Breaking in brand new tire stories? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Breaking in brand new tire stories?

I would be amazed if they say anything other than "ride with due caution for a period of time".What we need in this thread is someone with lots of experience with lots of different tires under lots of different bikes under all kinds of conditions.Hmmm?

oh hmmmmmmm, who could that be

I have to disagree, I really think these tires need breaking in. They are not freakin SUPER DIABLOS 9000'S, they are actually just a cheaper tire. It really does feel like I am riding in oil slicks especially in turns. Feels like the bike wants to collapse, I am used to turning hard in town and stuff and I can tell you from my experience, these tires need breakin' in. :)

Wrong cold tires dont affect me as much as new tires....I have never crashed like that due to a cold tire...I do alot of crashing and know the difference...

I can drift on a cold tire, but not a new one...Not right away.....

And in Jamaica there is no such thing as a cold tire!

I've got a lot of experience with the pilot power I know the Canadian distributor personally and use these tires a lot in many different situation

I'll stick by the statement that the tire has the most grip from new, if it is at temperature.

I've run them with the label sticker still on them coming off tire warmers in cooler track conditions(I've used them as an intermediate wet weather tire as well)

The tire offers the same grip right out of pit lane as it would with 5-6 scrub laps.

I'm willing to put this theory to testing if anyone cares to participate.

Feels like the bike wants to collapse, I am used to turning hard in town and stuff and I can tell you from my experience, these tires need breakin' in. :)

They might also feel that way because they aren't square like your old tires were. It could be that the rider needs to be broken in, not the tires. Not saying that as fact, it's just an idea.

I've got a lot of experience with the pilot power I know the Canadian distributor personally and use these tires a lot in many different situation

I'll stick by the statement that the tire has the most grip from new, if it is at temperature.

I've run them with the label sticker still on them coming off tire warmers in cooler track conditions(I've used them as an intermediate wet weather tire as well)

The tire offers the same grip right out of pit lane as it would with 5-6 scrub laps.

Next year...when I mount my new set of BT016's again....you're on. LOL. First brand new set I put on..did the same as Johnny...like ice at the end of the driveway. This year...I decided to test it. The DR will pull the front up no problem when you crack the throttle.....but not with new BT016's...spins like ice! Once they're scrubbed in...up it comes again.

They scrub in within a few corners though.

I'll take you up on that, but without warmers....As that is the conditions I think the OP is asking about...Street tire on the street no warmers?

I need a new tire in about the next week, and its going to be another Michelin PP....I just dont want to crash and break my clipon again just to prove a point...And it would be hard to do a biased test, as I ride differently when I know that I have a new tire. Only because it has bit me in the *** in the past...So it would be very hard for me to try and ignore the fact I have a new tire, and hammer it while leant over right out of the driveway...Not the pits!

if at operating temperature is the key

Paul, I've got a new set of them at home, bring that lump over and I'll show ya.

that couple of corners generates heat, which is where the traction comes from, not the scrubbing of some mysterious surfaces coating.

Last edited:
Next year...when I mount my new set of BT016's again....you're on. LOL. First brand new set I put on..did the same as Johnny...like ice at the end of the driveway. This year...I decided to test it. The DR will pull the front up no problem when you crack the throttle.....but not with new BT016's...spins like ice! Once they're scrubbed in...up it comes again.

They scrub in within a few corners though.

+1 on both accounts......Feels like riding on ice at first.....but scrubbed in within a few easy corners....

I've got a new set of them at home, bring that lump over and I'll show ya.

Best take something like this to the testing facility! Seriously thou when I put my new tire on in about a week, Im going to try to remember to make a video. Showing the difference in how a new cold tire reacts compared to the same brand and model cold old tire. I just hope I dont hurt myself for the greater good of GTAM....

Im actually trying to think of a test that can be done without me crashing the bike...All the good ones end with me on my ***...A straight line rear brake lock up distance measurment wont be realistic I think...

I would be amazed if they say anything other than "ride with due caution for a period of time".
Wonder why they would ever say that instead of "naw, ride them out the bike shop like it was a starting line at mugello" mabey because it a liability? If I made a tire that did nit require any brake in I'd advertise that ad a selling point.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Best take something like this to the testing facility! Seriously thou when I put my new tire on in about a week, Im going to try to remember to make a video. Showing the difference in how a new cold tire reacts compared to the same brand and model cold old tire. I just hope I dont hurt myself for the greater good of GTAM....

Im actually trying to think of a test that can be done without me crashing the bike...All the good ones end with me on my ***...A straight line rear brake lock up distance measurment wont be realistic I think...

Put the training wheels back on the bike.

+1 on both accounts......Feels like riding on ice at first.....but scrubbed in within a few easy corners....

are you getting to full lean in these few easy corners?? probably not, so parts of the tire will still be untouched, yet these areas will provide traction as well.

If you were to take the temperature of the tire after the "few easy corners," the use a tire warmer to heat them to that temp, they would provide the same traction right out of the driveway.

Would it help if a few of us were there to salute you if you fall......you know in respect for what your doing for the gtam goers? ; )

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I found the article in the March 2011 cycle world magazine. I'll get it posted real soon.

Last edited:
Most current tire makes have not been using mould release for years, The chrome/polished moulds are so good they don"t need it any more.
That is not to say some companies still do not use old moulds with a release compound. But not usually on newer tires today.
One thing nobody gets is how many miles do street guys put on tires? Now you put a new front and rear,, you don"t think the carcass is different?
The new tire has a stiffer carcass and probably proper air pressure.So now you boot out of the drive way and it spins up. Well the carcass is stiffer ,less contact patch. The sponge you took off that has "god knows how many miles" probably flattened right out under load. Next time check the flexability of the side wall of a new and old tire.
So street riders hate new tires. Racers love new tires. They ride newer tires all the time and check air pressure daily, if not per session.
Now we get into the ,,"oh I'll take it easy for a few miles',,,,, So you go into a corner and roll off, real gentle then unload the suspension which unloads the tires and bang you go down. HAving no idea what happened except you put new tires on so lets blame them.
New tires are like amazing stiction. But ride them or ride them like you're on ice. NO in between. Why do racers go out on new tires with stickers and giv it! Casue they can! but be too hesitant and you'll be taking soil samples!

Back
Top Bottom