MacDoc's new ride MT3..naked bike questions. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MacDoc's new ride MT3..naked bike questions.

The short screen on the CB300
Screen Shot 2024-09-30 at Sep, 30    2024    4.59.07 PM.jpg
Did help keep wind pressure off my chest but will try without on the MT3 and see. Might actually have a couple of days of cross over ownership for a quick test.
Still thinking about my laptop storage :unsure:
I do have a very good sleeve I can strap on directly an even more a padded laptop bag that has travelled the world with me and the sleeve can go in that and that bag strapped behind me.
Really trying to avoid the top case.....buying an Air which is slightly smaller and might fit my big tank bag which in itself is pretty ugly.
This looks okay
1727681344968.png
and if I actually fix the laptop bag to the pillion permanently I can just slide the laptop out of the bag while still in its sleeve.
Or skip the bag and attach this to the pillion seat permanently with no straps
It's waterproof and well padded.

1727681979014.png

Last edited:
I ride "nakeds" and the wind isn't an issue till I hit 60-70mph.
But i want to remind you that if you install a windscreen, to remove the wind forces from YOU, those wind forces are now pushing down on your front suspension... so your pre-load increases/sag decreases with speed, in a non linear amount. A BIG windscreen can completely compress your front springs at speed.

Such a personal opinion as to none vs fly-screen vs barn-door.

What a friend of mine did was he bought a large piece of clear acrylic, cut it into the largest screen he could stand from an aesthetics-standpoint, mounted it on the front of the bike and went for a long ride in mixed conditions. Comes back, jots down notes and then cuts the screen down a couple more inches, go for a ride, rinse and repeat.

Once he's happy, he goes to the aftermarket and finds a factory-made screen roughly the same shape and dimensions or larger. Buys that one and then he can work with that screen to make micro adjustments, shaving it down further to match his personal comfort requirements.

Granted, it's a lot of work, but you'll be a lot surer that you're going to end up with a screen that matches exactly what you want and need.

The only issue with my see-thru barn door is that when it rains or is foggy, there isn't enough angle on the screen to allow for the rain drops to slide off to the side.
This makes it difficult to see through. I have needed to drop my screen down (thankfully its adjustable) and just rely on my helmet visor to protect me from the rain. Since the visor is curved the rain often would just slide off to the side.

Other than that. I love my tractor window.

Last edited:
MacDoc has a new ride. Yamaha 2017 MT3 with 20k km on it, Same seat height as the Honda, a bit heavier...feels like a bigger bike. With a 12k redline ....I'll get the occasional throttle thrill.
Amazing the power Yamaha gets out of 30 more cc. 42 HP vs 24.4 on the Honda.

My riding buddy approves and at least I have some power to keep up.
Screen Shot 2024-09-29 at Sep, 29 2024 8.11.57 PM.jpg

Is this a photo of your actual bike?

Nice, whatever the case. Good choice.

I'd go with it as is, no screen.

Is this a photo of your actual bike?

Nice, whatever the case. Good choice.

I'd go with it as is, no screen.
I'm with you. Low speed, lots of twistys I'd stick with no screen for a bit. If after a month I was fed up, I would consider a screen. Who knows, depending on geometry, sometimes the wind blast helps keep weight off your arms.

Thanks - the photos are from the web
The way the bike was tucked in beside his garage there was no way to get a decent pic tho I might today when he drops off the bike in about an hour for the road worthy.
This is the actual bike with the bent lever. The guys a senior school teacher, this was his first bike and he runs to being anal about things....aren't all teachers. Bike sounds terrific. Daily driven to school but he's never been many places around Cairns so I may have scored a riding companion ( he was up for that )...he was quite up for that. He's pretty new as a rider. The Gillies will be an adventure for him.
Screen Shot 2024-09-29 at Sep, 29    2024    3.21.00 PM.jpg
Slight possibility it will be ready later today which would be sweet as the CB300 is still in the shop waiting for $70 of parts for the roadworthy - should be finished this week. I've been paid for it. I have to deliver it to the buyer who is uber new older rider, never ridden before but his daughter has and the idea is to ride together.

Brake lever on the MT is likely a stock part or quickly available. There is no other damage than paint on the bar end....he was stopped and knocked over from behind. My dealer did the repair. Always could be some more stuff but a 2017 at 20k km and babied not likely major. Tires new last year, I suppose chain is possible but from the look of it not likely.

The sale was way under market at $2950 cash no tax so I have some room in the budget.

2017 Yamaha MT-03 ABS 321 (MT03LA) $5,495*

2016 Yamaha MT-03 ABS 321 (MT03LA)$4,795*

Excl. Govt. Charges

Not at all interested in a "big" screen. I was fine with the shortie on the Honda - just curious about others who ride without.
The speeding fines are so high here it is just not worthwhile and 100 is the max in this region. The Honda struggled a bit in a strong ( common) headwind off the ocean to stay at 110 indicated and the increased power will be welcome on this.
Few weeks back it was 55-75 kph in gusts for days in a row. I don't mind the wind except for the increased noise heading into it.
I try and time my rides and direction to take it into account so I can hear the audio book easily.
Bike has landed at the dealers so one hurtle crossed and they will let me know on inspection.

and if I actually fix the laptop bag to the pillion permanently I can just slide the laptop out of the bag while still in its sleeve.
Or skip the bag and attach this to the pillion seat permanently with no straps
It's waterproof and well padded.

View attachment 70051

I commute to work on my Duke with a M3 MacBook Air in this exact case. It gets stuffed into a Kriega US-20 tailbag, which is then strapped to the pillion seat. The laptop case does a reasonable job of distributing the pressure from the bag's straps and other random objects in the bag, but the squishing does mean that your keys will probably touch the screen.

Yeah small bugs around the cane fields are a nuisance and there are some size large beetles my visor has encountered. One left a chip.
1727743328951.png
I wear sunglasses and at speed close the visor for quiet. Always have IEMs or earplugs in.

Cleaning bugs off the visor vs cleaning them off the windshield is just a frequency thing. Still gonna have to do it, just more often off your visor.

The real benefit of a shortie or no windscreen is zero buffeting, which is the real killer for zapping endurance on a motorcycle, at least for me, personally. Everyone is different.

I generally wash the visor before every ride and bugs not really an issue here compared to Ontario. I concur on buffeting...especially with crosswinds.

Think I found my laptop solution

61+NmtWZzeL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Straps are removable and it just fits the 13" MacBook Pro. Waterproof71pOIGRLv8L._AC_SX679_.jpg
Only 1.5" high. Can always send it back to Amazon. Since the MT-03 is registered as solo rider ( big savings ) fixing it permanently over the pillion would be sweet.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new ride Mac.

I have a Nelson Rigg 40L drybag/knapsack and am pleasantly surprised with how well it's built.

For windscreens, I'm in the camp that having one is nice if you are looking to reduce neck shoulder soreness on longer rides. For shorter rides I prefer the naked feel.

Think I found my laptop solution

For the next long distance dirt trip, I'm going full softbags. Almost broke my leg and foot the last time I went down with hardcases. I was looking at that Finpac case you mentioned with interest.

So far, I think I'll just wrap all my clothing around the laptop, and keep it in the centre of the topbag. Seems to be the most secure solution for my needs so far...

Thanks ...have to wait a few days for safety -needs some stuff....front tire and rear master cylinder.
I have some Nelson Rigg gear and very please with quality and life time warranty. They have a pillion solution too but much thicker.

There are excellent sleeves - I often ride with just the sleeve on mine
813yyvHxdxL._AC_SY695_.jpg
71iD7HTy+qL._AC_SY695_.jpg

look for something with this style interior with the rubber bubbles
mine opens with double zippers and from the top as well. Really like the design but logo is worn off
Screen Shot 2024-10-01 at Oct, 1    2024    12.27.37 PM.jpg

Last edited:
For the next long distance dirt trip, I'm going full softbags. Almost broke my leg and foot the last time I went down with hardcases. I was looking at that Finpac case you mentioned with interest.

So far, I think I'll just wrap all my clothing around the laptop, and keep it in the centre of the topbag. Seems to be the most secure solution for my needs so far...
You would know this better than I do. Or at least have more expertise in this area but all the off-road riders always prefer soft cases.
The soft case acts as a cushion for the bike in case of a fall, and they don't crack or get damaged. And as you experienced are less likely to cause bodily harm.
The hard cases look cool and are easier use in terms of taking things in and out.

Then there is this example. Maybe a soft case would have help here. Maybe not.

You would know this better than I do. Or at least have more expertise in this area but all the off-road riders always prefer soft cases.
The soft case acts as a cushion for the bike in case of a fall, and they don't crack or get damaged. And as you experienced are less likely to cause bodily harm.
The hard cases look cool and are easier use in terms of taking things in and out.

Then there is this example. Maybe a soft case would have help here. Maybe not.

Yeah, the hardcases were a legacy thing. Originally going to do more pavement than dirt with the GS, since I already had an enduro, but over time that's changing.

Going back and outfitting the GS with Reckless 80s when we get back. Bigger version of what's on my enduro:

mosko-X2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom