Nominate Future Collectible Motorcycles | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nominate Future Collectible Motorcycles

Some neat bikes guys....

What about BMW's K1 series. Made in the late 80's early 90's and I have never seen one on the road.

800px-BMW_K1_blue_1993_r_TCE.jpg

Rode beside one on University Avenue a few weeks ago. Mint condition. I'd never seen one outside of my "art of the motorcycle" book.

Rode beside one on University Avenue a few weeks ago. Mint condition. I'd never seen one outside of my "art of the motorcycle" book.

Yeah the only time I've ever seen one was at McBrides, Had one sit on the floor for yearsssssss in the bmw showroom.

Heres are couple I'm surprised havent been mentioned yet.

How about a 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa. Defind hyper-sport touring bikes and this was the only year that was still un-restricted.

99hayabusa.jpg

Or how about Ducati's Desmo---my name is too long to prenounce. lol First pretty much full blown race bike that was street legal. no?

ducati_desmosedici_rr.jpg

These were the two bikes that were predecessors to the 'busa, and both did 175 mph+. Both had well over 140hp.

I'd go with the original models - I think the ZX-11 came out in '90 and the BlackBird in '96?

The way it seems, the ZX-11 led to the BlackBird which led to the 'busa.

Here's a fun article from right before the 'busa came out: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/open-superbikes-1997-3030.htm

Last edited:
1988/1989 Honda CB1 400cc liquid cooled in-line 4 cylinder. very few came to the states, many of those that did becmae race bikes and are gone now. Very fun bikes, very fast for a 400 and rare.

IMG_3999.jpg

Apex in Waterloo has one in their showroom right now - with a Kerker exhaust,.

A collectible bike needs 2 key elements, rarity and desirability, it doesn't even have to be a good bike.

A rare bike isn't necessarily desirable. Suzuki Maduras are rare as proverbial hen's teeth but no one wants that ugly mofo so not a collectible bike.
main_2.jpg

Conversely, a desirable bike isn't always rare. VFR800s original Suzuki Bandits are still highly prized but so many were produced that they won't likely become collectible.

I'm nominating the early 2000s super standads. The Kawasaki ZRX 1200, Suzuki Bandit 1200, and the Yamaha FZ1.

146_0108_9zoom+2001_yamaha_fz1+front_left.jpg
146_0108_3zoom+2001_kawasaki_zrx_1200+front_left.jpg
146_0108_1zoom+2001_suzuki_bandit_1200s+right.jpg

Already a collector, but IMO will be a 6 figure bike in a few years. Puts all others to shame.

2005 MV Agusta F4 1000S Tamburini Edition.
First F4 with Torque shift system, top speed 305+ km/h, Full carbon fibre (except tank), only 300 produced. I believe this the only bike to have ever been named after the designer, Massimo Tamburini

MV-Agusta-F4-1000MT-Tamburini-2005-01.jpg

tamburini_lhr_1024.jpg

Tamburini_RHS_1024.jpg

Collectible bikes are the ones that are tough to find.A Busa will be easy to find in twenty years because there were so many of them made.
A Bimota Tesi,Harley XLCR or a Ducati Supermono will be as tough to find in twenty years as a Vincent Black Shadow is today.

edit. Ducati Hypermotards will be THE bike to collect!

Collectible bikes are the ones that are tough to find.A Busa will be easy to find in twenty years because there were so many of them made.
A Bimota Tesi,Harley XLCR or a Ducati Supermono will be as tough to find in twenty years as a Vincent Black Shadow is today.

edit. Ducati Hypermotards will be THE bike to collect!

Any busa yes...they're everywhere but not first gen. unrestricted models...which will make it desirable.

I guess I'm being a bit too indiscriminating here. However, I think you have to consider a few other things going beyond just desirability, and how many were produced...

• How certain bikes will age and be used, even if they were popular. There were quite a few GSX-R's made in the '80s - they were everywhere, and they were popular. However, it's not easy finding an unmodified '85-87 bike now, and unless you have great luck and find an unknowing buyer I doubt it's cheap. (And if your experience is different, let me in...) Look at sand-cast 1969-1970 Honda CB750's. They are very rare, and really expensive now even though they sold like hotcakes - and this is a reach, but I'd say this is because no one knew what they were or had any respect for them at the time. I think this will keep demand for bikes like the TL1000S strong.
  • Mass appeal vs. select appeal. Not everyone knows about the Desmosidrici, or some elite special model year of the MV F4. People know and love their certain years of GSX-R's, FireBlades and Hayabusas because they read about them in magazines and saw them occasionally on the mean streets - and they identify these bikes as cool. If you look at cars, this is the only reason I can see why '64-67 Mustangs are so popular and cost so much now. Sure they look great, but they were not the baddest, fastest, or rarest cars but people love them and spend $15-20k on good V8 ones now. Even the best model packages (fastback K-codes with 4-speeds on the floor) were made in the tens of thousands. To be honest, for how rare and great the nicer-model Aprilias and Ducatis are, they're bargains used because not a lot of people are familiar.
  • Historical significance, even aside from rarity. Honda RC30's were always rare and expensive, but they were mass-produced bikes and a few were sold out there. Looking at Kijiji, I have seen higher prices on nice old GSX-R's and nice Fireblades than on survivor GPz750 Turbos, or other rare bikes that time seems to have forgotten.

Anyways, just my opinion and feel free to debate or disagree. This is a subjective, personal thing as we're trying to picture how people will see our hobby in the next few years.

Last edited:
Already been posted but Honda NR 750. I think only 300 were made and I've read somewhere that one was selling for over $350,000?

oil will have run out well before 100 years from now so these motorcycles will just be seen as collectibles and can't be ridden.

I'll say the 1985 ninja 900 because it's the first ninja in North America and Tom Cruise rode it in Top Gun

tom_cruise_motorcycle.jpg

It was the 750.

Back
Top Bottom