, so that's what they mostly make, and that's what's on lots. As mentioned above, Honda does the same. At XL pricing, the Maverick makes a lot of sense as an old-school compact runabout truck, though. Hard to find without serious wait times these days, and we were looking for something with more bells and whistles.

As for hauling bikes in the bed, it can be done in a pinch, but I wouldn't want to do it on the regular, or rely on it for track days or race weekends.

Is yours a hybrid or EcoBoost?

Yeah, the profit is in the high-spec packages, so that's what they mostly make, and that's what's on lots. As mentioned above, Honda does the same. At XL pricing, the Maverick makes a lot of sense as an old-school compact runabout truck, though. Hard to find without serious wait times these days, and we were looking for something with more bells and whistles.

As for hauling bikes in the bed, it can be done in a pinch, but I wouldn't want to do it on the regular, or rely on it for track days or race weekends.

I assume his is Ecoboost as he's getting 9.9L/100km, and I'm quite sure that's what I had talked about to him or not.

As for the Hyundai, I never really considered it...but may look into it more as it seems to fit the bill. Will a 4x8 sheet fit laying down?

Now...back to my stupid want, the Maverick....

I'm a simple man, all I wanted was an XLT + Luxury Package + 4k Tow (if EB) and nothing more. But all dealers add in some 'black out package', or Lariat, or something else that's unnecessary.

It has been an exercise in frustration.

I assume his is Ecoboost as he's getting 9.9L/100km, and I'm quite sure that's what I had talked about to him or not.

As for the Hyundai, I never really considered it...but may look into it more as it seems to fit the bill. Will a 4x8 sheet fit laying down?

I'm a simple man, all I wanted was an XLT + Luxury Package + 4k Tow (if EB) and nothing more. But all dealers add in some 'black out package', or Lariat, or something else that's unnecessary.

Funny the more I look at it the Hyundai seems to do everything I need it to do without being so large the wife won't drive it.
I may be working from home again next year so we've considered trading both vehicles in for something new as we'll be ok as a single vehicle family..

2.0L turbo AWD. If I was serious about transporting motorcycles I'd get a light duty trailer.

Order and wait. Don't let them stick you with stuff you don't want. Conversation with the F&I guy went like 'no spray in bed liner, no undercoating, no financing (paid cash), no other extras - just the truck, floor mats and light duty hitch package.' End of discussion.

Order and wait. Don't let them stick you with stuff you don't want. Conversation with the F&I guy went like 'no spray in bed liner, no undercoating, no financing (paid cash), no other extras - just the truck, floor mats and light duty hitch package.' End of discussion.
On pickup day, "Oh, we accidentally installed the blinking red light to protect against rust, window etching, wheel locks and activated the extended warranty. Help me out so my boss doesn't fire me. Normally that would be 8K but I can give it to you for 5K".

On pickup day, "Oh, we accidentally installed the blinking red light to protect against rust, window etching, wheel locks and activated the extended warranty. Help me out so my boss doesn't fire me. Normally that would be 8K but I can give it to you for 5K".
Unfortunately you are correct and I've read multiple reports of that happening.

'Oh hey, we know you ordered this and that...but that one shockingly didn't make it. But check out this similar priced model for 2-5k more'...

Never actually experienced any of that junk. I have always been very clear that I will only be signing for exactly what was discussed and no I am not got to sit with the sales manager.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Never actually experienced any of that junk. I have always been very clear that I will only be signing for exactly what was discussed and no I am not got to sit with the sales manager.

My BIL apparently had that conversation but was confused when I looked at his invoice and he had paid $2K for the blinking red light. No matter how clear you are, you need to check every line before signing. Dirtbags.

My BIL apparently had that conversation but was confused when I looked at his invoice and he had paid $2K for the blinking red light. No matter how clear you are, you need to check every line before signing. Dirtbags.
How could you miss that contracts are usually pretty clear price and any extras

How could you miss that contracts are usually pretty clear price and any extras

Had discussion, sales brought back contract and said it was as discussed, BIL didn't bother reading line by line as they had broken his spirit by keeping him there for so long.

Had discussion, sales brought back contract and said it was as discussed, BIL didn't bother reading line by line as they had broken his spirit by keeping him there for so long.
If they start taking to long I start leaving and if the total isn't what I expected I am giving it back to be fixed.

It has a party trick where you can relocate the tailgate cables to shorten the drop so the top of the tailgate sits at the same height as the wheel wells. Plywood or drywall will then rest on the wheel wells and across the edge of the tailgate so it's flat. Like so:

1722460182770.png

Now...back to my stupid want, the Maverick...
I could tell the Maverick had been selling well by the general disdain we were received with at the Ford dealership when I told them I wanted roughly the same spec.

Funny the more I look at it the Hyundai seems to do everything I need it to do without being so large the wife won't drive it.
I may be working from home again next year so we've considered trading both vehicles in for something new as we'll be ok as a single vehicle family..
So far, the biggest drawbacks are the back seat and small door openings. Would definitely be an issue if you have tall teens and want to do longer drives, otherwise it's fine.

Beyond that, the hitch receiver is super low, so you need a big rise on your ball. The grill is super open with a huge rad in behind, so many folks add a mesh to protect from rocks.

Long term, the biggest question mark is probably the DCT. It's wet, so smoother than some of the truly sporty ones, but not as proven reliability-wise as a traditional slushbox. For me, I really love the much more direct feel you get between pedal and power to the wheels, so I'm happy to roll those dice. We also got an extra year of warranty on the powertrain (five base, plus one for being CPO), so I just need to make sure to blow it up before that expires.

Just discovered yesterday that the original owner fell for the blinking red light. Slightly embarassing to have it lurking under the hood.

Wait, wait, wait a bit for the best in a 2025.......

Rumor has it that the Acura MDX and the Ridgeline Hybrid might share a hybrid drivetrain. This powertrain's electric motor and 3.0 liter V6 engine combine to produce 320 hp.

nah, I can see hybrid in honda product, but not Acura or MDX

pretty sure Acuras roadmap is to transition to all electric and skip the hybrid phase.

Mind you, with the way automakers are rethinking their EV strategy due to poor sales, that may change.

Having said all that, I'd still go with a Honda product over the others for longevity and quality.

My last 2 honda lasted me 14 years and 8 years and still ran like a champ when I sold it. (went to bigger newer models even though the currents were just fine) .

My current 14 year old Acura still runs and drives like the day I bought it.

Not sure what you mean by this. Both the Ford and Hyundai offer a lot more tech and options for less, and what they do offer works better. Believe me, I just switched from Honda to Hyundai, and Hyundai's tech is a long, long way ahead.
Tech stuff doesn't do anything for me. I don’t even use a cell phone.
But today, while driving home from golfing, I enjoyed the vented seats in the Ridgeline as we were sweating like hell.
I know that's something the Maverick left out.
No clue if the kia has it or not. Will never buy one.

2025 Maverick now allows for AWD and 4k tow package to be included on the hybrid....depending on the final CAD pricing...may be tempted to swap the GTI out for one...

I'm tempted now to sell my hybrid fwd Maverick for the AWD. But I can't stand the new front bumper pieces to the lights. It's just not cohesive.
It's like the designers said "hey let's put in these cool led claw headlights without adjusting the grill to fill in the gap" "great idea Jim" "what we do now with the vacant space" "a just cut a piece of plastic, bend,twist and make no effort to line it up or make it flush with the lower fender piece or the hood lines" "brilliant idea Jim, let's go to production" 🤦🏻‍♂️

Some other updates to the interior are much better, except the HVAC controls being on the touch screen. Its nonsense. Also, to get the truck I have now, options and packages, will be a significant increase dollar wise. Some things removed from previous packages and what not. Based on US pricing that's out, I would imagine my same spec +AWD would now be 45k cdn. Compared to $38k The truck is way overpriced now for a mid range XLT. I'll have to wait and see the new pricing.
There will also be a kinda ST version but called the Lobo, still no concrete details on that one other than a 7speed trans as opposed to the EcoBoost 8speed.
I bought it for the fuel savings and have nothing bad to report about that. In the city it's amazing.

Last edited:
Tech stuff doesn't do anything for me. I don’t even use a cell phone.
But today, while driving home from golfing, I enjoyed the vented seats in the Ridgeline as we were sweating like hell.
I know that's something the Maverick left out.
No clue if the kia has it or not. Will never buy one.
Mazda has them, my CX-5 has it. I think they have a fan or something that blows up the air

Back
Top Bottom