Breaking in brand new tire stories? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Breaking in brand new tire stories?

Not for a while. I've got about. 1,500-2,000km on these. That pic was after about 60km

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

when you need new ones installed, bring them to me, I'll install them, and we'll do a little demonstration.

when you need new ones installed, bring them to me, I'll install them, and we'll do a little demonstration.

What's the rule here about posting pdf's here? I'm sure I got a cycle world mag from a few months back with an article about new tires. I totally don't know what the article says. However it think it would be great to post something like that in this thread. Like I said I read the article but really I don't remember ANYTHING it said.

its just in your head.

tires never have more grip available than when they are new.

Tire manufacturers do not use slippery release compounds any longer so the idea of using sand paper to remove it is not a valid one.

Sorry but I have to really dissagree on this, Ive crashed pulling out of my garage after putting a new pilot power rear on. Got too exited and forgot about the new tire, got on the gas hard and the rear stepped out so fast I highsided...And I love sliding the rear! so stepping out a bit isnt something that would normally spook me.....

Last year my freind did the same thing, got too exited becase we put on a bunch of new parts + a new rear tire...Went around the back of the shop, got on that gas and pitched it...Bike landed on his big toe and he couldnt ride for 4 months...

Then just last month in Jamaica, freind put on a new set of Dunlop qualifiers....Again got on the gas hard in front of a crowd out of exitement and pitched the bike.

New tires are slippery for a short while, untill I at least scracth the surface a bit....And I dont use anything other then soapy water to mount them, so there is no chemicals to make them slippery...

Im talking purely about street tires, dont have enough experience with any track tires to comment on those..But you cant convince me new pilot powers arent slippery right out of the box....Even the fronts need to be worn in a little before I can start smashing stoppies without the front pushing on me....Were as a worn in one I can smash a stoppie from cold

Last edited:
its just in your head.

tires never have more grip available than when they are new.

Tire manufacturers do not use slippery release compounds any longer so the idea of using sand paper to remove it is not a valid one.

Sorry but I have to really dissagree on this, Ive crashed pulling out of my garage after putting a new pilot power rear on. Got too exited and forgot about the new tire, got on the gas hard and the rear stepped out so fast I highsided...And I love sliding the rear! so stepping out a bit isnt something that would normally spook me.....

Last year my freind did the same thing, got too exited becase we put on a bunch of new parts + a new rear tire...Went around the back of the shop, got on that gas and pitched it...Bike landed on his big toe and he couldnt ride for 4 months...

Then just last month in Jamaica, freind put on a new set of Dunlop qualifiers....Again got on the gas hard in front of a crowd out of exitement and pitched the bike.

New tires are slippery for a short while, untill I at least scracth the surface a bit....And I dont use anything other then soapy water to mount them, so there is no chemicals to make them slippery...
Ill say this, that's not due to new tire, that's cold tire.

Ill say this, that's not due tonew tire, that's cold tire.

Wrong cold tires dont affect me as much as new tires....I have never crashed like that due to a cold tire...I do alot of crashing and know the difference...

I can drift on a cold tire, but not a new one...Not right away.....

And in Jamaica there is no such thing as a cold tire!

Ill say this, that's not due to new tire, that's cold tire.

but yours is due to being new, lol wow

New tire crashes even look and sound different...

I know everyone is going to comment on his lack of skills but this is a new tire crash...See how easily the tire walks around on him with very little throttle.......Look how easily it comes around the other way and doenst even make a sound....Thats new + cold, just cold would not be as bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

Yes a cold tire will also have less grip, but a cold new tire is slippery like no other!

Sure if you put it on warmers its not going to be as bad....The point is right out of the box a new tire can put you on your *** like nothing else...Ive done it, and yes its very embarrassing to admit I crashed because of a new tire and stupidity, and I wouldn't admit to it unless I was trying to prove a point...

Last edited:
What kind of knuckle dragging response it that? If I'm aware of operating temp that why would I undermind that fact for m own tires?

operating temp? what kind of temperature do you think your tires get up to on the street?

operating temp? what kind of temperature do you think your tires get up to on the street?

What are you looking for an actually temp? Here's an ideas why don't you touch your tires after you ride them around for a bit and touch them. You tell me if there warmer then they were doing nothing in your garage over night.. this has got to be the only place I've ever heard anyone ever say you don't need to scrub tires.

What are you looking for an actually temp? Here's an ideas why don't you touch your tires after you ride them around for a bit and touch them. You tell me if there warmer then they were doing nothing in your garage over night.. this has got to be the only place I've ever heard anyone ever say you don't need to scrub tires.
Even in Keith codes cornering bible it states not to try maneuvers such as snapping your bike or heavy braking with cold un-scrubbed tires. Ill listening to Keith code before random people on an internet forum. The o.p. must be slamming their head off the table right now with all of these arguments on this thread.

OK I guess its time to email a few tire company's and ask if there is any break in required for their tires.

Dunlop and Pirelli do not use mould release agents of any kind.
Michelin does on their street tires but not for their race tires.

IIRC.

Dunlop and Pirelli do not use mould release agents of any kind.
Michelin does on their street tires but not for their race tires.

IIRC.

I'm sure I read that somewhere as well. Like I said their was a good little article in one of my cycle world mags stating that, but they also gave good cause for scrub in. I don't know if I can post a scan of that here or not. If so ill find it and post it if its not breaking and rules here. I remember while back a user here was asking for a scan of an article from a magazine and other user said it wasn't a good idea for some reason.

OK I guess its time to email a few tire company's and ask if there is any break in required for their tires.

I would be amazed if they say anything other than "ride with due caution for a period of time".What we need in this thread is someone with lots of experience with lots of different tires under lots of different bikes under all kinds of conditions.Hmmm?

Back
Top Bottom