Dougie's latest plan | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dougie's latest plan

HOV can create an oddity. Technically it is not the "fast"/passing lane the regular far left lane is. But now MANY people driving in the left lane think they are not in the passing lane as there is a lane to their left, so they plod along. The HOV itself is not intended as a passing lane...

Back to education of the drivers.
For a decent percentage of drivers, the hashed hov separation is indistinguishable from a dashed line.

I haven't digested it yet but it beats the 407 deal.

Well... the HOV isn't meant to be an autobahn lane lol
I routinely see cars doing waaaayyyy over the posted 100kmh limit in the HOV on the QEW.
It's as if people think that if the left lave is for passing then the HOV lane must be for passing the passers... Lol.

As for educating... I'd be happy if you were made to take and pass an IQ test in order to get a license.
It’s the same highway, the HOV is there for you when it’s moving faster than traffic in the other lanes’. Having 2 people in your car doesn’t exempt you from moving right if you are slower than the lanes to your right.

It’s the same highway, the HOV is there for you when it’s moving faster than traffic in the other lanes’. Having 2 people in your car doesn’t exempt you from moving right if you are slower than the lanes to your right.
On a slightly related note, does anyone know how autopilot treats the hashed lane marker? The majority of vehicles I see ignoring the line are Teslas. I don't know if that's entitlement or if they are on autopilot and it doesn't care about the lines?

HOV can create an oddity. Technically it is not the "fast"/passing lane the regular far left lane is. But now MANY people driving in the left lane think they are not in the passing lane as there is a lane to their left, so they plod along. The HOV itself is not intended as a passing lane...

glad someone else gets it.

Funny how many people think since they’re in the HOV lane they can drive 100-110 while traffic on the right is going 120+.

Super frustrating as there’s almost zero lane discipline here.

I’ll just into HOV at the start, and if I see it’s going same as the right lanes I’ll pop back in so I can actually move lanes as required to keep moving.

Too many idiots think policing the speed limit is their god given right.

Looking at you mom…

The HOV lane is not it's own 'highway within a highway'. There is no 'fast/passing lane' per see. The rules of the road are that you move to the right if traffic is moving faster than you -- doesn't matter if you're in lane 2, 3, r or an HOV lane.

The HOV lane has no exemptions from HTA 147.1, it only has restrictions on who may use it.

Another thing, the HTA does not allow you to hog a left lane if traffic is moving faster than the posted speed limit.

So. be a good driver -- if you are slower, move right. Enforced or not, that is the law.

From the HTA:​

Slow vehicles to travel on right side​

147 (1) Any vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (1).

Problem with the above expectation of the HOV is you can get kms of 'do not cross' lane markings.

People who travel in HOV to use it as the fast lane are shooting themselves in the foot. Imo

Treat it for what it is intended for, a reward for car pooling, which typically results in a lane that moves better, not faster.

Problem with the above expectation of the HOV is you can get kms of 'do not cross' lane markings.

People who travel in HOV to use it as the fast lane are shooting themselves in the foot. Imo

Treat it for what it is intended for, a reward for car pooling, which typically results in a lane that moves better, not faster.
That may work in traffic. We all see people daily that park in the hov lane at 100 when there are many other lanes that could get them there at the same time. Keep right except to pass is law, hov lane is optional.

That may work in traffic. We all see people daily that park in the hov lane at 100 when there are many other lanes that could get them there at the same time. Keep right except to pass is law, hov lane is optional.
Sure do. I have no issue passing them on the right, nor should anyone else. It is not the passing lane it is the HOV lane.

Sure do. I have no issue passing them on the right, nor should anyone else. It is not the passing lane it is the HOV lane.
And according to the law that Mike quoted, if you are travelling at less than the speed of traffic, you must move right. Being in the lane is optional, moving right is not. To comply with the law you must be travelling at or above the speed of traffic AND have two or more people or a green plate. People treat it as OR but that's not what the law says.

Last edited:
And according to the law that Mike quoted, if you are travelling at less than the speed of traffic, you must move right. Being in the lane is optional, moving right is not. To comply with the law you must be travelling at or above the speed of traffic AND have two or more people or a green plate. People treat it as OR but that's not what the law says.
Read it carefully 'less than normal speed of traffic' is that the posted limit? One could argue the 404 normal rate is 140 these days. Like all laws it's vague.

I treat the passing lane like this, if I'm going above the limit and actively passing people you can ride my ass all day I'm not moving over for you. The minute I'm not passing anyone ill move over for people behind me.

Read it carefully 'less than normal speed of traffic' is that the posted limit? One could argue the 404 normal rate is 140 these days. Like all laws it's vague.

I treat the passing lane like this, if I'm going above the limit and actively passing people you can ride my ass all day I'm not moving over for you. The minute I'm not passing anyone ill move over for people behind me.
Cops say flow of traffic. Explicitly not speed limit. They can and have ticketed for driving the speed limit when you could move right. Here is an OPP officer saying that even if you are exceeding the speed limit in the left lane, if you are being passed on the right or impeding traffic, you are in the wrong.

If someone has the room to pass you on the right, you are on thin ground arguing that you couldn't have moved over. It takes much less space to move over and let someone pass than it does for them to move over, pass and get back in.

Back
Top Bottom