Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 491 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

For post holes, I know people can be "violently opposed" to digging by hand but...

When doing just a handful a good technique with the hand clam-shell digger is to take a sawzall first with a pruning blade (my go-to for many things) and run it around inside the hole, then dig out that loose soil and cut roots, repeat. The last run when you hit 4 feet is a bit of a reach but is doable. Soil type will vary the effectiveness. I would not do an entire fence but real world I can do at least four holes quicker and easier on the body than renting a machine, getting it, setting it up, taking it back...

For post holes, I know people can be "violently opposed" to digging by hand but...

When doing just a handful a good technique with the hand clam-shell digger is to take a sawzall first with a pruning blade (my go-to for many things) and run it around inside the hole, then dig out that loose soil and cut roots, repeat. The last run when you hit 4 feet is a bit of a reach but is doable. Soil type will vary the effectiveness. I would not do an entire fence but real world I can do at least four holes quicker and easier on the body than renting a machine, getting it, setting it up, taking it back...
Agreed. The main problem is that Kevin loved his concrete...some posts have a concrete base...some don't. I don't want to move the posts as there's a gas line around too which I need to be careful with. I've had it mapped out before by ProMark but may get it remapped again...just in case.

This is an approximation...red is the gas line. As you can see my fence is already about 1ft out toward City of Mississauga property, and if I want to even out the fence now...I'd have to be about 2ft out from the neighbour.

1721662298218.png

Any tips/tricks for getting rid of ants in the yard? We haven't had an ant problem in the few years since building this house but this year there's small ant hills throughout the yard and they're coming into the house in a few spots to get crumbs the little human freeloaders drop. Traps have effectively helped indoors but have been mostly useless outdoors.
I've heard boiling water could work but have yet to try that.

Deck is due to get another coat of oil based stain but I have a couple small green mildew spots to get rid of. I know the deck brightener product usually works but I just have 4-5 of these small spots to clear and was wondering if there’s a homemade alternative.
IMG_5591.jpeg

Bosch actually makes an SDS tile removal bit, its angles about 30deg so you keep your fingers off the floor
Dad has one…it’s outstanding.

Apparently hes welding 2 pieces together so we can break down Kevin’s concrete better moving forward….

Always McGyvering…

Any tips/tricks for getting rid of ants in the yard? We haven't had an ant problem in the few years since building this house but this year there's small ant hills throughout the yard and they're coming into the house in a few spots to get crumbs the little human freeloaders drop. Traps have effectively helped indoors but have been mostly useless outdoors.
If you are looking for something non-toxic diatomaceous earth has worked OK for me in the yard but it is not instant and you need to know where the nest is. You cover and around their entrance/nest and you reapply after rain etc. You can buy in bulk at garden centres instead of smaller name brand versions at big box. Basically it kills ants that walk through it by impacting the exoskeleton, if you cover/surround the nest the ones that go through it eventually die and the nest eventually dies/starves out as the population dwindles.

For nests in stone walkways etc. this stuff seems to work pretty good, but again you need to apply it a few times, inject it into the nests:

It does not get them all but if you wait for the next small mound and hit that spot the nest dies out.

Various borax mixtures have not worked well for me, neither have the usual traps. Boiling water will kill off the upper portion of a nest but not usually the lower as they are designed not to flood.

Molten aluminum works first time every time and makes cool art. Peta probably hates you if you go that route and it's definitely not the cheapest option.

Last edited:
I have one of those sprayers you pump up to get pressure. I fill it with vinegar to kill weeds on the patio etc. I've also stuck it right over the any hill hole and blasted it, they have no come back (to that area) But I am sure there are many other equally effective ways.

I know some of you are in the Alexa ecosystem and I've had mine since day one ( before it was set up in Canada ) and have accumulated a few devices.
I must admit the Apple Home Pod sounded better but then they dropped the big one and it was stupid money.
I just picked up the Echo Studio and I don't miss the Home Pod ( not able to bring to Australia )
The Studio is a big jump up
Got it in white which I like better ....
1721791279994.png

Voice in particular is excellent and lots of space in the sound despite single source. Leonard Cohen sounds great.
Easiest thing to set up ever....plugged it in and it was ready in 3 minutes without my doing anything.
I can use it as an external BT speaker as well.

I know some of you are in the Alexa ecosystem and I've had mine since day one ( before it was set up in Canada ) and have accumulated a few devices.
I must admit the Apple Home Pod sounded better but then they dropped the big one and it was stupid money.
I just picked up the Echo Studio and I don't miss the Home Pod ( not able to bring to Australia )
View attachment 68928

Voice in particular is excellent and lots of space in the sound despite single source. Leonard Cohen sounds great.
Easiest thing to set up ever....plugged it in and it was ready in 3 minutes without my doing anything.
Turn off the ability to voice order. Less of a problem for you but still worth doing to remove the annoyance. If you ask it to play xxx, Alexa will say that she found it on Amazon music and would you like to subscribe. Any random person saying yes gets you a recurring monthly charge.

View attachment 68928

I considered these but they never go on sale unlike the regular full-size Echo’s which often go to $79. Watched a review that found two Echo’s had similar performance to the Studio so I went with 2 in the gym, 3 on the deck (with ceiling mounts), and singles where I don’t have in-ceiling speakers. 2-3 Echo’s sound far superior to a single unit.
I’d be tempted to still try the Studio if it goes on a good sale.

I considered these but they never go on sale unlike the regular full-size Echo’s which often go to $79. Watched a review that found two Echo’s had similar performance to the Studio so I went with 2 in the gym, 3 on the deck (with ceiling mounts), and singles where I don’t have in-ceiling speakers. 2-3 Echo’s sound far superior to a single unit.
I’d be tempted to still try the Studio if it goes on a good sale.
I have a Studio for the kids play room. Imo it sounds like poo and I wouldnt buy another one. Probably a little more bass than echos but I have no love for it. It fulfills its roll but I won't be buying another one.

I’m having with my Google Minis. I always try to have music running but wife and kids don’t like it…so 3 minis later they barely see any use.

But the sound is good enough for my non audiophile family.

Back
Top Bottom