MacDoc's new ride MT3..naked bike questions. | GTAMotorcycle.com

MacDoc's new ride MT3..naked bike questions.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
MacDoc has a new ride. Yamaha 2017 MT3 with 20k km on it, Same seat height as the Honda, a bit heavier...feels like a bigger bike. With a 12k redline ....I'll get the occasional throttle thrill. 😜
Amazing the power Yamaha gets out of 30 more cc. 42 HP vs 24.4 on the Honda.

My riding buddy approves and at least I have some power to keep up.
Screen Shot 2024-09-29 at Sep, 29    2024    8.11.57 PM.jpg

Now the CB300F it replaces was also a naked originally and I put windscreen and top case on
Screen Shot 2024-09-30 at Sep, 30    2024    3.49.42 AM.jpg
Thinking of avoiding one or both of those farkles on the MT.

Top cases inevitable look ugly on them. I have a small contoured Nelson Rigg tail bag
Screen Shot 2024-09-30 at Sep, 30    2024    4.04.22 AM.jpg
which will do for now and and a big 20/23L magnetic tank bag for occasional shopping trips plus my small 7 ltr which holds camera, gate opener, snacks and meds for daily rides. etc That should do for now
I had Shad 23 side cases on my CB500X I took across Canada and quite liked them and they fit my laptop. $299 for the set ...very affordable. Actually $500 including the P1 brackets...might be too much since not touring.
Screen Shot 2024-09-30 at Sep, 30    2024    4.10.46 AM.jpg

Windscreen is my biggest question. Is it needed.?
Rides are typically 100-300km with a few 100kph sections but mostly 60-80 kph roads and VERY strict and expensive enforcement.
Have good quiet helmets but wondered about windblast for those riding naked. 🍿

There is a Givi screen looks okay for $224 all in. The image is not cut off...the top is square as shown.

Screen Shot 2024-09-30 at Sep, 30    2024    4.38.14 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks and want to keep the look tho the Givi screen does not detract.
I'm still wondering if the short screens are effective. :unsure:
The muffler on the Honda is very dangerous....the heat is astonishing. Burned the zipper off my Joe Rocket jacket. Cost me $100 to get it fixed....can't put the cover on until it cools.

Thanks and want to keep the look tho the Givi screen does not detract.
I'm still wondering if the short screens are effective. :unsure:
The muffler on the Honda is very dangerous....the heat is astonishing. Burned the zipper off my Joe Rocket jacket. Cost me $100 to get it fixed....can't put the cover on until it cools.

I swapped a muffler out for a carbon one once because it kept burning through my pants. Couldn’t care less about the noise but the smell of burning nylon was getting a bit tiresome.

MacDoc has a new ride. Yamaha 2017 MT3 with 20k km on it, Same seat height as the Honda, a bit heavier...feels like a bigger bike. With a 12k redline ....I'll get the occasional throttle thrill. 😜
Amazing the power Yamaha gets out of 30 more cc. 42 HP vs 24.4 on the Honda.

My riding buddy approves and at least I have some power to keep up.
Screen Shot 2024-09-29 at Sep, 29    2024    8.11.57 PM.jpg

Now the CB300F it replaces was also a naked originally and I put windscreen and top case on
View attachment 70027
Thinking of avoiding one or both of those farkles on the MT.

Top cases inevitable look ugly on them. I have a small contoured Nelson Rigg tail bag
View attachment 70028
which will do for now and and a big 20/23L magnetic tank bag for occasional shopping trips plus my small 7 ltr which holds camera, gate opener, snacks and meds for daily rides. etc That should do for now
I had Shad 23 side cases on my CB500X I took across Canada and quite liked them and they fit my laptop. $299 for the set ...very affordable. Actually $500 including the P1 brackets...might be too much since not touring.
View attachment 70029

Rides are typically 100-300km with a few 100kph sections but mostly 60-80 kph roads and VERY strict and expensive enforcement.
Have good quiet helmets but wondered about windblast for those riding naked. 🍿

There is a Givi screen looks okay for $224 all in. The image is not cut off...the top is square as shown.

View attachment 70030
Nice choice. The extra power should be fun.

As for the luggage, I’ve become a real fan of soft travel luggage. I’ve been using a 70l strap on bag lately. It fits just about any bike, on and off easy, and I’ve packed big and odd sized stuff (cheep tent poles, retractable fishing rod, cross bow and arrows).

Yeah - one of the goals was more power...I've been steadily downsizing from the CB1000F as I've aged - now 19 days from my 60th Aniiversary of riding a motorcycle. :eek:
The CB500X was purpose bought for fuel economy, range and of course to a price point. It was wonderful and stable at 140 kph travelling across Canada when I was 70 and the fuel economy and range was outstanding.
What it sacrificed was any thrill at the throttle.
The CB300F continued that trend to smaller lighter and less power with wonderful fuel economy.
Decided that some throttle thrill was one of the goals for a new ride and since I got my asking price for the CB300F and a crazy good buy on the MT3....having some extra power is a real bonus.
I considered an older Fz6 but that was over the top for power and a decade older.
Getting a new bike with substantially more power ( and I like riding in the powerband - one reason I like inline 4s ) was an unexpected win.
It came on the market two days ago, the seller had a couple of queries but after a few hiccups in communication I'm hoping to be riding it tomorrow.
He was a new mature rider when he bought the MT3 new in 2017 and now wanted more.
I honestly don't think he will see much gain from the Ninja 500 ...51 HP vs 42 on the MT3 but hey - he's very well off and happy to move up.
I'm glad he did. ;)

Mike thanks
Not a fan of soft luggage but I'm not touring and not doing any overnight rides...a 6 hour day is all I can really manage with lots of breaks...most are 3-4 hour local rides. Fortunately the range roads here provide much fun all year round. The Gillies has 260 turns in 19KM and a 1500' elevation change plus now perfect pavement after years of nasty tar snakes
Screen Shot 2024-09-30 at Sep, 30    2024    6.35.11 AM.jpg
One thing this buy did not address was any off pavement ability which the 390 Duke would have given me a modest amount as well as a throttle thrill. Slightly bigger bike the MT-03 has a wider and more comfortable seat and that was major want.
There are also a lot of farkles on the market for the model.
I'm very likely to buy the windscreen shown above as modest cost and Givi quality.
Decide on any other storage later.

Last edited:
I’m interested in your review/thoughts after a few months.

I’ve always had a small displacement bike in the stable, I sold my ‘12 ninja 250 a few years ago and miss it.

Starting this year I’m planning to split the winter months between FL and Toronto. Im looking for something smaller but still freeway capable I can leave down south.

Congats enjoy, for some reason I thought you were leaning towards something red.

Mike thanks
Not a fan of soft luggage but I'm not touring and not doing any overnight rides...a 6 hour day is all I can really manage with lots of breaks...most are 3-4 hour local rides. Fortunately the range roads here provide much fun all year round. The Gillies has 260 turns in 19KM and a 1500' elevation change plus now perfect pavement after years of nasty tar snakes
View attachment 70031
One thing this buy did not address was any off pavement ability which the 390 Duke would have given me a modest amount as well as a throttle thrill. Slightly bigger bike the MT-03 has a wider and more comfortable seat and that was major want.
There are also a lot of farkles on the market for the model.
I'm very likely to buy the windscreen shown above as modest cost and Givi quality.
Decide on any other storage later.
I think the Yamaha will give you at least as much off-pavement capability as the KTM. Lower pegs and a more neutral riding position are key factors.

Congratulations. Nice find.

Nice congrats!

As for windscreens…I find the small ones do literally nothing. So unless you’re going full size…not worth the cost.

Yes the cases on your X were fantastic and I’d recommend them on any bike. Hell if I ever decide what to do with my super sexy Scrambler I may buy them again if I can’t my GIVI McGyver work.

Have good quiet helmets but wondered about windblast for those riding naked.

Clean air is always better than dirty air, (i've never put on a screen on a naked, and the screen on my touring bike was always noisy and turbulent) I've been a longtime enthusiast of the naked bikes, the windrush adds to the thrill of the ride, the physics of aerodynamics prevent you from excessive neck breaking speeds (not a foreseeable problem on a 300)

The ride is more physically taxing at highway speeds as you are fighting the push of the wind a bit, but thats all the more reason to exercise (and to keep to sane speeds)

Big Poppa
Dunno know about neck-breaking but top end on the MT-03 is
The Yamaha MT-03 can hit 108 mph top speed.
and will get there much faster than the 300 Honda... which tops out in theory at 106.

Which would given the draconian speed fines in Queensland leave me broke ( more broker even than now )
Speeding more than 40 kilometres over the limit will soon incur a fine of close to $1900.

sburns
Congats enjoy, for some reason I thought you were leaning towards something red.
I'm ALWAYS leaning to red but not fussy when the deal is good.

Lets see...Honda 305 Superhawk in the 60s - red
Yamaha 250 in the 60s red
KLR650 and ST-1100 in Australia both red.
CBF1000 - red and the CB500x mimico bought - I do like those top loading Shad cases.
1__#$!@%!#__1__#$!@%!#__1__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic.tiff
yeah there is a trend. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah - a red Honda D'Eauville in red - the only bike I made significant money on. Odd bird - it took Honda being boring to a whole new level.
Screen Shot 2024-09-30 at Sep, 30    2024    10.58.39 AM.jpg
Even my ride in Africa was red - that was a wonderful life for 3 months of the year for a few years after I had cancer and was recovering.
Pasted Graphic.tiff

Last edited:
I always like a big windscreen now, but it depends on your height, where you go and how fast you travel.
Doing 85 mph in the States definitely gets tiring in the wind.
For me, even doing 80 kph, I don't like the wind on my chest, and I have stubby legs and a long torso.

5' 8" and pear shaped...always had Madstad or similar but that was in North America.
Highway speeds are max 110 here and most riding for me is 60-80 kph.
I don't recall what Honda 300 was like pre windscreen. Will see how the MT-03 feels without. Glad there is an attractive and relatively low cost screen from Givi.

I said no soft luggage but this might work and will fit the MacBook Pro and give me uber visibility. $259 shipped with lifetime warrranty. Too large tho I think
1727662519210.png
this review made me laugh
1727663163328.png
Great Value, if you don't need to be a cool kid (or can't be)
Picked these up to use on my Super Tenere, for when I spend more time on dirt v. pavement, like a recent trip to Big Bend, in Texas. I like knowing soft bags are on the bike, when the likelihood of me dropping the bike (and having a bag and my leg meet) goes up. So, I looked at a bunch of bags that had significantly more name recognition and pedigree, but also carried a far higher price tag. Higher as in I can replace these bags multiple times and still have money for a burger. Honestly, I assumed a 50/50 proposition that I'd get these, they'd be shoddy construction and I'd return them for a pair of the aforementioned, cool-kid bags. Thankfully, there is no reason to. These work like a champ and while the straps are a little cumbersome, the package is very high value. So, on the positive side of the ledger, very good construction, the internal carrying bags come with it and in yellow, bears can see you coming from a mile away. On the down side, the strap mechanism means you should not put the spray inside the bag, if you anticipate the need to quickly blast said bear and keep him away from your Reuben sandwich. (Of course, you could just make the Reuben with pastrami, as bears love corned beef, but despise pastrami. Not well known outside the zoo community.).

Last edited:
5' 8" and pear shaped...always had Madstad or similar but that was in North America.
Highway speeds are max 110 here and most riding for me is 60-80 kph.
I don't recall what Honda 300 was like pre windscreen. Will see how the MT-03 feels without. Glad there is an attractive and relatively low cost screen from Givi.

Congrats on the new bike.

I also think that a short screen won't do much.
But than again. A tractor windscreen may be effective but look horrible on that bike.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom