MacDoc's new ride MT3..naked bike questions. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MacDoc's new ride MT3..naked bike questions.

Yeah, the hardcases were a legacy thing. Going back and outfitting the GS with Reckless 80s when we get back.
What did you have when you toured the world? Hard cases?

I went out of my way to get the hard cases but I'm sort of wishing I went with soft. Cheaper to replace in case of bike going down and no aluminum to bend back into shape...

Well that's write off ....all for not removing a side case. :eek:
He was lucky he didn't tumble the same way the bike did.

What did you have when you toured the world? Hard cases?

I went out of my way to get the hard cases but I'm sort of wishing I went with soft. Cheaper to replace in case of bike going down and no aluminum to bend back into shape...

Sorry, ninja-edited my post.

Yeah, the RTW trip was hard cases for security, or at least the perception of it. The reality is that you can break into any hardcase with a long screwdriver, just as easily as slashing a softbag with a knife.

These days, we're doing A LOT of dirt, and what I thought I'd be using the GS for initially has changed.

Frick, even thinking of putting knobbies on the Hypermotard... :unsure:🤣

jk. maybe...

You are right about the security,. It only keeps the curious hands out of your cases but if someone wants something really bad they will get it.
The locks on the hard cases are a nuisance as you always need to use the key to open them. Which is most likely attached to the key ring in the ignition.

You are right about the security,. It only keeps the curious hands out of your cases but if someone wants something really bad they will get it.
The locks on the hard cases are a nuisance as you always need to use the key to open them. Which is most likely attached to the key ring in the ignition.

Some do, others you can leave them unlocked. The old BMW vario cases I had could be left unlocked, as well as the GSA cases (Touratech Zega Pros rebranded), IIRC. Nice thing about the OE cases is one single key for ignition and luggage.

My current SW-Motech hardcases you need the key and can't leave them unlocked, probably like yours.

Correct, My Givi you cannot leave unlocked.
Well, you can remove the key but the latch will be in the locked position so you cannot latch it back onto the top cover part. But the key can be removed without fully closing and locking the case.

A friend of mine, rides with a spare key in key top case and just turns it the quarter turn to "lock" it.

Separate the keys. Ignition key on its own, all others together.

Yep, had one of these before bikes went keyless:

415YpFiplJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

That way your other keys don't scratch up the area around the ignition.

I only have 2 keys on my bike key ring.
Ignition and Givi cases.
If I seperate them I know I will loose one or the other.

and where are the spares ?? :unsure: 😜
2020 DL should have come with two and the Givi gear always does ...if you only have one key for the bike and lose that you can be in a world of hurt for cost to replace it.

••••••
In better news, dealer sez my Yammie should be ready tomorrow.
The Honda still on parts wait :sleep:

I have the low profile hard case coming from Amazon for the laptop.

Decided after looking at the Nelson Rigg tail cases to get the one to fit my laptop. I'm not sure what is happening to the rear seat...if it has to be removed entirely in which case this makes the most sense and far less ugly than a top case.
1727846139141.png
The thing expands like crazy
1727846239880.png so I can do shopping without resorting to the giant tank bag
The Nelson Rigg Commuter Touring Tail / Seat Bag is the perfect size for commuting through to multi-day touring. Made from premium UltraMax® fabric, it offers maximum UV fade protection and durability. The bag easily mounts to most tail sections and seats with quick-release straps. Its moulded EVA “carbon fibre-like” panel allows the bag to hold its shape, while the reflective piping and light grey lined interior enhance visibility and organisation. The bag is expandable and can fit a full-face helmet with a mesh pocket under the lid. The lockable reverse coil zippers and hi-density rubber zipper pullers add an extra layer of security. Inside, self-fastening straps secure your contents. The bag also features a flush mount reflective handle and protective base material. Additionally, a 100% waterproof rain cover and shoulder strap/backpack strap are included. Backed by a lifetime warranty, the Nelson Rigg Commuter Touring Tail/Seat Bag is designed for reliability and versatility.
1727846795685.png
I don't like that long strap but I'm also thinking I will mount it permanently where the buddy seat is which is techically the legal requirement, no foot pegs and no pillion seat.
That size will take my big camera bag as well.

Well the plan was to transfer ....tried three times ...no go. Finally got transport on the line and sorted the problem after 30 minutes....something with the mileage crumb_head_explode.jpg
So rode home in mild traffic...going to completely have completely rethink my storage options as cannot use the magnetic tank bags and not sure I can use the Nelson-Rigg case as Not sure I can lift my leg over it ...
All sortable....sysphis.jpg and the Honda is ready for pickup.
So $3481 all in with rego until mid Nov. Wonder if I should flip it ? :devilish:

Auuuugh...sat at the dealer for an hour trying to get the damn app to work for the transfer. Finally called in, waited 15 minutes for help and another 30 minutes as he walked us through.
Turned out there was a bug with the reported mileage and sale date ...even though the site stated 2,000 km cushion between sale date and road worthy ...he suggested we move the mileage beyond what we reported and it worked. Got there at 3pm - just got the bike home at 5....no time for a ride and I was sore from sitting on a hard chair trying to sort it.
Bike felt good BUT.....
Discovered none of my storage options would work as it's a plastic fuel tank...my bags are magnetic.

Even tho I did EXTREMELY well on move up ...like $200 out of pocket to move to a newer bike with nearly twice the power and 1/3 of the KM on it plus a new front tire.
The storage fixes are in the $3-400 for tank bag and $4-500 for rear storage.
Not one piece of my existing gear will work, I will probably end up with this storage... that was my last bike in Canada which Mimico bought..
I used it to cross Canada when I was 70. $534 !!!!! but better than hanging a butt ugly top case off the back which will cost just as much.

My old tank bag had an option for a magnetic or strap base and you'd zip the bag off the base; too bad it doesn't seem like yours has the option. I've also seen where magnets were glued to the underside of the plastics for attachment. As for the back luggage, what about soft luggage?

I'm considering glueing magnets on the tank for the small tank bag. The bottom of the small tank bag is flexible to conform to the shape of the tank. There are lots of quick connect plates for the MT3 around but all the bags are $$$
Screen Shot 2024-10-04 at Oct, 4    2024    1.35.18 AM.jpg
My problem with soft or hard luggage is getting my leg swung over the seat. I'm very stiff and not agile plus not that fond of the look of soft saddle bags. I'm hoping I can get my leg over the very slim case which is only 2" thick.....failing that just remove the pillion seat entirely which is bulkier than the one that was on the Honda. If I solve the laptop issue then cameras are okay on the smaller tank bag if I can work the magnets.

61+NmtWZzeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Not sure I'm up to mounting from the footpeg...old dogs n new tricks tho this is a slightly heavier and more stable bike than the Honda...so maybe. The Honda had a tendency to tip over on the side stand if the camber was wrong. The top case and tank bag ( my little 7L tank bag is silly heavy with camera, lenses, power brick, meds and snacks :rolleyes:) put weight up high.
I'll drug up in a few hours and try some mounting.
I can't recall how I got on the CB500x with side bags and a pillion bag. :unsure:
I do recall leaning way down beside the bike to get my leg very high. Maybe muscle memory will kick in.
Noraly and Marc both stick their leg out and hop forward to the seat get on their cramped riding space. :eek:

I'm considering glueing magnets on the tank for the small tank bag. The bottom of the small tank bag is flexible to conform to the shape of the tank. There are lots of quick connect plates for the MT3 around but all the bags are $$$
View attachment 70116
My problem with soft or hard luggage is getting my leg swung over the seat. I'm very stiff and not agile plus not that fond of the look of soft saddle bags. I'm hoping I can get my leg over the very slim case which is only 2" thick.....failing that just remove the pillion seat entirely which is bulkier than the one that was on the Honda. If I solve the laptop issue then cameras are okay on the smaller tank bag if I can work the magnets.

61+NmtWZzeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Not sure I'm up to mounting from the footpeg...old dogs n new tricks tho this is a slightly heavier and more stable bike than the Honda...so maybe. The Honda had a tendency to tip over on the side stand if the camber was wrong. The top case and tank bag ( my little 7L tank bag is silly heavy with camera, lenses, power brick, meds and snacks :rolleyes:) put weight up high.
I'll drug up in a few hours and try some mounting.
I can't recall how I got on the CB500x with side bags and a pillion bag. :unsure:
I do recall leaning way down beside the bike to get my leg very high. Maybe muscle memory will kick in.
Noraly and Marc both stick their leg out and hop forward to the seat get on their cramped riding space. :eek:
When you're at home, park the bike beside a box or step to make that part of your journey easier. That's not helpful while out though.

Back
Top Bottom