January riders??..... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

January riders??.....

Yeah for eh - 54 degrees - but I'm on the ocean in Cairns :D

steady 33 day 24 night this time of year and cooler later

225678-cairns-esplanade-pool-cairns-australia.jpg

Thought this was relevant for cold temp riding, never saw the wind chill numbers for riding speeds before.

That table is useless when you ride a scooter with big arse windscreen

Rode to work today after 10mins of dithering about worrying about salt. No regrets. Felt great and was totally warm without needing the heated gear. Funny how 2 degrees in November feels so much colder than 2 degrees in January.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

Rode this past Sunday. Will likely ride Thurs Friday and Sat this week. The challenge I have is never the temperature but that it can be +5 in the city but snow squalls where I live. I don't like getting stuck in snow drifts (being tall my bike is hard to push while on it.)

..Tom

Got home and then went out again shopping and banking. Just gorgeous out - sunny tho windy - was nice coming back with the wind. Felt like a regular late fall day. Was showing 8 on the bike temp gauge but likely more like 6.
- glad to get some riding in before I wrangle the ST1100 down the range roads - the Gillies has like 200 turns in 19 km and even the Kuranda Road where I pick up the bike has it's share of twisties
It really is SS heaven.
The KLR was a pain. The ST will be better.

BIG_M_753.jpg

'The Big M': A network of four mountain passes linking the Barrier Reef Coast to the Cairns Highlands - from twisty, involving switchbacks to wide sweeping turns - ascending from dense, moist lowland rainforest to cool, high cloud rainforest – and a Motorcycling Natural High.

http://www.bikingaustralia.com/the_region.htm

Oh hell this looks good

Wed ‎Thu ‎Fri ‎Sat

‎Overcast
‎Wind: S at 10 km/h
‎Humidity: 60% ‎14° ‎0° ‎11° ‎-1° ‎11° ‎2° ‎14° ‎1°
‎Detailed forecast: The Weather Channel ‎- Weather Underground ‎-

Last edited:
I took the subway to work for most of last week. Forgot how ****ing boring the subway is. Went back to ridng this week.

I'm going to be taking my bike out this Saturday with the weather looking pretty good. For those who ride during the winter, any tips / advice? I'm worried about the salt on the roads but I'll most likely wash the bike after the ride.

I can't wait, think I'll be taking her out more often when it's 0+ degrees out LOL!

wow ! ....got home bout 8:30 and it was +4 deg.c. , ...rds were dry ...thats all i needed to go :)
did about 70 kms of tdot and dvp....had to force my way back to parking her !

Ima head out again any time its above +2 deg.c. and rds are dry.
I take it waay easy in the corners but can easily hit straight accels after rear warms a bit, i dont count on rear for any quick stops tho :)

My last ride was Christmas eve so ive been off for awhile ( for me).
Reminds me of sled riding... almost !
Can't wait to get home tomorrow....hour by hour forecast is saying 3 deg.c. @ 9 pm.
Ride her easy peeps...and if she's easy....well ........whateve !:cool:

The nasties if it's near zero is ice in the shady areas and almost anywhere there is a layer of fine slippy gravel dirt built up in the corners that can be like marbles.
Was really bad on one corner today - had to tiptoe around - just means taking it easier and paying attention.

Major highways no issue but there might be more grit blowing about. Other than that it's just your gear and comfort level.
I know it's a good day when my mind wanders and I just ride without thinking about the ride or the conditions - today was good that way. No cold spots except the wind under the visor once was chilly.

But if you don't have decent gear anything above a few KM may not be fun so you have to decide what to spend on. Hands are number one - poly long underwear is cheap and comfie - I was just in those and my light riding pants today - did not bother with the rain pants. But I have a lot of leg protection anyway.
Keeping the speeds in the 60-80 kph reduces the chilly aspect but today 110-120 was no issue at all.

It feels great to get out tho. :D

Streets are mostly dry downtown Toronto today, with no (or very little) salt residue. Was a fine ride into work this morning, just needed to stay out of the curb lane, the curb sides are a bit wet from the melting snow. Only see 1 other bike parked on Temperance steet so far this morning. Lots of parking available here this time of year.

I ride year round.. if the roads are clear and dry..I am out.. as far as the cold..I just dress in layers.. and it's a beauty of a day out there today..so yes...I will take full advantage. Cheers! :)

I'll be out this weekend.

Long enough to fill/stabilize the tank, wash her, and put her in the shed. :<

The snow on Boxing day has delayed putting the bike away proper, but the warm temps have/will thaw out the path to the shed.:(

I've been out riding since Monday. You would see me on a cruiser with a half lid. lol
Anyways I didn't see anyone out, but one other VTX cruiser on St.Clair.
All you need is a pressure washer at home and spray every week. lol

Back
Top Bottom