Breaking in brand new tire stories? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Breaking in brand new tire stories?

Uberfetus

Just got new tires after having tires that were probably the most beaten tires ever. But now after I feel like I am riding on oil slicks all the time I want my old tires back hahaha. Any tricks other than using one of those break in tires insantly machines people use to get through the new tire hump?

its just in your head.

tires never have more grip available than when they are new.

Tire manufacturers do not use slippery release compounds any longer so the idea of using sand paper to remove it is not a valid one.

Seriously they aren't doing it anymore? When I picked up my new bike a few months ago I was told to take it easy on the tires for a bit..

There's no better feeling than new tires on any of my bikes.With new tires on the trackbike,i take one lap and then go gonzo.The Hypermotard is just like any other streetbike.Take it easy for the first few kms and all is well.It's in your head.The only thing slippery on the tire is maybe some bead lube from the guys hands that mounted the tire.The advice to "take it easy" is a liability disclaimer.

Last edited:
Seriously they aren't doing it anymore? When I picked up my new bike a few months ago I was told to take it easy on the tires for a bit..

Yeah they all say that. Basically for the ride home don't snap your bike into any corners or get to close to any cars you might hit while breaking. By the time you get home your tires are good. Find an empty lot too snake them to full work them in.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

g. By the time you get home your tires are good. Find an empty lot too snake them to full work them in.

You lost me there for a second. Do what in an empty parking lot?

its just in your head.

Tire manufacturers do not use slippery release compounds any longer so the idea of using sand paper to remove it is not a valid one.

Sweet! When did they start not doing that?

its just in your head.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one! Tire manufactures still use mould release agents to release the tire from the mould. Things might have gotten better where as it's not so bad, but you can FEEL the slick on new tires. You can even find tonnes of videos online with newbies and new tires washing out the rear wheel.

Continental Road Attack 2 is one of the first tires that just got released this year that isn't using a mould release agent to extract their tires. These tires do not require a break in period, they call it "Traction Skin." I haven't heard of any other manufactures using this process so they're still doing it the old school way!

From Conti: Traction Skin: the revolutionary new micro-roughness of the tread optimizes the mechanical adhesion and offers the safest, fastest break-in period in the market

OP, I would take it easy for the first 100km.. when I got my new tires, they definitely felt squirmy but after 100km, they were grippy as ever!

Just got new tires after having tires that were probably the most beaten tires ever. But now after I feel like I am riding on oil slicks all the time I want my old tires back hahaha. Any tricks other than using one of those break in tires insantly machines people use to get through the new tire hump?

The only "break-in" period there has been was getting the release compounds off the tire. Scrubbing the tire is a process that should be complete by the time you get home, or else you should be trying harder.
As reciprocity suggests, looks like the slick release compounds are no longer used, so this procedure is relegated to tradition rather than necessity.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one! Tire manufactures still use mould release agents to release the tire from the mould. Things might have gotten better where as it's not so bad, but you can FEEL the slick on new tires. You can even find tonnes of videos online with newbies and new tires washing out the rear wheel.

Continental Road Attack 2 is one of the first tires that just got released this year that isn't using a mould release agent to extract their tires. These tires do not require a break in period, they call it "Traction Skin." I haven't heard of any other manufactures using this process so they're still doing it the old school way!

From Conti: Traction Skin: the revolutionary new micro-roughness of the tread optimizes the mechanical adhesion and offers the safest, fastest break-in period in the market

OP, I would take it easy for the first 100km.. when I got my new tires, they definitely felt squirmy but after 100km, they were grippy as ever!

The noobs you speak of are not crashing on tires that are slippery from mold release, they are crashing on tires that lack grip as the are not at operating temperature.

If you put that brand new tire on a tire warmer and heated it to operating temperature the tire will provide the most grip the second it comes of the tire warmer when it is brand new.

This applies to street tires as much as it does to track/race tires.

no tire, no matter how well it is scrubbed in will provide grip if it is not at operating temperature.

The only "break-in" period there has been was getting the release compounds off the tire. Scrubbing the tire is a process that should be complete by the time you get home, or else you should be trying harder.
As reciprocity suggests, looks like the slick release compounds are no longer used, so this procedure is relegated to tradition rather than necessity.

I can tell the difference between the release compounds used by the different tire manufacturers.

The noobs you speak of are not crashing on tires that are slippery from mold release, they are crashing on tires that lack grip as the are not at operating temperature.

If you put that brand new tire on a tire warmer and heated it to operating temperature the tire will provide the most grip the second it comes of the tire warmer when it is brand new.

This applies to street tires as much as it does to track/race tires.

no tire, no matter how well it is scrubbed in will provide grip if it is not at operating temperature.

Well then.. I stand corrected!

Now excuse me while I go hang my head in shame :(

I can tell the difference between the release compounds used by the different tire manufacturers.

Damn, that's good. I can tell the difference in lube used by condom manufacturers, I haven't graduated to tires yet.

Lol.

Sandpaper is for wood. Just ride the ******* thing :) my Metzeler ME880s lost traction out on me twice in rain in the first 50 km and after that have been amazing. Don't know how I rode the stock Maxxis for 24k km. Those things sure did last though.

It doesn't hurt to take it easy the first few kms, but I took my brand new Dunlop Sportmaxc Q2 (thanks to pro 6 cycle) to the track to break them in :)

I love the feeling of new tires, the responsiveness alone is like night and day.

Back
Top Bottom