Dougie's latest plan | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dougie's latest plan

I did the math once and increasing the speed means an individual car spend less time on the highway but increased speed means more space between cars. The loss /gain is negligible.

If Dougie wants to do something, improve driver skills by more stringent testing and shutting loopholes ie road test in your area code. Police the higher hanging fruit.

And before the poop hits the fan over the greenbelt fiasco.
Are people pooping over the green belt too?

I did the math once and increasing the speed means an individual car spend less time on the highway but increased speed means more space between cars. The loss /gain is negligible.

If Dougie wants to do something, improve driver skills by more stringent testing and shutting loopholes ie road test in your area code. Police the higher hanging fruit.
No test on 400 series highway should put a condition on your license that you can't be on a 400 series highway. That's half of Brampton banned from the highways on day one. Sure, lots will run anyway but alpr is shooting fish in a barrel. Hell, when the highway is blocked for a crash, have a handful of cops walk back through the pack handing out tickets. No where to run.

Do the math again.

Q=v×D where:

Q = vehicle flow (vehicles per hour)
v = speed of vehicles (kmh)
D = density of vehicles (vehicles per o kilometer)

Turn out density doesn’t change at the same rate as speed. Density at 60kmh is 40, at 80 it’s 35, at 100 it’s 30 and 120 it’s still 30.

So, at:
60, a lane flows 2400 cars/hr
80 is 2800
100 is 3000
120 is 3600

The critical factor is keeping flow rates high, that depends mostly where the speed limit is and eliminating bottlenecks (lights, lane restrictions) Higher speed limits permit higher initial flows which delay or eliminate the onset of congestion.

No test on 400 series highway should put a condition on your license that you can't be on a 400 series highway. That's half of Brampton banned from the highways on day one. Sure, lots will run anyway but alpr is shooting fish in a barrel. Hell, when the highway is blocked for a crash, have a handful of cops walk back through the pack handing out tickets. No where to run.
I’d go further.

Demerits on a G2 and no 4xx highways.

6 demerits sends you back to day 1 of your G2.

Most of Ontario speed limits were assigned in the '70s and '80s, when a shoulder belt was the height of driver safety equipment and we were panicking over oil embargoes
Safety equipment and car design has got so much safer since then... what does "where it safe to do so" mean? Any road that was "safe" at 100kph in 1982 is safe at 130kph in 2024... statistically

What makes our highways unsafe is us

150km on a 110km stretch of road will have your bike impounded, your license suspended, a hefty fine and insurance premium increase/cancellation . 150km or 50km which ever comes first -The cops, tow truck companies and impound yards have both ends covered!

150km on a 110km stretch of road will have your bike impounded, your license suspended, a hefty fine and insurance premium increase/cancellation . 150km or 50km which ever comes first -The cops, tow truck companies and impound yards have both ends covered!
In the GTA?

Most of Ontario speed limits were assigned in the '70s and '80s, when a shoulder belt was the height of driver safety equipment and we were panicking over oil embargoes
Safety equipment and car design has got so much safer since then... what does "where it safe to do so" mean? Any road that was "safe" at 100kph in 1982 is safe at 130kph in 2024... statistically

What makes our highways unsafe is us

Case in point: most highways in Europe are 130 km/h and they do just fine

My RSV4 does that in 1st gear. Literally.

The critical factor is keeping flow rates high, that depends mostly where the speed limit is and eliminating bottlenecks (lights, lane restrictions) Higher speed limits permit higher initial flows which delay or eliminate the onset of congestion.

Does all that math account for the guy doing 73kmh in the center lane..?

Traffic would be better if people could drive better, but it's too easy to get a license and most of us drive like we're the only one that matters.

Does all that math account for the guy doing 73kmh in the center lane..?

Traffic would be better if people could drive better, but it's too easy to get a license and most of us drive like we're the only one that matters.
Nope. That's a restrictor.

Zero enforcement of lane rules in Ontario. I drive a 20km stretch of the 404 daily. Dump trucks use the center lane at 100kmh, never the right. Twice this week I've seen cars running 100 in the new HOV lane, while traffic to their right was clipping along at 115.

I wish they would educate people using those new signboards.

Nope. That's a restrictor.

Twice this week I've seen cars running 100 in the new HOV lane, while traffic to their right was clipping along at 115.

I wish they would educate people using those new signboards.

Well... the HOV isn't meant to be an autobahn lane lol
I routinely see cars doing waaaayyyy over the posted 100kmh limit in the HOV on the QEW.
It's as if people think that if the left lave is for passing then the HOV lane must be for passing the passers... Lol.

As for educating... I'd be happy if you were made to take and pass an IQ test in order to get a license.

As for educating... I'd be happy if you were made to take and pass an IQ test in order to get a license.
That's an understandable but dangerous path. IQ doesn't improve significantly with age. An IQ test in public school could be followed by sterilization and no drivers license. The logic is similar. Besides, lots of smart people are just aholes and bad drivers.

HOV can create an oddity. Technically it is not the "fast"/passing lane the regular far left lane is. But now MANY people driving in the left lane think they are not in the passing lane as there is a lane to their left, so they plod along. The HOV itself is not intended as a passing lane...

Back to education of the drivers.

Back
Top Bottom