Buddy crashed this morning! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buddy crashed this morning!

nothing changes. Had a cage pull a U turn less than 10 feet in front of me some 20 years ago. Good thing I was already braking for the stop ahead. Full braking applied, but contact still made, bike stopped, fell, I jumped clear, stayed on my feet. Lots of witnesses stepping off the bus saw it. Cager charged.

A bike stops better on it's tires than on it's side.

Guys, if you're going to crash, do NOT lay the bike down. Learn how to emergency brake please. Slow, progressive, and firm application of the brakes are key. You stop fastest when you're on two wheels. That said, if you're going to run into the car, RUN INTO THE CAR. That way, you can actually get insurance on your side. As it stands right now, your buddy will be deemed at fault since he couldn't maintain control of his vehicle.

Tell me you're not serious please. From what I read, the rider did the emergency braking thing. I'm sure the damage on the car and the police report will be on his side..

Tell me you're not serious please. From what I read, the rider did the emergency braking thing. I'm sure the damage on the car and the police report will be on his side..

I'm absolutely serious.

What speed do you think you'll contact the car if you are on the brakes? 100 km/h? 50 km/h? Unlikely. You will likely be travelling anywhere from 10-30 km/h when you contact the car, provided you were on the brakes and kept it upright.

Then what? Are you hitting the car? No, your bike's front end probably will. That's a good amount of metal and plastic that will absorb a bunch of the impact. Now, it's not like a car, which is designed with crumple zones, but it's not like our bikes are built like tanks. Your front end will shatter and go flying in a bunch of pieces, much like F1 cars do. Again, even more energy absorbed, thus not affecting you.

The remaining energy? Yeah, that'll be transferred into you somehow. That will hurt, and it will suck. But guess what? You did everything possible to stop in time, and it didn't work, and you minimized the amount of energy you absorbed.

And the shining light in all of this is that because you maintained control of your vehicle, and you hopefully had witnesses, you will not be charged. The other driver will be, and their insurance will be ponying up for the repair of your bike, and for your rehabilitation. Your insurance will remain unaffected.

I agree, it's crappy that we have to do this to be deemed not at fault, but it's the game we play and these are the rules.

Don't like it? Then by all means, slip and slide all you want. Just don't whine when you have to deal with the ticket, the insurance hike, and the repair of your bike. Oh, and the injuries you likely sustained.

Me, I'll take my chances and keep physics on my side, and keep it on 2 wheels.

Then what? Are you hitting the car? No, your bike's front end probably will. That's a good amount of metal and plastic that will absorb a bunch of the impact. Now, it's not like a car, which is designed with crumple zones, but it's not like our bikes are built like tanks. Your front end will shatter and go flying in a bunch of pieces, much like F1 cars do. Again, even more energy absorbed, thus not affecting you. .

I truly don't mean to offend you, but I think you're ommitting that you will most likely be ejected from your bike even at 10-30km/h. If you impact an object head on, your whole body will move forward, and if you don't release the bars, your shoulders will raise as your body hinges on the bars, potenially causing you to impact the vehicle head first.

if you do let go of the bars, your hands will continue to travel forward as will the rest of your body, probably causing leg injuries as well.

I don't see how that benifits the rider at all. If you're wearing the proper gear, it will at least provide abrasion resistance, as opposed to an impact.

I truly don't mean to offend you, but I think you're ommitting that you will most likely be ejected from your bike even at 10-30km/h. If you impact an object head on, your whole body will move forward, and if you don't release the bars, your shoulders will raise as your body hinges on the bars, potenially causing you to impact the vehicle head first.

if you do let go of the bars, your hands will continue to travel forward as will the rest of your body, probably causing leg injuries as well.

I don't see how that benifits the rider at all. If you're wearing the proper gear, it will at least provide abrasion resistance, as opposed to an impact.

best is to probably not brake, instead, raise hands, stand up and jump up. let bike go out between your legs and hit the car. after you jump you will land feet first then tuck and roll.

In the case of my accident, I _was_ speeding (probably 60-65 km/h) and the u-turn occurred about 15 feet in front of me. I've ridden bikes all my life, so instinct kicked in and emergency braking took place almost immediately. I t-boned the car near the driver's door, and my gf's weight and my weight all went forward. Guess where most of the energy was absorbed? That's right, my handlebars digging into my legs/groin.

Once that ripped clear, we were still flung over the hood and came to a mangled stop a good 20 feet from his car. I tried to get up, but of course couldn't. Your suggestion "if you're going to run into the car, RUN INTO THE CAR" makes me wince in pain, and I don't recommend that advice to anyone!

^ +1

HorizonXP, is it possible you may have skipped a few of those physics classes? ;)

best is to probably not brake, instead, raise hands, stand up and jump up. let bike go out between your legs and hit the car. after you jump you will land feet first then tuck and roll.

Could be a hard option if you have a high sack or back rest, but I'm with you, I'm ditching if I can. Otherwise, I'm going in locking the rear and pumping the front until I'm airbourne or pavement surfing. That is why I wear my gear :)

it depends on the speed. In my case I jumped off after the bike stopped. Either way...rubber provided better friction against the road than metal.

Yer kidding right?

might not work for everyone in every situation, but anyone remember back in 07 or 08, a gixx 750 rider did that when a minivan turned left in front of him. he walked away fine. i met him at parkview bmw, apparently he's a sales guy there. and he told me the tale. there's a pictures of this bike wedged in the minivan in an online article somewhere.

I'm just picturing this in my head. Of course in my mind after you land in your feet and come to a stop the terminator gets out of the car and just keeps coming at you on foot....after tossing your wrecked bike off the hood of the car with one hand.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

might not work for everyone in every situation, but anyone remember back in 07 or 08, a gixx 750 rider did that when a minivan turned left in front of him. he walked away fine. i met him at parkview bmw, apparently he's a sales guy there. and he told me the tale. there's a pictures of this bike wedged in the minivan in an online article somewhere.

And he currently rides a black 08 gsx-r 750. Met him at the beer market last summer. Name was Gary I believe, gave me his BWM buscard, but I tossed that aside, I'm a GM guy. ;)

if only i could control the outcome of a crash....well, I just wouldn't crash in the first place then! WOW!

if only i could control the outcome of a crash....well, I just wouldn't crash in the first place then! WOW!

And you can. With the power of positive thinking, your mind can do anything you want.

Whatever you guys want to think, the fact is, you have a better chance of stopping the bike on two wheels than you do sliding on the side. Rubber to asphalt friction is greater than plastic/metal to asphalt.

Whatever you guys want to think, the fact is, you have a better chance of stopping the bike on two wheels than you do sliding on the side. Rubber to asphalt friction is greater than plastic/metal to asphalt.

No argument there I'd say.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

^ +1

Each situation is different, and in a lot cases you have a second to take action.
You can type all the stuff about jumping over the car, or hitting it and staying on the bike... but when that car cuts out in front of you...

Back
Top Bottom