Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 504 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I WAS planning on going for a ride…turns out wife had a free day also.

So I’m now working on the Reno 😢

1727708367881.jpeg

Installation of fibreglass lath ongoing :(

I came home last night and noticed my credit card smoldering on the counter.

My wife surprised me by pulling the trigger on the hardwood flooring we had been eyeing.

I'll be crawling around laying planks for the next few weeks.

Not sure if this is the right spot to put this or not. I've got a basement full of tools and machines from a retired mechanic / machinist (my father). Lathe (12 or so feet long), Craftex Milling machine, drill presses, Arbor Presses, English wheel, band saw, Arc Welder, etc, etc. Miscellaneous steel supplies (bars, sheets, etc). If you have any interest, let me know. All equipment is in the basement, but there is a walk out. Located near Canada's Wonderland.lathe 1.jpglathe 2.jpg

Not sure if this is the right spot to put this or not. I've got a basement full of tools and machines from a retired mechanic / machinist (my father). Lathe (12 or so feet long), Craftex Milling machine, drill presses, Arbor Presses, English wheel, band saw, Arc Welder, etc, etc. Miscellaneous steel supplies (bars, sheets, etc). If you have any interest, let me know. All equipment is in the basement, but there is a walk out. Located near Canada's Wonderland.View attachment 70083View attachment 70084
I'm going to regret this...but can you send me a DM with what's available...I'm sure my dad would be interested in some of it.

So happy I have no space . I could make 10yd bins of shaving with a lathe like that. And make all my nieghbours hate me more . That setup is awesomeness.

I keep seeing big equipment like this sold by the pound . Lots of life in it , just doesn’t fit how a machine shop operates these days . I’d love to own a lathe like that .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

So happy I have no space . I could make 10yd bins of shaving with a lathe like that. And make all my nieghbours hate me more . That setup is awesomeness.

I keep seeing big equipment like this sold by the pound . Lots of life in it , just doesn’t fit how a machine shop operates these days . I’d love to own a lathe like that .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
My dad just bought this 1200lb monster, and at least he sold his 200-300lb smaller lathe to some other grandpa that wanted it for his shop.

Was just at his house earlier this week loading it OUT of the shed and into the van...

I should do an inventory of what he's got there, and when we find time he said he'll show me what his new toy can do.

Mom's away on vacation, so there's a lot of movement of tools (purchasing / selling) so she's none the wiser...

Learn from your dad.
Send your wife on vacation and buy that second bike.
You think she will notice when she gets back?😂😂😂

My dad just bought this 1200lb monster, and at least he sold his 200-300lb smaller lathe to some other grandpa that wanted it for his shop.

Was just at his house earlier this week loading it OUT of the shed and into the van...

I should do an inventory of what he's got there, and when we find time he said he'll show me what his new toy can do.

Mom's away on vacation, so there's a lot of movement of tools (purchasing / selling) so she's none the wiser...
A friend and his wife had a tit for tat relationship. If he got a new drill she got a new table lamp or a room painted.

He stored new purchases at a neighbour's place until they lost the new look. "Honey, I've had it for ages"

What I didn't tell you was that we recycled another old lathe that had been in pieces for 25 years in the garage. 3000 lbs. Got $200 from the recycler. I figure my father has another couple thousand pounds of steel lying around the house.
Some tools fall out of favour. I know a high school teacher that heard that the shop was scrapping a shaper, a glorified battering ram with a chisel on the front. He spent weeks cleaning it up and then tried flogging it off at tool suppliers.

No one was even slightly interested so he pulled the motor and sent it to scrap.

Some tools fall out of favour. I know a high school teacher that heard that the shop was scrapping a shaper, a glorified battering ram with a chisel on the front. He spent weeks cleaning it up and then tried flogging it off at tool suppliers.

No one was even slightly interested so he pulled the motor and sent it to scrap.
Shaper, horizontal mill, turret drill and a few others can still do good work but most of them are likely headed for scrap. Like a radial arm saw, you can get similar work done with newer, smaller, lighter, more versatile machines. Also like the radial arm saw, there are some tasks the old dinosaurs do that can't be exactly matched by their replacement machines.

So with the cooler weather upon us...one thing I've never really paid attention to is winter maintenance for the gas tools (lawn mower, trimmer, gas blower, etc). Typically just fill them up and leave them with fuel stabilizer.

But I think it's time to get on that. Any special / tips you all have for this? Lawn mower is a 4 stroke so that'll def need an oil change. Also I found last year there was so much gunk thrown up by the blade...it had about 1-2" of grass cuttings stuck in there. So that's one item I'm 100% doing.

Recommendation on filling with fuel and stabilizer? Or letting it run and die out so it's 100% dry?

Back
Top Bottom