Boat Rentals | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boat Rentals

I was speaking with my buddies about the 'free' boat that they got to use from their boss. I believe it's a 90s bowrider of some sort.

$250 to fill up at the marina, and all good for now.

Let's just say that they had a not so happy face when faced with the bill to winterize....IIRC last they told me it's about 2k (some minor maintenance, and wrapping the boat in prep for winter).

I didn't ask as I tried not to laugh.

Needless to say...our days of considering to buy a boat are effectively over once we tallied the 'how much for buying it? how much are we actually going to use it?' discussion was held.
A colleague came from the boat show talking about a small runabout only being $XXX per month. I pointed out that the $XXX per month continued through the winter when it was in the back yard covered in a foot of snow.

Launch to haul out is typically five months with two of those being marginal.

Fiberglass boats last a long time, the payments even longer.

Ya….owner bought the boat (or got it as payment for a job), and owner pays insurance.

The guys are responsible for maintenance, and storage.

Honestly it doesn’t sound like too bad of a deal.

It is a good deal so long as people understand that a free boat is only free up until the second they get handed the keys. Or the boat is actually worth serious money and the deal is very beneficial.

Like I said, my sisters and BIL’s boat may end up being a free giveaway when it’s said and done as a cottage boat for someone, but the new owner better well understand it’s still going to cost them many thousands of dollars a year to use regardless. Unless we’re just talking a runabout that can sit and rot in someone’s driveway, or someone has a big enough piece of property to store something big and also just let it sit, a free boat is going to cost you a lot every single year regardless of being “free”.

Last edited:
We get one or two every year “abandoned “ at our yacht club . Engine is pooched , guys wife hates the boat ,deck is rotten , whatever . It’s 3k to be in the water and 2.5k winter , 5k a year with a boat valued at 5k , they ghost on us .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I was out for a walk and a guy on a street nearby was emptying out his large boat.

He said he goes to marinas at the end of the year and there is always an abandoned boat where an owner comes and signs the ownership to their boat so the Marina can take it as payment for delinquent fees.

Says they typically go for a song just to have someone take it off the marinas hands.

Speaking boats - wonder what yacht "toll" will be for the Florida hurricanes,
Round two coming up ....or is that round 3.... 🍿

I recall when cyclone Yasi came ashore at Cardwell 150 km south of us.
1728499360963.png
With upsized footprint of the latest storms....nowhere to run or hide.
Many take their boats into the mangroves here.

Insurance in Florida is going to be basically unobtainable for anything at all in the coming years. Underwriters are already fleeing in droves.

Bruckmann builds beautiful boats. .

Bruckmann boats are special , Mark Bruckmann has been an acquaintance for yrs . He supervised the refit on the 43 we sailed to Tahiti and the 59 we raced a season or so before she moved to Chicago . His dad Erick ran the original custom shop for C&C here in Oakville doing astounding work , the original Bruckmann shop is in my harbour in Bronte . Such cool history.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Bruckmann boats are special , Mark Bruckmann has been an acquaintance for yrs . He supervised the refit on the 43 we sailed to Tahiti and the 59 we raced a season or so before she moved to Chicago .

1728520973977.png

It is a good deal so long as people understand that a free boat is only free up until the second they get handed the keys. Or the boat is actually worth serious money and the deal is very beneficial.

Like I said, my sisters and BIL’s boat may end up being a free giveaway when it’s said and done as a cottage boat for someone, but the new owner better well understand it’s still going to cost them many thousands of dollars a year to use regardless. Unless we’re just talking a runabout that can sit and rot in someone’s driveway, or someone has a big enough piece of property to store something big and also just let it sit, a free boat is going to cost you a lot every single year regardless of being “free”.
In a BS discussion a fellow boater said if he won a Powerball lottery he'd buy all his friends boats. Would they be able to keep them?

We get one or two every year “abandoned “ at our yacht club . Engine is pooched , guys wife hates the boat ,deck is rotten , whatever . It’s 3k to be in the water and 2.5k winter , 5k a year with a boat valued at 5k , they ghost on us .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
At any responsible marina the boat has to be insured and if older, that means a survey. That usually means a lot of work or money.

Garbage attracts garbage so marinas don't want the liabilities of the derelicts. If everything on the boat is baffed, salvage items aren't worth enough to pay for the transport and tipping fees to scrap a derelict hull.

We just scrapped an "aboandoned" boat , F'er moved to BC and dumped us with the boat , it costs us $800 to get a title ( through a lawyer that does this , ALL month long) . The scrapper that takes them gets $1000 in lead from the keel and between $100 to 5K for the rest of the parts. working self tail winches are worth $500-800ea used , a mast is 3k to as much as 15K used , booms $300-800. stainless bits are all over the map. Since many parts on sailboats can swap from one brand to another , there is a large and ready market . Even a used power cord is worth $100.
Power boats are very brand specific so except anchors and accessories , you get a srcap engine and a pile of fiberglass, so way less salvage values.
I get one or two calls a season, can I donate my boat to your sailing school? hell no , thanks very much

At any responsible marina the boat has to be insured and if older, that means a survey. That usually means a lot of work or money.

Garbage attracts garbage so marinas don't want the liabilities of the derelicts. If everything on the boat is baffed, salvage items aren't worth enough to pay for the transport and tipping fees to scrap a derelict hull.
almost any marina now will have to have insurance , if a boat sinks at the dock (happens more than you think) or starts a fire , the marina is now called co defendent if the boat is uninsured. Its on every seasonal rental agreement , even in hicksville, if you dont have to actually spell it out you tick a box that says your insured. Tick and dont have it and sign the form , its fraud. The Ontario marina association has templates to help small operators , even at peckerwood lodge they belong to the marina operators association for the group rates on operators insurance.
When your travelling transient , you fill out an overnight form , and it has a box you tick "i;m insured' , you might not be , squid boaters, but its fraud if the worst happens
Surveys , like fake safety checks , are worth what you paid for, but they are about $15ft for a recreational boat. And most insurance companies want one every 5 yrs. Its worth doing on a used boat as not everyone knows how to find a wet hull , or in the excitement you overlook exhaust hoses that are 10yrs old, or a leaking bellows that will cost thousands to fix . Cottage boats are not needed as they are often worth under $25k , but get over 30K and your getting surveys .
We include a 'hold harmless' waiver with our dock rentals and winter storage , as well as being insured , it means you cant hold my boat club reponsible for anything . Our lawyer takes lots of our money to keep us safe from the members lol .

Apparently this was in the Perry Sound Harbour this morning

1729115281809.png

1729115259893.png

Apparently this was in the Perry Sound Harbour this morning

View attachment 70458

View attachment 70457
$12K per person for a 1-week cruise on the Great Lakes from Toronto to Milwaukee.

$12K per person for a 1-week cruise on the Great Lakes from Toronto to Milwaukee.

What the hell do the great lakes have to offer that is worth $12k.

Am I the only one that thinks that's crazy.

Back
Top Bottom