Normal car recommendation…. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Normal car recommendation….

Dont do it!
Remember what happened to the Dodge Dart?
Just another attempt by Stellantis to penetrate the North American Market. It shares the same platform as the Alfa Romeo Tonale.
I don't have a Dodge on my driveway, never have (as yet).

All Dodge products cannot be tar'd with the same brush.
"Dart" does not spell "Hornet".

The moto-journos rave over the Hornet and since it's release there have been no publicized reports of things like tranny falling to the ground, panels flying off and the like. The Hornet packs a punch.

Tho' I must admit that the Alfa-Romeo sibling is a better looker, but then you pay for the fancy front, the badge and the one of a kind rims.

What about this one?

I've only seen one in the wild. Driven by a complete brain dead moron. Didn't want to go on a green light, drifting unsignalled lane changes, etc. Not obviously impaired, just completely oblivious to the world around them.

The font chosen for hornet isn't clear. It took me a few guesses before I got it. No obvious dodge badge on the rear.

The tiny storage area in the CX5 was a dealbreaker for us, but it seems great elsewhere and is a decent looker by small SUV standards. Especially when compared to the dull RAV or CRV.

I hate how much I love newer Volvos. The V60 may be our next car, which is not a wise financial choice, even used. I keep reminding myself that they're really Geely's, but I just love how they look. I just don't understand why nobody makes wagons anymore. I can't be the only person that wants a vehicle that's lower, with all the handling and fuel economy benefits that offers, but still wants something bigger than a hatchback...
Volvos, great design - just be prepared ro shell out $400 per service.
I almost bought an XC-40 until I was told that a standard service will cost $400 as the Tech has to check and update all the different software modules that the vehicle has.
I want a car and not a Windows computer.

Honestly the more I read and think about my real use for the car...leaning toward the CX5 / Maverick Hybrid / Bolt EV/EUV / Kona EV.

I like the functionality of the Maverick, but a dealer quoted me 4-6 months and the majority of those advertised on AutoTrader are sold anyway. Just a way for dealership to get you to call / walk in.

Maverick seems to check the most boxes. Fuel efficient, roomy, functional, and wife can use it for work. Plus it's a bit larger / higher than my previous cars and maybe it's time to grow up and have a proper 'dad' car instead of 'toys' lol.

THEN I can buy myself an MX5 or Mustang GT!

Last edited:
Only one I can comment on is the Civic, we've had our Touring model since they first came out. Decent on gas (easy 6-7.5 l/100 km without babying it in very mixed driving with lots of stop and go), and very comfortable front seats with excellent safety features. As you note, not much smaller than the 2016 Accord I had for a number of years. Drive is okay, will be a real let-down after a GTI, but not bad. CVT isn't irritating, is mostly unobtrusive and you don't notice it unless you accelerate hard for a long time (e.g. pedal to the floor from a stop to 120 km/h). Has had zero significant issues since we got it in mid-2021. The main complaint we had was a slow to boot head unit for Android Auto / Car Play, but that's been fixed with a software update.

Problems include:

- Absolutely no towing with the CVT, not even 500 lbs. At least, as long as the warranty is active.
- Sedan trunk is frustrating, but hatchback is way more money as they're imported from Japan.
- Headroom in the back seat is low for anyone over 6'2" tall. I'm 6'1", and my head brushes the roof if I sit straight and tall.

All in all, it's a great commuter and grocery-getter, but limited in versatility with the sedan trunk and no towing.
Wife drives a 2018 Civic (and I do, when she tosses me the keys).
The CVT may be well executed, but it still is a CVT and I'd never buy another CVT equipped car.
Must admit that it has a peppy motor, decent suspension and good gas mileage.
The body work ancillaries, not so great - the wheel arches are made of some kind of cheap fibre, the lights leaked water (replaced under warranty), the windshield gasket is peeling and now there is a coming recall ("product improvement" in dealer parlance) for the fuel pump impeller, thin material and not to spec. Wonder where else did Honda cheap out.

Last edited:
My kid has a Subie Crosstrek and I have a Forester. The Forester gets better fuel economy. I put a class 3 hitch on and it tows our pop up and kayaks on the roof rails without issue. Well out of warranty being 2018 and 165k.

Wife loves how it drives and visibility etc. No mechanical issues. Simple oil changes and brakes etc.

The Forester has more room than its smaller sibling and can be cheaper depending on trim level etc. Highly recommend.

Wife drives a 2018 Civic (and I do, when she tosses me the keys).
The CVT may be well executed, but it still is a CVT and I'd never buy another CVT equipped car.
Must admit that it has a peppy motor, decent suspension and good gas mileage.
The body work ancillaries, not so great - the wheel arches are made of some kind of cheap fibre, the lights leaked water (replaced under warranty), the windshield gasket is peeling and now there is a coming recall ("product improvement" in dealer parlance) for the fuel pump impeller, thin material and not to spec. Wonder where else did Honda cheap out.

Fair enough. Our experience has been totally different, as we've had four Hondas between my wife and I over the past 10 years. The only significant problem was the LED running lights crapping out within a few months of purchase on the 2016 Accord, which were promptly replaced within an hour at the dealership under warranty. Beyond that, as noted, the 2022 Civic had a head unit that took a few minutes to get Android Auto or Apple Car Play up and running, which may not seem like much but was very irritating when trying to use it to navigate and it's not ready as you drive away. The head unit updated itself via wifi, and the problem was solved.

The CVT is the cost of getting good mileage, as it's the best way to set up a motor for an RPM sweet spot, and then keep it as close to that in as many conditions as possible. The one in the 2016 Civic was a bit drony, the 2019 CR-V was better (though that was a very slow vehicle and underpowered), and the 2022 Civic has been a massive improvement. It's good enough that it's well worth the improved fuel economy for me, and rarely has that elastic band feeling that the older one did. As noted before, the only time I notice it now is in scenarios like merging back onto a highway after being stopped on the shoulder, where you get the odd sensation of accelerating while the revs stay pretty much flat. I'm not in the habit of stopping on the side of highways, though, so it's a non-issue for me. It's good enough that we keep it in 'Fuel Economy' mode most of the time, as the added pep of 'Normal' or 'Sport' is pointless in typical GTA stop-and-go driving. I only pop it back to 'normal' on country highways to help with passing.

As for your bodywork concerns, I suspect what you're seeing in the wheel wells is sound deadening felt, not the actual bodywork. There's no fibre in the car that's actually part of the body that I know of. I leaking lights and peeling windscreen sealant are definitely legit issues, though I'm not aware of whether that's a common issue model-wide or simply bad luck. That said, I never get the feeling the vehicles were built cheaply, especially the newer Civic which is a massive step up in interior finish from the older one...

Fair enough. Our experience has been totally different, as we've had four Hondas between my wife and I over the past 10 years. The only significant problem was the LED running lights crapping out within a few months of purchase on the 2016 Accord, which were promptly replaced within an hour at the dealership under warranty. Beyond that, as noted, the 2022 Civic had a head unit that took a few minutes to get Android Auto or Apple Car Play up and running, which may not seem like much but was very irritating when trying to use it to navigate and it's not ready as you drive away. The head unit updated itself via wifi, and the problem was solved.

The CVT is the cost of getting good mileage, as it's the best way to set up a motor for an RPM sweet spot, and then keep it as close to that in as many conditions as possible. The one in the 2016 Civic was a bit drony, the 2019 CR-V was better (though that was a very slow vehicle and underpowered), and the 2022 Civic has been a massive improvement. It's good enough that it's well worth the improved fuel economy for me, and rarely has that elastic band feeling that the older one did. As noted before, the only time I notice it now is in scenarios like merging back onto a highway after being stopped on the shoulder, where you get the odd sensation of accelerating while the revs stay pretty much flat. I'm not in the habit of stopping on the side of highways, though, so it's a non-issue for me. It's good enough that we keep it in 'Fuel Economy' mode most of the time, as the added pep of 'Normal' or 'Sport' is pointless in typical GTA stop-and-go driving. I only pop it back to 'normal' on country highways to help with passing.

As for your bodywork concerns, I suspect what you're seeing in the wheel wells is sound deadening felt, not the actual bodywork. There's no fibre in the car that's actually part of the body that I know of. I leaking lights and peeling windscreen sealant are definitely legit issues, though I'm not aware of whether that's a common issue model-wide or simply bad luck. That said, I never get the feeling the vehicles were built cheaply, especially the newer Civic which is a massive step up in interior finish from the older one...
Your points are all valid and I guess that I am nitpicking, appreciate your detailed feedback

Edit: our's was one out of Swindon and shortly after that the Swindon factory closed. Who knows , they may have been getting rid of left overs.

Thanks @Chris-CJ for the summary in the other thread.

As the Mav is out, I’ll focus again on normal cars.

- Mazda 3
- Bolt EV/EUV
- Kona EV

And shockingly seeing a pretty big depreciation on the Mach-e so wouldn’t mind test driving that one as I may be as pleasantly surprised as driving the Maverick.

Perfect example:

Back
Top Bottom