Normal car recommendation…. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Normal car recommendation….

Personally, I would eliminate anything with a CVT as they are merely an issue waiting to happen. Had one fail and the price to repair was atrocious.

I would recommend the Mazda CX-5. You can find a later GT or Signature trim models in your price range with the 2.5L or 2.5L turbo. The engine and automatic transmission pairing is proving very reliable with reported 400k MILES on earlier model 2.5L. There is a reason why Mazda offers and unlimited KM warranty in Canada and that isn't because they fail.

The get up and go in the 2.5L turbo is really good too. Great horsepower the torque. Fuel efficiency is quite good.

It also allows for the towing capacity you are looking for. Mazda has fixed the rusting issue they were synonymous for.

Interior fit and finish is on par with vehicles that are much higher priced - more Audi/BMW sort of appeal without any cheap looking plastic bits.

Yes, I own one. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Only downside is the infotainment system is slow to load but wholly reliable and intuitive. In my 3 years of ownership, I have not had a single issue. Unlike my previous Nissan that was out of warranty in 18 months and nothing but issues right after.

Having owned an absolutely unreliable Nissan Pathfinder, I will say that Nissan does pack a lot of options for their price point so they seem attractive to buy but I learned more about smoke and mirrors owning a Nissan. I will also say mine needed $10k in out of warranty repairs during the 4 years of ownership - $8k in the last 1.5 years of ownership. It checked a lot of boxes including unnecessary anxiety and stress.

I have been following the compact SUV market for a while as my daughter is looking. The Rav4 and CX-5 keep coming up as the most reliable with the CR-V (also a CVT) rounding of the lineup. I see a lot of warnings on VW offerings...seems like they are having issues with head gaskets if I recall.

Personally, I would eliminate anything with a CVT as they are merely an issue waiting to happen. Had one fail and the price to repair was atrocious.

I would recommend the Mazda CX-5. You can find a later GT or Signature trim models in your price range with the 2.5L or 2.5L turbo. The engine and automatic transmission pairing is proving very reliable with reported 400k MILES on earlier model 2.5L. There is a reason why Mazda offers and unlimited KM warranty in Canada and that isn't because they fail.

The get up and go in the 2.5L turbo is really good too. Great horsepower the torque. Fuel efficiency is quite good.

It also allows for the towing capacity you are looking for. Mazda has fixed the rusting issue they were synonymous for.

Interior fit and finish is on par with vehicles that are much higher priced - more Audi/BMW sort of appeal without any cheap looking plastic bits.

Yes, I own one. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Only downside is the infotainment system is slow to load but wholly reliable and intuitive. In my 3 years of ownership, I have not had a single issue. Unlike my previous Nissan that was out of warranty in 18 months and nothing but issues right after.

Having owned an absolutely unreliable Nissan Pathfinder, I will say that Nissan does pack a lot of options for their price point so they seem attractive to buy but I learned more about smoke and mirrors owning a Nissan. I will also say mine needed $10k in out of warranty repairs during the 4 years of ownership - $8k in the last 1.5 years of ownership. It checked a lot of boxes including unnecessary anxiety and stress.

I have been following the compact SUV market for a while as my daughter is looking. The Rav4 and CX-5 keep coming up as the most reliable with the CR-V (also a CVT) rounding of the lineup. I see a lot of warnings on VW offerings...seems like they are having issues with head gaskets if I recall.
Vw's can have lots of issues but head gaskets are normally not one of them. You are probably thinking of subaru. They eat them like a fat man with a bowl of chips. Vw's do not like neglectful owners. Stick to the maintenance schedule or bend over as it is going to hurt.

I will also say mine needed $10k in out of warranty repairs during the 4 years of ownership - $8k in the last 1.5 years of ownership. It checked a lot of boxes including unnecessary anxiety and stress.

Nissan is a japanese GM, simply atrocious.

Dude, this is exactly why I've only owned and will continue to own Hondas for the last 30 years.

So I dont have to worry about this nonsense, and never have. (I keep my cars long term, my last Accord lasted me 14 years with no issue, My current MDX is on its 12th year and outside of routine maintenance, I/ve only spent about $120 in out of pocket repairs.

Mazdas puch above their weight for sure, but I'd. Stick to a CR-V. or Toyota and you are golden.

Last edited:
Thanks for that great write up @JZ67 I actually really like the Mazdas. The Mazda3 has always been on my list for potential vehicles, and when I saw the CX5 is that super sexy ruby red I started digging into them and read good things.

Of course I had to see a stupid V60 in red also…thankfully the V60 Polestar is way out of range.

Really digging those Polestar 2 models, but thankfully they’re also out of my price range. Saw 3 today.

Thanks for that great write up @JZ67 I actually really like the Mazdas. The Mazda3 has always been on my list for potential vehicles, and when I saw the CX5 is that super sexy ruby red I started digging into them and read good things.

Of course I had to see a stupid V60 in red also…thankfully the V60 Polestar is way out of range.

Really digging those Polestar 2 models, but thankfully they’re also out of my price range. Saw 3 today.

The tiny storage area in the CX5 was a dealbreaker for us, but it seems great elsewhere and is a decent looker by small SUV standards. Especially when compared to the dull RAV or CRV.

I hate how much I love newer Volvos. The V60 may be our next car, which is not a wise financial choice, even used. I keep reminding myself that they're really Geely's, but I just love how they look. I just don't understand why nobody makes wagons anymore. I can't be the only person that wants a vehicle that's lower, with all the handling and fuel economy benefits that offers, but still wants something bigger than a hatchback...

The tiny storage area in the CX5 was a dealbreaker for us, but it seems great elsewhere and is a decent looker by small SUV standards. Especially when compared to the dull RAV or CRV.

I hate how much I love newer Volvos. The V60 may be our next car, which is not a wise financial choice, even used. I keep reminding myself that they're really Geely's, but I just love how they look. I just don't understand why nobody makes wagons anymore. I can't be the only person that wants a vehicle that's lower, with all the handling and fuel economy benefits that offers, but still wants something bigger than a hatchback...
If the Golf wagons were made after 2019 I’d probably have one in my driveway right now.

The GTI is great and having those dynamics in a wagon form…sign me up!

There are very few wagon options unfortunately. Subaru, Volvo, BMW, MB.

Hell the US has a gorgeous Buick wagon variant.

1703977354250.jpeg

Mazdas puch above their weight for sure, but I'd. Stick to a CR-V. or Toyota and you are golden.
If I were going to narrow the choices to CR-V or Rav, it would be the Rav without question. The 1.5L in the Honda is not great and later models are reporting with issues with interior cabin temperatures getting warm in colder temps. The engine just doesn't get hot enough to generate cabin heat to be comfortable. Also...Honda has a CVT.

Vw's can have lots of issues but head gaskets are normally not one of them. You are probably thinking of subaru. They eat them like a fat man with a bowl of chips. Vw's do not like neglectful owners. Stick to the maintenance schedule or bend over as it is going to hurt.
You might be right, can't remember exactly what the issues where but I do remember it being a no-go for me.

If the Golf wagons were made after 2019 I’d probably have one in my driveway right now.

The GTI is great and having those dynamics in a wagon form…sign me up!

There are very few wagon options unfortunately. Subaru, Volvo, BMW, MB.

Hell the US has a gorgeous Buick wagon variant.

I'll never, ever, buy a BMW/Audi simply to avoid being associated with the absolute tw*ts that often drive them, and I can't justify a Merc when there are so many other better things to waste my money on. Subarus aren't what they used to be, and seem to be mostly be porky, dated looking and overpriced. Volvo is more justifiable than Merc, but they have ditched the regular V models and only sell XC versions that are better than an SUV, but still...

Iirc the buick wagon was not very good. They didn't sell many.

I heard the opposite, that it was based on a Euro Opel model and actually performed far better than you'd expect, given the badge. A quick Google of reviews seems to suggest a lack of ground clearance is the biggest complaint, which seems to me an absolutely insane metric to by which to judge a wagon. They definitely didn't sell many, though that's not an issue unique to Buick as noted above...

If I were going to narrow the choices to CR-V or Rav, it would be the Rav without question. The 1.5L in the Honda is not great and later models are reporting with issues with interior cabin temperatures getting warm in colder temps. The engine just doesn't get hot enough to generate cabin heat to be comfortable. Also...Honda has a CVT.

Your loss. I'd only choose the cr-v hybrid w 2.0 engine. so the 1.5 is a moot issue.

And honda does the cvt best.

I wouldn't worry too much about BMW/AUDI and the reputation of their drivers. Tesla drivers are quickly taking that over.

Plus, that 330xi wagon is pure sex on wheels for me.

1703979248350.png

I just can't afford it...or the repairs required to it.

The RAV4 Hybrid is also a nice option, but those things are ridiculously priced and go fast when they're available.

A nice option is also the Accord Hybrid. Roomy, sexy, and fuel efficient. Majority of my uber drivers have come in an Accord Hybrid and claim 900-1100km/tank. I think there's a few Honda / Toyota salesmen here so they may be able to chime in.

I wouldn't worry too much about BMW/AUDI and the reputation of their drivers. Tesla drivers are quickly taking that over.

Plus, that 330xi wagon is pure sex on wheels for me.

View attachment 65246

I just can't afford it...or the repairs required to it.

The RAV4 Hybrid is also a nice option, but those things are ridiculously priced and go fast when they're available.

A nice option is also the Accord Hybrid. Roomy, sexy, and fuel efficient. Majority of my uber drivers have come in an Accord Hybrid and claim 900-1100km/tank. I think there's a few Honda / Toyota salesmen here so they may be able to chime in.
Someone beat that with a fugly stick.

Although I'll never own anything German.

I'd take the audi all road wagon over that thing if I was forced to choose

I would also take an RS3 or RS6 instead of the 330…but not having that type of money allows me to not dwell too long on it.

This would do very nicely, but the kms are too high for my liking.

We have 3 CX5’s and a CX3 in the family and up until our new Odyssey we had a 18 CRV. All have been great. I really liked that CRV and we’d still have it if we didn’t need the Ody.
There’s also my CX7 with 284k on it with no rust and it’s never broken down but it’ll likely get replaced with a truck here shortly.

Back
Top Bottom