Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 503 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I needed a brass hammer for a project then a copper hammer , buying scrap at metal super market let me make a basic club head , my small wood lathe made an acceptable handle . Nobody from Lee Valley is going to call for samples , but you can beat stuff and leave no marks .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Woods metal hammers are cheap and soft. Make a mold and cast it yourself in any shape you want. When it gets beat up, just melt the head off and recast. Melting point is only 70C.

Now for your first projects:

1) Simple metal scribe. You need 5/8" x 8" aluminum rod for the barrel, and a tungsten welding tip (tig consumable) for the scratch point.

2) Machinists hammer. Many tutorials on YouTube.
In high school machine shop we were given the option of making a hammer or screwdriver.

The next year, at the request of the TTC, we were only allowed the hammer. It seems that those that made screwdrivers were disassembling the interiors of the streetcars on the way home.

In high school machine shop we were given the option of making a hammer or screwdriver.

The next year, at the request of the TTC, we were only allowed the hammer. It seems that those that made screwdrivers were disassembling the interiors of the streetcars on the way home.
I suspect the request may be reversed now. So many kids are aholes and not just curious. The hammers may be a bigger issue for TTC. I'm not sure where my knurled screwdriver is. Making it Phillips #0 was a huge mistake. Not the most useful screwdriver.

Last edited:
Sometimes I take the car out of the garage and rely on the power opener light for a bit too long. Then I'm left in the dark hunting for the auxiliary light switch.

I sprayed them with glow in the dark paint so I at least have a direction. I may still trip over something but at least I'll be pointing in the right direction.

Sometimes I take the car out of the garage and rely on the power opener light for a bit too long. Then I'm left in the dark hunting for the auxiliary light switch.

I sprayed them with glow in the dark paint so I at least have a direction. I may still trip over something but at least I'll be pointing in the right direction.
You can always replace the switch with a lighted one....

I don't know if I am lazier or less lazy. I hung a solar powered motion activated security light inside the garage. You wouldn't want to use it to do work but it's more than enough light to navigate.

I don't know if I am lazier or less lazy. I hung a solar powered motion activated security light inside the garage. You wouldn't want to use it to do work but it's more than enough light to navigate.
I have smart switches everywhere. “Hey Google, turn on the lights”.

I received a Paper Birch tree free of charge as part of a Mississauga program.

I’d like to make this into 2 or 3 as some people had their neighbours sign up and got 4-5 instead of one.

Is there a way to take a branch off or make something extra grow from the single tree?

1727366520696.jpeg

This might be in your wheelhouse @shanekingsley

I received a Paper Birch tree free of charge as part of a Mississauga program.

I’d like to make this into 2 or 3 as some people had their neighbours sign up and got 4-5 instead of one.

Is there a way to take a branch off or make something extra grow from the single tree?

View attachment 69964

This might be in your wheelhouse @shanekingsley
White birch is easy to propagate, shove 6" of a cutting into damp ground and I'll bet 1/2 or more (maybe all ) will root and sprout leaves in spring.

Alternatively, you can root your cuttings in pots using a sterile medium like plain old sand.

Lots of propagation videos on YouTube.

But why bother? White birch is easy to find once you reach the coniferous (pine) forests. Birch are the first trees to the party after a pine forest is burned or logged. Bring a shovel.

Thanks @oioioi . Lab is looking a little better now.

20240926-195941.jpg

So how many cables you have left ? 15??
Lol

So how many cables you have left ? 15??
Lol
I didn't count. There are still more projects requiring cables (a few amplifiers, a few studio monitors and I don't remember what else).

For the sense wires for the hp supply, I thought about being lazy and using network cable or thermostat wire but I felt bad so I went into deep storage and grabbed some canare twisted pair with a nice soft sheath.

Ok I'll bite , what does that lab do ?
Whatever I want. I like to be able to fix things. This makes it easier. That shelf has soldering iron, hot air gun, 3 dc power supplies, one isolated variac, multimeter and the old Simpson I use for testing small batteries before chucking them. I don't need three simultaneous power supplies but I found the hp for cheap and it is stable, four wire and accurate past three decimal places. Sounds like a jet engine though as if the limits you set are exceeded, it sinks the output as heat instead of relying on an unreliable relay to save the day.

There is more equipment in the bench and more to come. It gets added as I find it at a price I am willing to pay.

The shower doors were looking beyond shabby. I assume they were baked enamel from 35 years ago and powder coat would have lasted longer.

Anyway, they got a superficial scrub and spray paint yesterday. Fresh caulking today and they will be presentable until the spring. Hopefully by then the Mrs will have made up her mind what she wants.

Back
Top Bottom