Buddy crashed this morning! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buddy crashed this morning!

speaking of braking. in motogp when a racer brakes his rear tire is barely touching the ground. meaning 100% front brakes. is that really the best way to brake? just wondering...

Hmmmmm....lets see...

Road rash...or flying head first on to asphalt, another car, tree...

Yes...you can stop the bike better on two wheels no argument there...but some situation I would never stay on the bike...TUCK AND ROLL!

speaking of braking. in motogp when a racer brakes his rear tire is barely touching the ground. meaning 100% front brakes. is that really the best way to brake? just wondering...

That's a very specific circumstance. But overall the front does provide the most stopping. Something like 80-90%.

I doesnt matter what you wear or drive sometimes, I have had someone pull a U turn in front of me while driving a full size van. They were coming in the other lane maybe 20 FT from the front of me and bam, U turn. I hit him in the drivers fender and door wrote the car off scratched the van bumper, just glad it wasn't my bike.

Have you hit a car before?

I have...and he is right. The way our laws are written, a good driver , who does his best to avoid the actual impact of a collision, will be found guilty of a single vehicle accident if the other driver lies thru his teeth, or high tails it outta there.

A good driver would aim for a ditch or open field instead of the car....but if you don't actually hit the other car, you will be charged for "leave roadway unsafe manner".

Same deal if you " had to lay'er down"...you fell BEFORE the impact, so the cop and car driver could argue that you were already crashing before the car was involved. They would say YOU slid into the car.

HorizonXP is 100% right.
Never lay the bike down. Crashing to avoid a crash is ridiculous. Anyone who does this is simply a bad rider, or at the very least, unprepared. You always have more opportunity, and chance to find an escape path when the bike is rolling, upright, on two wheels. WHile braking and steering, you at least have some chance of accident avoidance. The moment you succumb to "having to lay 'er down, you have 100% guaranteed that you will be involved in a crash.....and a high probability exists that you could be charged.

A bike will stop in a much shorter distance on rubber tires, than plastic and metal skimming along the asphalt......and has anyone given any thought to what may happen when the cage behind you runs your *** over when you "lay 'er down"? Human speed bump anyone?

STOLEN FROM TRIUMPHRAT BOARD:

Have you heard this before? Its a phrase used by someone who crashed a bike, and tries to justify his bad riding by explaining that in the midst of an impending accident, he elected to somehow get the bike to fall onto its side, and slide along the road - rider alongside. There's a guy at work who thinks he knows how to ride, and during discussions about biking he keeps telling me that one of the first things "they" taught him was to "lay a bike down." When I asked at lunch today what the correct technique is to physically get a motorcycle traveling upright in a straight line to suddenly fall over onto its side and slide along the road, he couldn’t answer right away. After some thought, he suggested that he would slam the rear brake on, causing the rear tire to slide, and simultaneously turn the bars to “lay her down.” I suggested that this in fact would probably induce a high side that would eject him from the bike instead. A that point he looked confused, and answered with a “well, thats what they taught me.”
“They” could be anybody - mom, dad, uncle who think they know how to ride and simply are passing on bad information.
I “laid her down” is simply another meaning for “I crashed, and the bike fell over.”
A rider should maintain control of his/her cycle at all times. Personally, I would rather bring my bike to a controlled emergency stop, before ever find myself picking it up off the ground. Good riding technique includes constant, and monitored awareness of your surroundings - adjusting your speed, position, correct gear and acceleration to avoid an emergency BEFORE it ever happens. Most modern bikes have tremendous braking power. Learn how to perform a correct, progressive emergency stop that uses the maximum potential of your front braking capacity. An upright motorcycle at maximum braking force will stop much faster that one sliding sideways on plastic and steel down a roadway. Not to mention having a 500 lb bike on top of your legs while skimming down the asphalt is going to hurt.....

Last edited:
Hope your buddy feels better.

To the post above ^^^

Don't forget, once you do an emergency stop, you need to look for an exit in case traffic behind you hasn't realized you've come to a stop.

Drivers are so careless. I remember walking along the sidewalk and seeing someone wave goodbye to their departing friend, try a U-turn, and come within 6" of getting his nice new yellow Honda smashed to pieces.

Be it in a car or on my bike, when I see a car with lights on at the right side of the road, without a right turn signal indicator on, I will give them a loud honk with my double horns. There is really nothing you can do on a bike, given the offending car is hidden amongst other cars.

Hopefully the OP's friend is not too hurt.

I have...and he is right. The way our laws are written, a good driver , who does his best to avoid the actual impact of a collision, will be found guilty of a single vehicle accident if the other driver lies thru his teeth, or high tails it outta there.

A good driver would aim for a ditch or open field instead of the car....but if you don't actually hit the other car, you will be charged for "leave roadway unsafe manner".

Same deal if you " had to lay'er down"...you fell BEFORE the impact, so the cop and car driver could argue that you were already crashing before the car was involved. They would say YOU slid into the car.

HorizonXP is 100% right.
Never lay the bike down. Crashing to avoid a crash is ridiculous. Anyone who does this is simply a bad rider, or at the very least, unprepared. You always have more opportunity, and chance to find an escape path when the bike is rolling, upright, on two wheels. WHile braking and steering, you at least have some chance of accident avoidance. The moment you succumb to "having to lay 'er down, you have 100% guaranteed that you will be involved in a crash.....and a high probability exists that you could be charged.

A bike will stop in a much shorter distance on rubber tires, than plastic and metal skimming along the asphalt......and has anyone given any thought to what may happen when the cage behind you runs your *** over when you "lay 'er down"? Human speed bump anyone?

STOLEN FROM TRIUMPHRAT BOARD:

Have you heard this before? Its a phrase used by someone who crashed a bike, and tries to justify his bad riding by explaining that in the midst of an impending accident, he elected to somehow get the bike to fall onto its side, and slide along the road - rider alongside. There's a guy at work who thinks he knows how to ride, and during discussions about biking he keeps telling me that one of the first things "they" taught him was to "lay a bike down." When I asked at lunch today what the correct technique is to physically get a motorcycle traveling upright in a straight line to suddenly fall over onto its side and slide along the road, he couldn’t answer right away. After some thought, he suggested that he would slam the rear brake on, causing the rear tire to slide, and simultaneously turn the bars to “lay her down.” I suggested that this in fact would probably induce a high side that would eject him from the bike instead. A that point he looked confused, and answered with a “well, thats what they taught me.”
“They” could be anybody - mom, dad, uncle who think they know how to ride and simply are passing on bad information.
I “laid her down” is simply another meaning for “I crashed, and the bike fell over.”
A rider should maintain control of his/her cycle at all times. Personally, I would rather bring my bike to a controlled emergency stop, before ever find myself picking it up off the ground. Good riding technique includes constant, and monitored awareness of your surroundings - adjusting your speed, position, correct gear and acceleration to avoid an emergency BEFORE it ever happens. Most modern bikes have tremendous braking power. Learn how to perform a correct, progressive emergency stop that uses the maximum potential of your front braking capacity. An upright motorcycle at maximum braking force will stop much faster that one sliding sideways on plastic and steel down a roadway. Not to mention having a 500 lb bike on top of your legs while skimming down the asphalt is going to hurt.....

Im with this guy + 1000000

Option 1 - lay it down and slide into a car destroying your bike and still hurting yourselfs, possibly being charged for losing control and sending your bike into traffic.

Option 2 - React and brake as much as possible with our amazing brakes and or avoid the car and possibly avoid the accident all togeather.

Option 3 - As someone said jump off your bike tuck and roll and ghost ride it into oncomming traffic, im sure that wont land you in jail.......:lmao:

Im gonna go with option 2. Obviously there are some situations where nothing can help, I was in one a couple weeks ago where a guy pulled right infront of me, But " laying it down " is ****in retarted. like i always say with drivers women panic and men react, so react boys quit riding like nancys. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, youll be saying to yourself wow i didnt know my bike could stop that fast.

HorizonXP is 100% right.

I do agree with you about the laws. However, I would not purposefully crash into any object at speed, animate or inanimate, in order to ensure my insurance premiums do not go up. I will try to take action based on the situation, preferably avoiding a collision whether by emergency braking, swerving, even lowsiding or a combination of the three.

I think that I can safely say that in your collision with a car that insurance/charges were not a concern in your head prior to the impact. Correct me if I am wrong.

The rider took action based on the particular situation and is alive much like you are! That is really what is important in the end.

Last edited:
I'd have to go with maximum braking and stay on it.
Easy on the Burgman as both brakes are in hand and there is a lot of crushable stuff up front.

I'd likely be launched tho as the seating position is rocking chair and no amount of bracing will hold me in the bike.

But the guy I bought my seat from hit a deer broadside at 60 mph and not only walked away but drove ( admittedly a bit wobbly ) the Burgman home 600 miles. Killed the deer, wrote off the Burgman but might not have been the same if he laid it down as at that speed spinning into oncoming traffic is always a risk.

UTurns really are killers and anytime I see a car and driver lurking in that position it's slow down, high beams and horn.
Now admittedly you can't anticipate it all but 43 years and haven't hit anything or been hit yet.

I'd vote for stay up and on the brakes - those are very powerful tools and all it takes a bit of crushable delay to save you.

If you had time to lay it down you had time to brake hard. It's not easy to lay a moving bike down as the forces are against it.

Glad the rider was okay and until we're in the same position who is to say.
If it was wet as was likely then perhaps there was no choice.

Last edited:
I suggest reading Proficient Motorcycling by David Houghs
there's a lot of information regarding how to handle unnavoidable crashing.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

In March, on of my first rides around the block almost nailed a car. (3 lane street, Eglinton / Kennedy) Old lady in far right lane driving along, me about 50 feet behind and in far left lane with no one else on the road for about 70m behind. All of a sudden, she cuts over all 3 lanes and around a median and makes an illegal U.

As I was riding along, and she cut the first lane I was like um ok its just a bad lane change without signal, nope continues, and as soon as her front tire was in the next lane I was like WTF, I rolled off the throttle and squezzed the brakes and now shes cutting the 3rd lane and looked at me finally and she passed in front of me with about 20 ft to spare.

I know it was early in the season, but I was surprised that it was a 3 lane cut

***Also was wearing one of these***

http://www.nucleus-online.com/products/dc-encore-p48495.php

I find it has the "cool" factor over a vest lol

It scares me that so many riders out there would voluntarily release control of their vehicle before a crash.
Would you jump out of your cage too, or would you try and stop before hitting something?

Try, slow down - at least you'll be off the bike at a some what slower speed over just jumping off at the speed your riding at

As much as some of you think you could full out emerge brake in the rain in a spit second, I think you would likely end up on the ground. And thats pretty much what happened. I dont think he wanted to lay it down, but the front wheel slid wide during breaking, thus causing the bike to go down. All that really matters is that he is doing ok, but it could have been alot worse. The lady that pulled the U was charged.

Hope he gets good so you can ride with him / ride your new ride as well. Things like this can put off some people to ride. Ride safe.

Lady charged is a + I guess.

In the case of my accident, I _was_ speeding (probably 60-65 km/h) and the u-turn occurred about 15 feet in front of me. I've ridden bikes all my life, so instinct kicked in and emergency braking took place almost immediately. I t-boned the car near the driver's door, and my gf's weight and my weight all went forward. Guess where most of the energy was absorbed? That's right, my handlebars digging into my legs/groin.

Once that ripped clear, we were still flung over the hood and came to a mangled stop a good 20 feet from his car. I tried to get up, but of course couldn't. Your suggestion "if you're going to run into the car, RUN INTO THE CAR" makes me wince in pain, and I don't recommend that advice to anyone!

Made me wince too. I've been thrown 25 feet and landing on cement and bouncing is not fun. Six year later and I still hurt.

OP hope your buddy feels better soon.

Last edited:
I hope your buddy is alright and gets better soon - he did what he thought was best at the time.

What really scares me is people preplanning falling off their bikes. I have ABS on my current bike.

I did a nice flip a few years back when someone ran a stop sign and then stopped in front of me. Locked up the rear, the bike came around and then I released it. Ouch. Didn't hit anything except the pavement. Bike had $100 damage from the light and speedo housing breaking and the left peg being crushed.

Last edited:
Hope your friend is ok.

But lets get one thing straigh...accidents happen and bikes are a worse place to be whent it hits the fan. I'm not sure how much more of the cager bs i can take. You know what the roads are like, and you make a choice every time you saddle up. Either accept it or take the car.

I'm absolutely serious.

What speed do you think you'll contact the car if you are on the brakes? 100 km/h? 50 km/h? Unlikely. You will likely be travelling anywhere from 10-30 km/h when you contact the car, provided you were on the brakes and kept it upright.

Then what? Are you hitting the car? No, your bike's front end probably will. That's a good amount of metal and plastic that will absorb a bunch of the impact. Now, it's not like a car, which is designed with crumple zones, but it's not like our bikes are built like tanks. Your front end will shatter and go flying in a bunch of pieces, much like F1 cars do. Again, even more energy absorbed, thus not affecting you.

The remaining energy? Yeah, that'll be transferred into you somehow. That will hurt, and it will suck. But guess what? You did everything possible to stop in time, and it didn't work, and you minimized the amount of energy you absorbed.

And the shining light in all of this is that because you maintained control of your vehicle, and you hopefully had witnesses, you will not be charged. The other driver will be, and their insurance will be ponying up for the repair of your bike, and for your rehabilitation. Your insurance will remain unaffected.

I agree, it's crappy that we have to do this to be deemed not at fault, but it's the game we play and these are the rules.

Don't like it? Then by all means, slip and slide all you want. Just don't whine when you have to deal with the ticket, the insurance hike, and the repair of your bike. Oh, and the injuries you likely sustained.

Me, I'll take my chances and keep physics on my side, and keep it on 2 wheels.
agree

Back
Top Bottom